5.0 out of 5 stars Yellow Jersey in Style

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read if you can get through the first half
Published on 17 Oct 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Yellow Jersey in Style, 4 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Yellow Jersey (Paperback)
Have read this book several times, and never get tired of it. You don't have to be a keen Amateur, or pro cyclist to enjoy this brilliantly written story. The subject matter is all based on the biggest cycle race in the world,namely, the Tour De France, and Mr Hurne has captured it perfectly. His knowledge of pro cycling and it's competitors, and those within the organization is first class. He has such an easy and compelling style of writing that is perfectly suited to the nature of the story. Definitely 5 stars from me. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars After I read it I had to get on by bike, and I just rode., 12 Mar 1998
This review is from: The Yellow Jersey (Paperback)
I have read very few books that I could not put down; this was one of them. I don't race, but I love to ride, especially long tours. I actually felt I was riding the tour, I felt tired, exhilerated, beaten, all at the appropriate times in the book. He was a little consumed with his sexual prowess, but maybe this is the real Ralph Hume! My only regret is that there is no apparent sequel, I am left wanting, sort of an empty feeling, like when you read the last Sherlock Holmes adventure! Please, Ralph, let us know what happened to the rest of your character's life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining Story - Difficult to Put-Down, 19 Nov 1998
This review is from: The Yellow Jersey (Paperback)
THE YELLOW JERSEY is a highly entertaining story on one level and a case study of humanity on another level; it is to cyclists what Golf in the Kindom by Michael Murphy is to golfers, but witout the mystery. Anyone interested in bicycle racing will love this book. It is the most entertaining novel that I have read in years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read if you can get through the first half, 17 Oct 1998
This review is from: The Yellow Jersey (Paperback)
I have to say in the end, I really did enjoy this book. I also have to say I'm a road cyclist. I came close to putting this book down several times during the first half. It is tough to take all of Hume's ridiculous, dated (70's), English sexist colloquial jargon. At times it is impossible for an American to understand. This book would really benefit from a bit of current editing.
That being said, the book really picks up when the Tour starts, and Hume's descriptions of the stages is riveting, original, and unpredictable.
It would be a far better book if he would have dropped all the romantic/sexual nonsense and concentrate on the cycling, which he so masterfully portrays.

The Yellow Jersey
The Yellow Jersey by Ralph Hurne (Paperback - Dec 1996)
Used & New from: £0.01