Format: HardcoverChange

on 6 March 2008
Well, contrary to the first reviewer, I'm in my second year of raw food and I AM thriving!! I've read lots of raw books and some, although inspiring and entertaining, can be read in days. SDSS is different. It's a lovely long feast - and one I enjoyed over several weeks.

Every chapter starts with inspirational quotes - from the Bible, philosophers, raw fooders, self-help gurus...At least half the book isn't about raw food as such. If you see raw as 'not just about the food', but part of a bigger picture, there will be many things in SDSS that will resonate with you. If you believe life is very much what your thoughts make it, you'll find this book very motivating. To quote DW: 'To succeed in life you have to work harder. But not on your family,or on your friends, or on your job, or on whatever comes your way. You have to work harder on yourself first. Only happy people make others happy.' And: 'You will make incredible progress in your life when you accept 100% responsibility for everything that happens to you. You are where you are and who you are because of one person - yourself.'

The raw food chapters are full of advice on how to transition to a raw food diet, and the benefits of doing so, covering all the usual issues (eg protein) and discussing associated topics such as wild and hybrid food. There are also chapters on, for example, 'skin', 'teeth, 'sun', and 'breathing' - this is so much more than a book on raw food. Later chapters focus on single foods, eg the olive, the avocado, and yes it does include recipes (though just a few) and daily diet plans.

I see the prices on 'Used and New' right now are high - perhaps suggesting that people don't actually want to sell their copies? Perhaps a birthday request? Whatever the case, 'Sunfood Diet Success System' is worth the money.
on 25 May 2009
This is a must have book if you want to learn about 'raw' food philosophy. It has helped change my life for the better where I'm on a 80% raw diet and feel so much better, I don't get the review about having no more energy, at the very least I need two hours sleep less a night and have lost the gut I've been trying to get rid of for 15years. What it is not is a cook book, but then there are loads of good ones about, 'Raw' by Juliano Brotman is one we like. It covers so many related topics and pulls the whole subject together, it is BIG in it's ideas, bordering on revolutionary, bring it on!
on 15 May 2011
This book is ok and it really pushes the case for a raw food diet. I did find it inspiring but there's nothing new and original, it has all been said already. There are also poems on the book which I did find quite annoying so I skipped those.
Personally, I find David Wolfe quite annoying like a lot of these raw food movement representatives. These are people, most of them with not much education or a scientific background, have adopted the raw food lifestyle for a few years, got healthier and maybe lost lots of weight and decided that they know all about it now and should educate other people. One problem I have with that is that like in David Wolfe's books, he makes a lot of assumptions about certain things. I'm saying assumptions because there's no much material on the book to back up his statements, so I'm not sure where he gets some of the ideas from. If you've been on a raw food diet you'll know is great and makes you feel so much better but I think these people would acquire more credibility if their ideas would sound less airy fairy.
Also, the fact that he has to raise the issue against evolution and all that, who cares? I want to read a book about raw food lifestyle and scientific documentation to show that actually works.
I would suggest reading Brian Clement and Gabriel Cousens' books for more a sound and scientific knowledge on the raw food diet.
on 24 February 2011
If anyone ever asks me what book I would recommend for anyone who wants to understand the how and why of raw food, this is the one I mention first. It's easy to read and understand and makes so much sense, it makes transitioning to a healthier way of life clear and simple. David Wolfe is such a rock star - the Bono of the raw food community - and this book is one of the many reasons he is so widely respected and so popular. Despite that, the poetry still does nothing for me, sorry David!
on 24 July 2010
David Wolfe does know his stuff and he does look younger than his years. I am convinced raw food is the way forward for proper nutrition and well being. However, David Wolfe and others fill their books with so much guff about god and spiritualism it offends me. Without this blather the book would be half as thick. Stick to science, cite peer reviewed studies to back up your claims and stay off youtube because every time you open your mouth you sound like a fruit loop. If raw food people weren't so crazed and stuck to the science they would get further faster and sell more books. Eating raw food does make you feel good, there is no doubt about that at all but refrain from guff and puffery. Please leave god out of it. But when has an American ever left god out of any book? It seems prerequisite to sell books in the U.S. as does stuffing books with filler content. With his knowledge on raw food he could have and should have done better.
on 11 May 2009
this isnt all about food, its about a whole new way of life, thinking feeling as well as eating.

ideas of daily food intake and some recipes too
on 3 June 2015