5.0 out of 5 stars Holistic Anatomy, by Pip Waller, 1 May 2010
I. Sturgess (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holistic Anatomy: An Integrative Guide to the Human Body (Paperback)
Finally a user-friendly anatomy book! I am no scientist and all the anatomy textbooks I've looked at over the years have been really offputting and intimidating. Pip Waller's book is clearly set out and presents Western anatomy/physiology in a conventional order whilst querying many of the scientific assumptions that have shaped the discipline. It's packed with juicy and provoking insights and is written in a very readable way with clear and well-labelled illustrations. Highly recommended for the lay reader!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book on human biology with the love and awe left in!, 23 April 2010
M. Jack (Preston, UK) - See all my reviews
A very interesting and enjoyable book to read.

I am fairly familiar with the sciences and have been studying anatomy and physiology as part of my uni course, and this book, though not as in-depth as my text books, provided something they didn't - it helped link up and fill in gaps surrounding my other knowledge, giving a good grounding, looking at the body in a way that brings love and awe, and even giving ways of living a more healthy, balanced life (did you know that studies have shown paracetamol to make the flu last days longer? Now I know!)

I also like all the little deviations from mainstream science: studies done at the fringes and traditions of other cultures. This to me seems so important in a world where often only a very limited and limiting perspective is given.

So overall, I think my knowledge and life has been in someways enriched by reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Review, 21 Oct 2010
Holistic Anatomy: An Integrative Guide to the Human Body

This book is fantastic; I have read it like a novel devoured from front to back. I love Pip Waller's style of writing keeping it interesting and applicable all the way through.

Her depth of knowledge on the human body, health and spirit clearly comes across -what a total pleasure.

I am using it as a text for my students and I am sure many will learn and grow from reading this wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holistic Anatomy, 15 April 2010
V. Austin (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
I was lent this book by a friend of mine who is a massage therapist. It has been such a brilliantly useful book to have around and so so different from the usual Anatomy and Physiology books I had seen before - all of which come from the clinical, scientific side of the subject and are maddeningly complex to someone like me who starts to glaze over when faced with tricky scientific explanations! Not only is this book written in a way that anyone can understand, it is fascinating to discover things that you wouldn't find in a conventional text book on A&P. I especially like the author's notes at the bottom of the pages - little pointers to other useful books or texts and often her own musings on the subject on the page! Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket..., 29 Mar 2010
Mr. John Mchugh (UK) - See all my reviews
Pip Waller's 'Holistic Anatomy' was just the book I needed to really get to grips and truly understand the functions and sheer magic of the human body... most books I'd read before were rather too medically termed for my understanding, so coming across this book was the first time for me that such scientific knowledge started to sink in. This just goes to show that Pip Waller's in depth and accessible compilation of our anatomy is both enlightening and thoroughly engaging with its amusing, down to earth level that speaks to you rather than at you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holistic Anatomy, 27 Mar 2010
A. D. Mecklenburgh "Herbster" (Cumbria UK) - See all my reviews
Thoroughly enjoyed working with this book, it's not dry and hard work like many anatomy & physiology texts. I found the extra holistic information provided to be very interesting, it adds a more feminine dimension to a subject which often comes accross as being masculine, clinical and almost un-human in its approach.
Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliantly written and thoroughly engaging, 27 Jan 2011
F. Bonser "ChaNan" (Machynlleth, Wales) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic book, it is so well explained on so many levels, she really links everything up so its readable, and full of interesting tidbits as well as the thorough scientific stuff. The references used are excellent and it feels as if it opens new gateways so you want to learn more! Her knowledge and experience shines through and it is very engaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars informative and fun, 27 Mar 2010
Pip writes in an enthusiastic and friendly style. This book has great appeal not just for students of anatomy but also for students of life. Clear explanations and diagrams about our bodies, as well as tons of little snippets of related information. Ever wanted to know what kinds of fats are beneficial and what your body does with them?, or why measles can be good for you?, or what is the shamanic view on disease and healing? this book will answer all these questions and many more. This fabulous book re-awakened my sense of awe and wonder about how our bodies work, and how so many things in and around us are connected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holistic Anatomy, 5 May 2014
This is a ground breaking book that goes beyond being a text book for those studying human anatomy. It presents the way a body 'works' in a clear way, in simple language that is engaging. It is readable for academics, and the non-academic who wants to get some understanding, without taking an examination. It puts several points of view on health issues that are topical, such as how much water you should drink for good health. The author breathes new life into anatomy by including a holistic philosophy that gives greater meaning and reverence to the wonderful workings of our bodies. I could not put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars insightful, intelligent take on A&P, 24 Feb 2013
This book is a very user friendly naturopathically-minded take on what is usually a very deadpan linear subject and I have several of those books on my shelf, none of which really get to grips with A&P as an integrated system, mind, body and soul. It is, in short, insightful, informative and a really enjoyable read I highly recommend

Holistic Anatomy: An Integrative Guide to the Human Body
Holistic Anatomy: An Integrative Guide to the Human Body by Pip Waller (Paperback - 1 Mar 2010)
12.59