5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing introduction book, 16 Nov 2004
This review is from: Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 (Wordware Game and Graphics Library) (Paperback)
This book takes the starter programmer to a decent level of knowledge in a few pages.
Nice chapter about 3d math that bring you the basis needed to fully understand what you (will) do and don't spoil the whole book.
Another perfect chapter is the one about pixel / vertex shaders, clear and consise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book to ge started for the best foundation of 3D, 20 Oct 2005
When I started reading this book, I immediately skipped part I, because it's a pure mathematical part. 30 Pages wasted for me, but probably because I have the basic mathematical knowledge.
Part II gets to the point. You set up a 3D environment with all the tricks basically available. After having done part II, you'll be able to set up a scene with lighting and texturing, and stencilling (shadows and mirrors)
Part III goes into the additions of Microsoft in DirectX. These were not that interesting for me, because I'm a low-level kinda guy but I got a lot of tips from that chapter on how to improve things.
Part IV then gives you all the information you need about shaders. It even shows you how the built in shaders of rendering works by showing you examples of where you program to do the same! That's really interesting if you wish to understand more about the pipeline!
Short: this book helped me a LOT to make me set up a great foundation of a 3D engine. Now I'm looking for a book that helps me with effects and stuff like that. This book helped me create a game with basic graphics (which means, the graphics are great (I mean, detail's ok, framerate's ok, base is ok), but the lack of effects make the graphics look old) ([...] if you wish to see what this book made me create)
Really! Buy this book and with the right spirit, you'll do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST!, 18 Sep 2006
this Series of books is the best DX9 book i read, it covers all the bits with good examples of a large proportion of the graphics needed to make wonderfull games.

You should get the Advanced book of this as well, its just as good as this one.

Used & New from: 0.01