Published on 16 Mar 2011 by Matthew

3.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not a Humble Man
Published on 3 Sep 2009 by Ms. L. C. Paine

5.0 out of 5 stars As great a cultural contribution as his Band Aid/Live Aid achievement (OK, almost as good!), 16 Mar 2011
This review is from: Is That it? (Paperback)
Possibly the best autobiography ever written. I read this book when I was about fourteen and it felt like something I didn't want my Mum to discover in my room, so explicit was Bob's honesty and language. Not just foul language and sexual language, but a more honest and direct use of the English language than I'd previously encountered in any kind of publication anywhere at all.
Any fears or hopes that the book will be a step-by-step re-enactment of the Band Aid/Live Aid process are not necessarily founded, because the first two thirds of the book are like two separate books beforehand. Both of which are brilliant.
The first third is a a description of Bob's Irish childhood, adolescence and young manhood, which reads better than Frank McCourt's 'Angela's Ashes' or Roddy Doyle's 'Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha' (both of which I enjoyed in their own right).
The second third is a description of Bob's rise from wannabe pop/rock star, to bona fide writer/singer of international Number One songs and albums with The Boomtown Rats, which reads better than 'The Dirt' by Motley Cru, or Slash's Guns & Roses history (again, both of which I enjoyed in their own right), and sits alongside Chuck Berry's autobiography as the best of it's kind.
The third and final third, of course, depicts in detail the moment where Bob feels moved to take major-league humanitarian action on a larger scale than has ever been even contemplated, either before or since. He makes the impossible possible by first conceiving an unlikely yet inspired idea, then having the sheer strength of mind, body and soul to ensure it happens. It's an intriguing page-turner involving behind-the-scenes showbiz excitement, high-end politics and power in all it's forms.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Everyone over 13 should read it", 20 Jun 2001
A. Degiorgio "giorgio652" (Huddersfield) - See all my reviews
THat was the comment from a newspaper journalist. I agree completey, this book wuld be an excellent read even if only about his childhood and rise to fame in the Boomtown Rats. On top of this, the book also closely documents how Bob came up with the idea for Band Aid, and how it came to reality, and how it led to Live Aid, the biggest concert ever in the world with 2 BILLION people watching it. Read it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Biography I have ever read, 3 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Is That it? (Paperback)
It is well written, with Irish charm and gives compeling accounts of Live Aid, Band Aid and his younger years. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars come on, 23 Feb 2006
This review is from: Is That It? (Paperback)
I do not own this book at present but have read it before. It is a marvellous, and truly rare insight into one of our hero's, a true living legend. Like his gigs of which I have seen two he is candid and open but does not like a fuss made about him. The man posseses more humility than is nessecary in any human being. A great read, for God's sake buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I cried, I laughed, I was inspired!, 22 Mar 2007
This review is from: Is That It? (Paperback)
I am not a fan of this man's music but I am so glad I read this book!! It is a MUST read, it will open your mind and your heart. A TRULY inspiring read, I could NOT put this book down, I have never read a book that brought me to tears but this one did. I defy anyone not to be moved.

The misconceptions about his motives etc from the people who haven't read it have astounded me. He nearly went bankrupt while giving his time to the project, along with so many others who gave their time; blood, sweat and tears to get aid where it's needed.

This book is not only about Band/Live Aid, I started reading it because I was interested in him and the details of his life. He's seen some horrific things in his time and done some interesting things but I defy anyone not to be moved by the chapters about what inspired him to begin his Band Aid project and the subsequent events.

Fascinating insight into the life and career of a true 20th century icon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, poetic and beautiful, 8 Nov 2006
This review is from: Is That It? (Paperback)
It's a mistake to see this book as just another celebrity read. Geldof writes beautifully with an elegance that is rare in most writers, let alone celebs. But it's worth noting that Geldof's songs are themselves incredibly poetic and always underrated. Is That It? is a masterpiece of autobiographical writing and wouldn't look out of place on a university course. Born into another, less altruistic, less intruded upon personality, Geldof would be a Van Morrison, a Keats, a Dylan Thomas. This genuine and amazing book shows all this and much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN ORDINARY,BUT BRILLIANT MAN, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: Is That It? (Hardcover)
I don't know why it took me so many years to get around to reading this,but i'm glad I finally got around to it.It covers his early days of growing up,the boomtown rats and band aid/live aid. Having loved all the music he's done over the years,i wanted to know about this man and what makes him tick. To think this book is near on 30 years old now,yet doesn't feel old,just put your mind into the moments. So it is great to find out what was happening in his head during the major moments of his life,some of the later stuff lost my interest slightly,but that's me,i can't deny it's brilliantly written,with moments to laugh at and think about. A man deserving of respect,he didn't just think about doing things,he did them and did himself proud.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary life, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: Is That it? (Paperback)
I've been meaning to read this book since being moved by the massive Band/Live Aid events of the 80s and am glad I got round to it.

The book follows Bob's life from the unfortunate beginnings in Ireland, through teenage, the Boomtown Rats years and then the charity work. It is a compelling read for so many reasons. Of course there's the big events, which left me rediscovering the reality that he was just an ordinary bloke who was moved, motivated and organised. It was also just one of the things he did with his life, the school, teenage and Rats years were also interesting.

I suspect it was co-written, although Bob is himself a man with a great turn of phrase and a wonderful vocabulary, so the various and diverse events are described well and the story moves in an attention retaining manner.

It struck me that 'St Bob' was no angel and at times he shows a negative side to his character. All fascinating.

In summary, read it to find out about an interesting life. Read to find out about some pieces of modern history. Read to be entertained. I'm very glad I got round to reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 18 Nov 2014
This review is from: Is That It? (Hardcover)
I read this book 13 years ago and thought it was the best book I had ever read. I bought it a few weeks ago for 1p (excluding p&p) here on Amazon and have just started reading it again, unsure if it would still be as enjoyable, but I'm loving it just as much second time around.

3.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not a Humble Man, 3 Sep 2009
Ms. L. C. Paine "loopy101" (Newquay, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Is That It? (Paperback)
I read this after a Paula Yates Biography and Jools Holland's Autobiography as they all seem to link together nicely. Whereas Jool's comes across as a fun, humble person, Mr. Geldof comes across as a bit of a bighead. Obviously, I don't know him, but this book has provided a bit of insight into the man. I wish him well, as he has his work cut out with those wild daughters of his, but I can't say that I have warmed to him from this book.

Is That It?
Is That It? by Bob Geldof (Hardcover - Mar 1987)
Used & New from: £0.01