on 12 July 1999
This book has made a difference in my life! I have read several yoga books, but "The New Yoga for People Over 50" by Suza Francina spoke to my special needs. If you are seeking answers for questions relating to menopause, osteoporosis, healthy heart, etc., seek no more. This book provides answers. Her chapter on feet and knees is extremely helpful, providing the groundwork for specific needs. I keep this book handy as an excellent reference manual, both for myself and my friends. Additionally, this book is an inspiration to learn and practice yoga. The models are real and most are definitely over 50 years old. This in itself is an incentive. When you see people in their 70's and 80's, you are encouraged that you, too, can do yoga well into your "golden" years. After reading her book, I was excited to learn that I am close enough to Ojai (an hour's drive but well worth it) to take classes by Suza. She is an empowering teacher as well as a talented author. If you cannot attend a class, "The New Yoga for People Over 50" will more than suffice. Buy more than one; you'll want to share with a friend. Enjoy!
on 21 October 1998
I bought this book on my 50th birthday a few weeks ago, and was inspired to begin practicing some of the poses almost immediately.
I only wish it had been available 20 years ago, aimed at people over 30...It is the only exercise program I have been able to follow every day, and the only one that leaves you feeling better after finishing!
Of all the excellent books on Iyengar's style of Hatha Yoga, this one is the best introduction because of its emphasis on ways that stiff and overweight beginners can modify the poses to get started. The photos show models of advanced age who started late in life, so you can't help thinking if they can do it, then so can I. Couple this one with either The Runner's Yoga Book (J. Couch) or Light on Yoga (B.K.S. Iyengar himself) for exact descriptions of the ideal poses, and you can even get started at home, if you live in a small town like mine with no easy access to teachers.
on 11 February 1999
I love this book. It is one of a kind. The other books on yoga show young people in impossible poses and don't show the gradual process of getting there or the intermediate poses that will get you there eventually. I am only 41 years old, but find this book extremely helpful and encouraging. I love seeing the pictures of older people looking so healthy and vibrant. It gives me hope for the future and shows you that getting older only means getting wiser, more flexible and healthier. Thank you Suza!
on 16 February 2011
I bought this book as I am beginning to get some older people coming to my class and want to know how best to adapt the class for them. This book is dreadful - ridiculous expectations for what can be achieved. I teach yoga and would struggle to achieve some of the postures shown. The layout of the book is repitious and badly organised. Keep Moving Keep Young by Margaret Graham is a much better guide.
on 10 November 1998
Helpful when planning classes and practice not only for older beginners, but also for students experiencing particular stiffness in younger bodies! Suza writes with a real sensitivity and its pleasure to learn from her wealth of experience.
on 9 October 1998
Suza Francina is the most caring, articulate spokesperson I have ever known. Her sensitivity and awareness are unsurpassed, and she makes her knowledge easily accessible through her book, The New Yoga for People Over 50. The title is misleading, because this book is an indispensible guide to healthful living for all age groups, and is especially suitable for beginning yoga students. It is also an invaluable guide to those who aspire to teach, especially in the gentleness of its approach and the use of props to achieve results quickly and with greater ease. I recommend it very highly. Buy it today!
on 15 May 2009
Although the book is a tad old fashioned with it's black and white photographs it's never the less most inspiring.
I'm in my late 40's and have been practising yoga on and off for the last 5 years and consider myself to still come under the beginners heading. With this in mind and the fact I have some stiff and sore joints to contend with I wanted a book to show me possible modified versions of some of the harder poses.
This book does just that and more. I read it from cover to cover finding lots of useful information and seeing the over 50's holding difficult poses was so inspiring that it's kinda freshened up my whole perspective.
I now intend to get her other more recent book about 'ageing and yoga' which looks to be a little more modern (pics in colour).
I thoroughly recommend this book and would suggest that you not be put off by the slightly dated presentation because the information is so useful and heartwarming.
on 22 July 1998
I LOVE this book... and am encouraging all my students to get it. It is an inspiration to all ages. It is so wonderful to have a book that savors the wisdom of yogis over 50 who have been incorporating yoga into their lives for many years. The results are beautiful. The book is educational and fun to read.
on 21 April 2010
This book reads like a sales pitch. It is accompanied by photographs of many near-impossible postures for beginners, especially older people. It contains a minimum of practical instruction accompanied by page after page of exhortation. It is motivational material for numbskulls. Mostly advertising.

I greatly regretted buying this book.
on 14 April 2011
Having health problems but not being over fifty I bought this book, as I thought it would help me with modifications but found this very americanised, the pictures are in black and white,you need to have slings and ropes to put you into the positions if you are unable to achieve them without, if I wanted to do that I'd have a wall full looking like a torture chamber. I have other books which are much better than this which I use regularly, this I read the once and never looked at again.