5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic low fat vegan slow cooker book
Published on 13 July 2008 by veganflowerchild

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great for a UK cook
This is an American cookbook using American ingredients, American names for foods and American measurements.
Published on 3 July 2009 by chillinb

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great for a UK cook, 3 July 2009
I have American conversion tables for measurements and food names on my fridge and I shop in an American Navy base supermarket, but I still struggle with these recipes. In addition many of the recipes require quite a lot of different ingredients, so you are unlikely to have them all in your store cupboard without prior planning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic low fat vegan slow cooker book, 13 July 2008
I bought this book with very low expectations, but what a brilliant book. Not only is is vegetarian, it is vegan and low fat. I have worked my way through some of the book creating tasty and satisfying main meals and still have loads of things to try. Everyone was a winner, even the recipes I thought might not be to my taste! On the strength of this book I have bought more of Robin Robertsons cookery books and have not been disappointed. One word of warning though, this is an American cookery book and has American cup measures which scare some people. No problem, go and buy a set of American cup measures and you're away. It's actually a lot easier than weighing everything!

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I got this., 27 Feb 2012
I got given a slow cooker and was expecting to make nothing but stew and soup. I did some internet searching and came across this title. After seeing it had Bourbon-Spiked Pumpkin Bread Pudding in it, I clicked "BUY". And am totally glad I did. Still not made any puddings but working my way through it. Everything so far has been really tasty, I even bought another slow cooker !

Today I made "Mac and Cheese Florentine" (though it has no cheese in!) and was thoroughly impressed.

Everything in it is Vegan too, which is unusual for "vegetarian" cook books, they usually get as much eggs and cheese in as they can.

I live alone and do a lot of cooking "ready meals for one" for the freezer, this is the perfect companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars not just for vegetarians, 17 April 2010
I wasn't 100% sure this would be a good purchase, but went with it because of the promised tips. I love the great section on cooking basic beans, and the fact that she gives slow cooker sizes (so you know how to adjust ingredents before you fill it up and see that it's overflowing, or hardly full at all). Less useful is that it's all in American sizes, and some recipes call for funny ingredents. When I first bought it, I was frustrated that it seemed like yet another cookbook for SAHMs, rather than real people who are out (you know, the ones who use their slow cookers?), but then I actually looked for recipes that take 6-8 hours to cook, and gave up after bookmarking about 15 or so. While that seems like pathetically few in a book of 200 recipes, given that there's about 15 recipes in the "apetizers and snacks" section, and 11 in condiments-- who knew you could make chutney in a slow cooker?, and 20 in the deserts section and 9 in drinks, it's not such a small proportion of mains that can take all day vs mains that you have to fuss with, and there's plenty of random cool things you could do with your slow cooker. I'd also recommend this to meat eaters, too, for interesting additions to the menu when a veggie comes to visit. Put a roast in the oven for yourself, and one of these dishes in the slow cooker, and off you go. I've made 3 of the recipes in the 3 weeks since i've had this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars You eat first with your eyes, 12 Jan 2013
M. Stewart - See all my reviews
Paying 20 for a cookbook, with no pictures and with type large enough to be in the visually impaired section is just a little too much for me. i cant comment on the quality of the content because i sent i straight back, before i lost the chance. i cant remember the last time i was so disappointed with a purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Veggie slow cooker recipes, 6 April 2010
D. L. Haxton (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This book was well written, clear recipes and extemely helpful for a new slow cooker! The recipes were very varied. I would certainly recommend the book.Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Veggie meals, 6 Sep 2013
This and 200 more Slow Cooker Recipes have opened up my usage of my slow cooker. This one is easy to follow, though the American wording for things and sizes can be a bit hard to follow

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, 23 Nov 2012
C. Nichols (Redditch, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Being new to slow cooker cooking I find this book a real help! Would definitely recommend and it arrived quickly.