5.0 out of 5 stars great recipes
Being vegan, I didnt think there was a lot i could do with a slow cooker as most things cook quite easily. This book has shown me otherwise. Its great being able to prepare something the night before then come home from work with dinner ready. Not all recipes are full meals, eg some are seitan recipes, but the ones we have made are simple and tatse great.
Published 23 months ago by Moo!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cook book
Very American,so some ingredients not available or difficult to get here in Portugal .I have only tried a couple of recipes,and the both needed some adaptation to get the to our tastes,but I will continue trying others.
Published on 27 Nov 2012 by Jjdrew

4.0 out of 5 stars A great companion to "Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker", 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker (Paperback)
I first heard of Robin Robertson from her yuba-wrapped vegetarian haggis in Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are. Now Robin has released a slow-cooker book catering to vegans, but you certainly don't have to be vegan (or even vegetarian!) to enjoy it. You'll find many surprising and tasty international influences within, like Vietnamese pho, three-bean cholent, Moroccan tempeh and chickpeas with prunes and apricots, French cassoulets, Greek beans, Latin updates (chimichurri spaghetti squash, layered tamale pie, seitan ropa vieja) and even a touch of soul food.

If you're new to slow cookers, you'll find a handy chapter on slow cooker basics, including crockery care caveats (say that three times fast!), slow cooker points and pointers, tips for slow-cooking success, timing factors, and an in-depth look at ingredients (beans, packaged meat alternatives, vegan thickeners, etc.). Recipes are labeled whether there is a gluten- and/or soy-free option; however, no nutritional info is provided.

Like her previous slow-cooker book (and those by other authors like Michele Scicolone), you will find many recipes that recommend sauteeing veggies and/or spices in a skillet before adding them to the slow cooker. Yes, this results in extra pots and pans and prep time, but it adds a whole other layer of flavor to the finished dish.

I tried several dishes, including the layered tapenade potatoes, slow-cooker pho, and the piña colada cake (which I baked up in muffin tins instead of cake form).

*The layered tapenade potatoes had a great depth of flavor from the combination of the olives (I used kalamata instead of green), sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and capers; this would be good on its own as a dip. I like lots of crunchy topping, so I added extra toasted panko (the recipe only calls for 3 tablespoons).

* The pho had a rich, spicy broth made with whole star anise and cloves (I used Bouquet Garni Bags for easier removal). I also used a different kind of miso that I had on hand. This would make a great breakfast soup on its own without the rice noodles, much like miso is served in Japan.

*Finally, I tried the piña colada cake, which is rich with three types of coconut (shredded unsweetened, coconut extract, and cream of coconut), a splash of dark rum, and pineapple chunks and juice. These baked up super-moist, and I added additional shredded coconut after applying the glaze.

One thing to note: the bean recipes call for precooked beans, either canned or homemade, so make sure you have some form of cooked beans on hand before starting the recipes. One of the few recipes that calls for dried beans is the three-bean cholent, which has a recommended cooking time of 8 to 11.5 hours or overnight.

I've already bookmarked many other recipes to try (the ribollita is next on my list). I particularly liked the breakfast and dessert chapters, which feature cakes, bread pudding, and breads. The hot sangria from the hot drinks chapter will also be in frequent rotation, and you'll find plenty of appetizing nibbles to serve with the various punches (spiced rum punch, celebration punch, blushing spiced cider). There is sufficient variety and dishes to suit every taste to keep you happily coming back to Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker.

5.0 out of 5 stars great recipes, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... reviews and was not so sure because I don't like cooking books without pictures, 12 Nov 2014
G. Arena (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker (Paperback)
I read the other reviews and was not so sure because I don't like cooking books without pictures... at least some! However, I was intrigued by the "Chilli chapter" and went ahead and bought the book... I am so glad I did it!!! This has become my favourite slow cooker book ever, I have already made many dishes and they have all turned out quite well. A first for me, I also made a bread pudding in it and everyone loved it... thank you very much!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cook book, 27 Nov 2012
Jjdrew "jackie Drew" (Portugal) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 July 2014
Great Book - Amazing recipes

Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker
Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson (Paperback - 5 Oct 2012)