5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books
Published on 19 Aug 2009 by Booklover Ann

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, though not as David Wolfe's others.... sorry!
A great reference book, if not a little heavy-going and sometimes too many words are used to make a single point. I don't regret buying "Superfoods", but if you're looking for a single reference book to accompany your (perhaps raw) lifestyle, I'd suggest David Wolfe's "Eating for Beauty" over this one any day.
Published on 30 Jan 2011 by Victoria

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books, 19 Aug 2009
This review is from: Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future (Paperback)
I haven't had this book very long but have refered to it so much it is looking well thumbed. It is packed full of understandable and easy to read information on the new superfoods, their benefits, and even conditions needed to grow them yourself (where applicable). I'm forever refering to it to find out which superfoods help various ailments and deficiencies. I have started taking two of the foods regularly and I am beginning to feel the benefits. I plan to slowly introduce other superfoods I think may help, although some of them can be expensive and require sourcing online for the best prices (some sources are also listed in the book). If you are really interested in natural remedies and potential long longevity then I would thoroughly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, though not as David Wolfe's others.... sorry!, 30 Jan 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars THE FOOD AND MEDICINE OF THE FUTURE, 29 July 2009
Ann Hale - See all my reviews
Absolutely excellent, it is precise , you don`t have to search right through the book or have to read from start to finish, the information is right there, would definitely recommend ,probably the best health book I have purchased

5.0 out of 5 stars Superfoods are the best!, 25 Sep 2010
Cdf Morandin "CFM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
David gives a very good insight on some of the top superfoods we have on this planet. Not only nutritional value, which is really extensive in most of them, but also their history, which I find fascinating. I have started to include some of them on a daily basis and they are amazing, with some of them you can feel the effect almost immediately. And best of all, cacao (chocolate) is really good for you!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Coconuts!, 23 Jan 2011
G. Best - See all my reviews
A full-colour glossy paperback with photographs. Too many pictures of Mr Wolfe for my liking; this feature starts with the cover. My grandfather would have said that Mr Wolfe is not backwards in coming forwards.
The choice of "superfoods" appears eclectic until the penny drops that it could be business interests driving the selection. It smacks of being not the book after the film, but the book after the advertisement.
That said, for me the chapter on Coconuts and specifically their saturated fat was a revelation. As a direct result, after 30 years I have reintroduced them into my diet. And what a joy it is!
The writing is heavy-going in places. The book gives the impression of being first hammered out on some outliner and then text and pictures from multiple sources being pasted in largely unedited. There appears to be no attempt particularly to leaven some of the dense and turgid "scientific jargon" into clear prose. This is disappointing as Mr Wolfe's many appearances on the internet portray him as an effective and popular communicator.
Not a book to keep for the reference shelf, but a pretty one to pass on (one star). The emancipation of Coconuts earn it the second star!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 8 Sep 2009
A great book about all the superfoods with recipes, dosages, etc - a good book to keep referring to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous book!, 15 Nov 2012
This book has some useful information but somehow the author lures the reader into thinking that eating these foods are nescessary for great health. These foods are useless if you are not already eating a healhy diet. While some of these foods have more nutrients then other foods, one cannot eat enough of them to make a difference. Furthermore these foods are very expensive and sold by the author.
Some foods the author recommends are full of anti-nutrients. Cacao for example is a (substance) that cannot be eaten in large quantities and it is a controversial food, it contains lots of anti-nutrients and the ancients always fermented their cacao into drinks. Have you ever eaten chocolate without sugar or any sweetener (it tastes disgusting). Eating tons of raw cacao is by all means not the way to great health, nor to "have the best day ever". This book fails to tell the reader that fat soluble vitamins and certain minerals are completely lacking in his "superfoods". This book is written for people already on/or interested into a raw vegan lifestyle. Eating in such a way poses great risk for anyone wanting to stay healhty. It comes as no surprise to me that most people fail to thrive on extreme diets as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book, 27 July 2014
I was expecting this to be a book where David advises us on which superfoods to buy and why. Well in a way he does but there are so many superfoods listed that I really didn't know where to start! Also, I wouldn't say I'm a dunce when it comes to this kind of thing (as I do browse and buy from raw/vegan websites already) but I have to admit a lot of them I have never even heard of and not so sure I can buy them in the UK. After saying that I am really glad I did buy the book as it is one I can refer to time and time again over the years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Reference Book, 19 Aug 2014
I have been interested in nutrition and health for a long time and am always on the lookout for more information. I love this book, which is both readable and very informative. Have introduced a few new superfoods to my already healthy diet on the author's advice, the most important being marine phytoplankton which has already benefitted me in many ways. It would be too expensive me to take all these foods and supplements but with David Wolfe's precise information have been able to chose those most suited to my requirements. Thank you Mr Wolfe!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing supafoods information, 26 May 2011
This ~340 page book Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future contains possibly all the information that you need to use and eat superfoods. The book contains simple recipes and recipe ideas and uses of the top 10 superfoods and also includes information on other superfoods and even info on some superherbs. Would even buy more of these books as gifts. *****

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future
Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future by David Wolfe (Paperback - 1 April 2009)