5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book
Published on 28 Feb 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Empty Cradle Broken Heart
This book is American and written in a very American way with pointers at the end of each chapter. It was all a bit patronizing for me.
Published on 20 Mar 2010 by Ms. J. A. Pusey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 28 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Empty Cradle, Broken Heart : Surviving the Death of Your Baby (Paperback)
I got this book when my daughter was stillborn at 37 weeks. This book helped me make sense of the many emotions I went through. I found the quotes from bereaved parents very moving and they often brought out my tears and in that way helping me to get over the numbness I felt and start grieving. This book doesn't draw from religion which I also found helpful as I am not religious and even less so after my daughter's death.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful book I've read, 10 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This book is the best I've read on what grief is like for a mother who has lost a baby. I lost my first child, a son on 19 May 2001 who was full term, and I have read a lot of books on this subject since then. But this book more than any other spoke to me about what grief is like. I kept hearing myself say "Yes, that's what I feel too". The women's stories were so honest and included all perspectives. I particularly liked the section on resolution of grief because it was the first time I've ever understood what that meant and how I would know what it would feel like. I savour this book and re-read it whenever I need reassurance that I'm still normal and that others have been this way before me. It's perfect - read it and you won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Helpful Resource, 24 April 1999
By A Customer
Deborah Davis has combined startling facts & bereaved parents feelings exceptionally well. As the Mother of a stillborn son 9/11/97, I find this book to be the best I've found to date (and I've read at least 20!) Ironically, the author indicates in her book that she is not a bereaved parent ... usually books written by non-bereaved parents are "just facts" and tend to be rather cold. Deborah, however, excells in describing the intense emotions we as bereaved parents feel after the loss of a child and has included excerpts from bereaved parents which offer comfort and hope, helping the "we're not so all alone" feeling of our grief. Thank you, Deborah.

4.0 out of 5 stars a helpful book to dip in and out of, 30 Oct 2006
Ms. Emma C. Soares "emma91101" (West Country, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after our fourth child lived only for eleven hours after birth at term three months ago. I found it helpful to know that people do grieve in roughly the same way and that my responses were normal. Also, that the unhelpful way in which other people sometimes respond to me is also common. The book is well laid out and there is not too much emphasis on the formalities which have to take place after a baby dies. This is good because, by the time you get to this book, you are likely to have done all of those. I'm glad I wasn't put off by the rather crass title. Don't read it all at once if you are in this situation, small chunks at a time are best.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very reassuring and comforting book, 26 May 2003
By A Customer
I found this book very helpful at a time when I really did not know what to do or how to cope. It offers practical suggestions as to how to deal with feelings, it provides some direction and most importantly it includes the experiences of others offering valuable identification. Of all the books I have read since my little boy was stillborn I have found this one to be the most helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was very comforting and supportive., 23 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I would encourage anyone who has suffered an early loss of child to read this book. My son was born still on September 22, 1998. A relative gave me this book during that horrible first week after his death. I have read it several times over past two months. It has been very helpful to read the experiences of other woman who have experienced this tragic loss. Their stories gave me some piece of mind at a time when I needed it most and for that, I am very grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful resource for loss of a baby, 5 Nov 1998
By A Customer
We recently lost our infant daughter, and of all the books we checked out of the library, this was the most helpful in learning about and how to deal with our grief. It explored all relevent issues, including how it affected us as a couple and deciding whether or not to try again.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 18 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This book was a great comfort to me when my son was born (stillborn). At the start I read it cover to cover devouring every word written and 6 months on I still read sections of it when I need to. It is very well written covering a large range of grieving emotions that you need to go through to be able to begin to cope with this tragedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really helped me in the dark times, 30 April 2008
This book was recommended to me by a friend on SANDS and I was very greatful for it. My son was born asleep at term as well and this book was excellent to read when I was really struggling. It was also useful to understand how my husband and others around me were dealing with things differently to me and how grief affects you. It was useful when we considered trying again for another baby and throughout the next pregnancy. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. I'm just sorry anyone else has to go through this

5.0 out of 5 stars It help me through the early weeks, 27 April 2009
Mrs. J. L. Somers "bumwipes" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought lots of books when my baby was stillborn at 38wks. I was looking for answers to impossible questions, which of course I didn't find. What I did find was comfort and reassurance that what I was feeling was normal and that I wasn't going mad.
I can recommend this book enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Empty Cradle, Broken Heart : Surviving the Death of Your Baby
Empty Cradle, Broken Heart : Surviving the Death of Your Baby by Deborah L. Davis (Paperback - 1 Jan 1996)