on 2 December 1998
As a business developer in the IT services industry, I can recommend this book wholeheartedly. It is by far the best, most coherent book on the subject I've found anywhere.
Ford Harding has only managed to do even better than his first book, "Rain Making -- The Professional's Guide to Attracting New Clients" (a book I picked up back in 1996 when I first started out in the discipline, and which I have re-read again since purchasing Harding's lastest work).
This book does much to dispell many of the buiness development myths or common fatal mistakes perpetuated by many sales and marketing managers. Most businesses approach account development either by the seat of their pants, if at all, or they place all their eggs in one basket, building heightened, unrealistic expectations from that all-important, one-shot-take-all telemarketing or direct mail campaign. A common mistake I have witnessed firms making is that they don't treat business development and lead generation as an ongoing, continuous system -- a plan, a network, a philosophy. By revealing business development as a system, Ford Harding's "Creating Rainmakers" helps to shine a big light on a big problem in today's world of business marketing, especially in the profesional services disciplines.
This book clearly outlines all the many components of a comprehensive, ongoing system for continuous lead generation, beyond mere "networking." The service sector, particularly hi-tech services, continues to thrive and grow as a vital part of our "knowledge economy." And business development, or effective Rainmaking, will only become more critical as we enter the 21st century.
on 15 October 2002
This book is a must for all Solicitors to read as it covers the ways that solicitors attract and maintain their Clients.The book covers the background to the Marketing department and explains in detail the types of techniques used for Solicitors to sell and Market their Corporate Image via PR Events etc. It then describes the problems people have in dealing with selling their Professional skills. It further describes the differences between Product and Professional Sales which can help any Solicitor develop confidence in his/her ability. The book further describes the characteristics of a rainmaker very accurately and shows how Solicitors can become Rainmakers.An excellent description of Networking targetting and all that a Lawyer really needs to know about Selling in his world.
An excellent overall book I would have no hesitation in recommending to all Solicitors and Advocates at all levels.
on 15 April 1999
I am a consultant in a company which does not have an organised rainmaker system (yet). As such, much of what I read in this book was new to me and I have discussed its contents with my boss. I think that this book will help us to improve our business. It is full of insightful ideas.