Insatiable: The Compelling Story of Four Teens, Food and Its Power
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£9.70+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 25 January 2008
I absolutely love this book... I don't own it, but I will be buying it just so that I can read it again! I really couldn't put it down and read it very quickly.

This book is about four teens, Jess who is severely anorexic and eats *nothing* solid at all, Phoebe who is a compulsive overeater and then there's Samantha who is also anorexic, but eats a little and Hannah who is bulimic.

It follows their very realistic stories and lives as they try to deal with adolecense and their eating disorders. It incorporates their school and home lives into the storyline exceptionally well. For example, Phoebe's strained relationship with her photogropher father, who finds it difficult to show his daughter love and is always berating her because of her weight. And Hannah who lost her mother to anorexia and now suffers from bulimia herself. She's also obsessed with death and always thinks she's dying. The book also deals with the issue of self harming.

This book flows brilliantly, but at times the pace is somewhat confusing, as it goes back and fourth between the teens, until they meet at a therapy group, known as 'Tuesday Group'. Until that point in the book, I sometimes found it hard to remember which teen had which disorder and found myself writing notes, lol.

The ending had me begging for more and I hated how abrupt it was, for this I would have given it one star less, until I found out that there IS in fact a sequel (hallelujah!), called 'Ravenous' (which is on it's way to me, in the post as I type, lol and I can't wait for it to arrive!), which apparently continues with Tuesday Group and the lives of the girls.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has any kind of eating disorder, as it covers all four eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, C(ompulsive)O(ver)E(eating) and ED-N(ot)O(therwise)S(pecified) - obviously not every kind of NOS), or even anyone considering *trying* to 'develop' an ED as an 'answer to their problems', it would soon have you thinking otherwise - which, as a sufferer of all four ED's at some point or other in my life, would be a good thing, trust me. It shows you that anorexia is not 'glamorous' and does involve health problems, pain and even death. I would also recommend it to parents/guardians/family of sufferers, it explains a LOT of how eating disordered teens think and feel.

I just hope that Ravenous is every bit as good as Insatiable!
on 20 December 2008
I was a bit dubious about this book at first, as the synopsis suggests that it will attempt to cover all types of eating disorders in one book. Although this is slightly true, it does so in a realistic way. It isn't irritating like other books that do a similar thing (eg. Running On Empty)

It is easy to read and the characters are likeable. If you enjoy it you will definitely enjoy the sequel - Ravenous.
on 25 May 2001
I read this book in less than a week - it was so good! The stories are suprisingly true to life and keep you turning the pages. If there is one book you are going to buy then it should be this one. Eve Eliot is an amazing writer and it shows in this book. "Insatiable" is definately the best book I have read all year. Thumbs up!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Even though this is a typical 'teenage book' I loved the story line and that all of them were so real. A good read and very insightful.