on 13 July 2001
I have read many good and helpful books but this is the only one which gives an effective strategy on where to start. With a demanding and misbehaving child,a parent can be easily overwhelmed when they try to change unwanted behaviours or wear themselves out tackling only the symptoms of the problem. This book focuses on the way children talk and relate during discipline which is easily overlooked when trying to correct a misbehaviour. It also lists the many parenting styles that do not work and why. I have recommended this book to several friends who have found it very readable and very easy to work with. We used this book in conjunction with "The Manipulative Child" and our child is now happy, confident and fun to be around. People are constantly remarking on the positive changes.
on 19 December 2001
I found this book very easy to read and full of common sense. It does not preach at you but instead guides you through easy-to-understand steps to allow you to feel more in control as a parent. I highly recommend it.
on 15 November 2002
While the book is somewhat repetitious, the information it gives is well worth repeating. The parent-reader is encouraged by the fact that all misbehavior must be dealt with on its lowest level. This makes it simple. Incidentally, I was encouraged that I had even been doing some things right, like modeling correct behaviour/speech patterns; this technique really works. I highly recommend this book.
on 18 March 1999
As a family therapist, I often recommend Dr. Garvey's excellent book to my clients. The feedback has been uniformly positive and many of the parents tell me it's the most useful book on parenting they've read!