Format: Card Book|Change

on 22 November 2008
I bought this even though it was quite expensive and I have not regretted it. It's actually 3 pages (they should have depicted it properly on the amazon page) and it folds out. I bought it because I loved the painting and I had a peek into a door and that's lovely too. Can't wait for December to start.
0Comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2010
This Advent Calendar was definitely the most attractive I have had - I hate these chocolate ones so am always looking for one with beautiful scenery. I had this for the children on the kitchen table all through December with a candle in the middle ~(it folds out and stands up) and when the lights were dimmed it looked lovely, especially after all the doors were opened. The big double wooden door you see in the illlustration is number 24 and behind it is the nativity scene in all its glory. Definitely to be recommended.
33 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2009
My boyfriend bought me this advent calendar last Christmas and I can truly say it is the most beautiful, magical advent calendar I have ever had. It opens out so is quite large and the painting is wonderful. You will want to keep it forever.
33 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2010
Beautiful, sturdy, and with several pictures behind the doors and windows which are - for once - relevant to Advent. Will probably buy the same again for our 3 year old next year. She still talks about it now, in the middle of January.
on 11 October 2010
What is Christmas without an Advent Calendar?

This has to be one of the best around. It reminds of Christmases past spent at my Grandmothers house many years ago. It was a magical time for me and this brings back those memories.

Price doesn't matter it's the glow it gives me when I look at it!

My Christmas will be all the more special as I open each and every window. I cannot wait for December 1st.

I highly recommend this item :)
on 3 January 2010
FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT IS RELATED TO THE CHRISTMAS STORY WITH A MODERN DAY TWIST. BEAUTIFUL WITH A LIGHT/ CANDLE SITTING BEHIND IT, FOR EFFECT. TASTEFUL. THUMBS UP FROM ALL THOSE THAT I SENT IT TO.
on 6 January 2011
This is one of the best advent calendars I have ever had! It stood on my living room shelf with fairy lights behind which illuminated the pictures of each window and door as I opened them. On Christmas Eve the complete scene depicted was magical. The artwork is beautiful and due to its large size and the way it folds, it has a 3-D appearance. It was like a decoration as well as a calendar and my husband, daughter and friends thought it looked amazing. The individual pictures are relevant to the overall scene and the calendar itself celebrates the true meaning of Christmas. My family and I have thoroughly enjoyed this advent calendar and it will be on display again next Christmas.
on 7 December 2009
I bought this for my daughter instead of one of the chocolate ones. Wasn't quite sure what her reaction would be, but she loves it. We have set it up in front of the tree and the lights shine through the little windows that have been opened...lovely!
on 19 December 2011
Careful: spoilers!
This is a very beautiful adventcalendar, and one that is a million miles removed from all the loud, in-your-face, cartoonish atrocities that are out there. The scene is a quiet little wintertown, and with every door it springs more to life. Animals in the forest, people preparing for Christmas, lighting candles, baking, angels watching etc. It's been made in Germany and therefore English or Irish children will be surprised to find Santa behind door no.6. But in Germany, and many other continental countries, the 6th of December is the much anticipated St. Nikolaus day, who in turn would become Santa in English speaking countries. And behind the 24th door is the Holy Family, which I think, is much more important than Santa. The fact that the calendar folds out in a couple of different ways is a lovely bonus too, and if you place candles behind it, the little open windows will light up. All in all a wistful, gorgeous calendar that's a joy to open every day.
on 14 December 2009
This compares well to 2 other advent calendars we have up this year. The pictures behind the windows blend in nicely (unlike the other 2 we have, which are random pictures unrelated to the foreground - one of a German Christmas market and one of a church scene). Similar quality to Phoenix Cards advent calendars. Images are generally non-religious.