5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites
This is one of my favourite Janette Oke books. The picture she paints of a young Indian girl struggling to adjust to a new life and embracing a new God is heratbreaking
Published on 29 Oct 2006 by dulcecerise

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her best books.
Published on 30 Aug 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 29 Oct 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not a very good book., 20 Jan 2003
By A Customer
I agree with the reader from Basingstoke; this book definitely isn't one of Oke's best. Janette Oke has written some really good books, very enjoyable ones, like the "Canadian West" and the "Love Comes Softly" series. Unfortunately something happened to "Drums of Change." There really isn't anything good to say about it other than that it is all right if you want something light to read and don't have anything better. None of the characters were likeable, least of all Running Fawn herself. In fact, I thought this whole book was rather insulting to Indians. Take Running Fawn's insane bathing episode, for instance. I think this scene was supposed to be cute, or pathetic, or something, but it instead makes Indians look plain dumb. Running Fawn's attempt at running away was just about as crazy. Again, you're supposed to feel sorry for her, but her stupidity just makes one annoyed at her. Then, on top of all that, there's this missionary who first saw her when he was nearly twenty and Running Fawn was, like, six years old; then when she grows up he decides he likes her. So then you are disgusted with the missionary. I have nothing against a guy wanting to marry someone half his age, (someone whom he's watched grow up from a little kid!) but Oke should have rationalized his sudden interest and given us a good reason for it instead of springing it on us... Overall, I wasn't very impressed with this book. It seemed rather stereotypical and also degrading to the intelligence of Indians. And no, I am not an Indian. But I still didn't like the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her best books., 30 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Running Fawn is born into the Blackfoot tribe as the white man is encroaching and the great buffalo herds are diminishing then disappearing. Should her tribe continue their nomadic lifestyle or move to a reserve? Should they fight the white man or come to terms with them? How will they cope when the white man's diseases ravage the Blackfoot nation? What about the white man's religion, brought by a young missionary?
The essentials are there for a great novel, but Janette Oke manages to skip over these great issues. She also fails to fill in many details of the story: for instance, the heroine is sent away to boarding school for a number of years to learn the white man's ways, yet we're never told anything of what she learnt.
I didn't personally find any of the characters convincing or interesting and couldn't have cared whether Running Fawn lived or died or whom, if anyone, she married.
I personally think that Janette Oke has done a lot better than this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light historical fiction, 10 May 2014
This is the story of a Native American group, beset by changes when the white men arrived – some positive, some not so good

There's a low-key Christian message (one of the white men is a missionary) and an even lower-key romantic thread. It brings alive some of the customs of the time, and the cultural difficulties as people tried to adapt and adjust to each other. Overall, a pleasant light read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralled, 4 Oct 2013
A slow start, but the story was set very well. Loved the detail throughout. Strong Gospel message and a real response to It. I enjoyed this book, only sad it's the last in this series, having read them all. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books you will ever read!, 6 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Drums of Change: The Story of Running Fawn (Women of the West (Bethany House Paperback)) (Paperback)
Janette Oke is my favorite author, and this is my favorite book. Running Fawn is a character that seems so real that by the end of the book, she felt like my best friend. I could feel everything she was going through. I wanted to cry when she was miserable at the school. No matter how many books I read, this will always be my favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty, Suspence, Romance, you'll laugh. you'll cry...., 20 July 1999
By A Customer
I absolutley adored this book! It was magnificently peiced together to form the most beautiful love story. If you read one book, make it this one!

3.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and historical book, 10 May 1999
By A Customer
I love books by Janette Oke. This one was great. It had a really interesting storyline and taught you a lot of facts about history. I learned things I had never known that helped me in school. The book was not my favorite because it did get a little long. It then picked up a lot. I definitly recomend it!

Used & New from: 0.01