4.0 out of 5 stars A real eye-opener
Published on 24 May 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars good theoretical text on family systems
Having read many books on the subject of being an adult child, this is the most theoretical I have come across so far.

Published on 14 July 2006 by jessica rabbit

4.0 out of 5 stars A real eye-opener, 24 May 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Family: A New Way of Creating Solid Self-esteem (Paperback)
This books has been incredibly helpful for me, an adult child of an alcoholic. I read it several years ago when a friend told me that my Dad was an alcoholic. My family always denied the truth, but after reading this book, I could no longer pretend that all was well in my family of origin. This book is very insightful and describes the intricacies of the relationships that exist in both functional and dysfunctional families. It's a great first step in discovering the underlying motivations for compulsive/obsessive behaviors that many of us exhibit.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing look at family issues, 25 Aug. 1998
By A Customer
I cannot recommend this book more highly to anyone who has wondered how their family dynamics have shaped their personality. This book truly gives you the tools you need to get past your family control dramas and move on to being a self-actuated adult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information, easy to read and understand, 30 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
Bradshaw presents the information in a very logical, non-threatening way. It was easy to read and understand. It makes so much sense. He gives concrete, workable solutions. I felt very relieved and hopeful after reading the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars good theoretical text on family systems, 14 July 2006

It helps to firmly place the problems of addiction and codependency within a social framework and has helped me with my journey in seeing that my parents are simply acting out ways in which they themselves were brought up as were their parents before them and so on.

Although there are some practical suggestions for action towards the end of the book, I found this book to be of most use in the understanding of how my own codepency issues fit into a wider picture of society. Other books I have read provide more specific exercises on recovering self-esteem for example "Do I have to give up me to be loved by you?" (The workbook) by Margaret and Jordan Paul and "An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal" by Friel and Friel.

Overall I would say this book is a very interesting read in terms of fitting the specific problems of addiction/codependency/adult children into the problems of our society in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars the family, 12 Aug. 2010
I have previously read this book and it is a valuable resource. I have ordered a copy for my wife as a gift but after 2 months still received it. No explanations or appologies from Amazon only requests to keep waiting. the book good, customer service extremely poor...

4.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the past and present, 1 Aug. 2013
I like this book for it's chapters and summary; it helps to understand where I've come from. Some of the language isn't as straight forward to aid a wider audience though - some previous knowledge and understanding is a help. Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that would benefit society and families if only everyone would read it and take it on board there would be real change an, 29 Oct. 2014
Absolutely mind blowing. A book for society. A book that would benefit society and families if only everyone would read it and take it on board there would be real change and development and more love and understanding in this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars written with great personal passion as well as theoretical accuracy, 5 Nov. 2014
The ultimate guide to self awareness & healing, written with great personal passion as well as theoretical accuracy

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
As described, a bargain

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrived very badly damaged. Over priced considering the state it arrived in, 28 April 2015
This book was sold as NEW but arrived very badly damaged. I am not impressed considering the price

The Family: A New Way of Creating Solid Self-esteem
The Family: A New Way of Creating Solid Self-esteem by John Bradshaw (Paperback - 1 Jan. 1991)