5.0 out of 5 stars never buy a takeaway again!!!
Published on 5 April 2011 by elsie

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed
Published 20 months ago by SL

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars never buy a takeaway again!!!, 5 April 2011
I love cooking and experimenting with new recipes, but always thought chinese would not taste like i expected (take aways) well i was gob smacked by the delicious results. It was a bit complex first off but once youv'e cooked one or two of the recipes you can see a pattern of more or less the same basic ingredients. They are so tasty,and healthy that you would never buy from a take away again. recipes are easy to follow, and most ingredients you can purchase from your local supermarket. have tried quite a few of the recipes now and all are delicious. An excellent buy !!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 22 Aug. 2013
Bought this upon returning form a long trip to China, expecting it to cover all the basic traditional recipes. Though nicely presented, I find there are many gaps, with many of the ubiquitous dishes found across China missing. The 'complete' in the title made me expect a more comprehensive and thorough collection, with fewer simplifications. Though such simplified recipes are great if one does not have access to the more unusual ingredients, it reduces the authenticity I was hoping for. Ken Hom's book written together with Ching He Huang is a much better purchase.
Chinese cuisine not known for desserts/cakes in the West, which is a shame as I found the sweets amazing across the country (e.g. moon cakes). I do wish books on Chinese cooking highlighted this untapped part of the cuisine more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow. Will just take some practice., 5 Mar. 2011
S. Hazell - See all my reviews
I bought this after seeing Ken Hom on tv. I managed to get all the ingredients for the recipes I wanted to try first although had to go to China town in London for some of them. Of the three dishes I cooked, they were all delicious and so healthy too. My mum is from Hong Kong so she was my guinea pig and she loved it! No more takeaways for us!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, pretty much fail-safe great results every time. 10/10., 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Complete Chinese Cookbook (Hardcover)
I wish I'd bought this years ago. Received the book just over a week ago and have already cooked 4 different meals from this book - I can honestly say I've surprised myself with how good the food I've cooked tastes! I'd seen that Gok's book was currently the best seller in Chinese cookbooks and really considered getting that instead (I've resorted to recording his show to get his versions of Ken's recipes instead). Decided to go for Ken in the end as you get over 200 recipes in his book compared to 70 odd from Gok and just wanted the variety to start of with really. A week in and I'm so happy I went with this choice. The book has already opened my eyes as to just how easy, healthy and tasty traditional Chinese food is. My boyfriend actually commented that he prefers this food to high street Chinese takeaways. Having said that there are some of the takeaway favourites included in this book such as chow mein, Singapore noodles, sichuan duck and the best recipe for egg fried rice I've ever experienced.

I know some other reviewers have commented that Ken occasionally throws instructions into his recipes that are not then fully broken down. This has only occurred once to me and a simple search on google told me how to prepare the food - not rocket science really. Also there's a comprehensive section at the beginning of the book that explains a lot more about the history of Chinese food, ingredients and cooking methods if people bother to read that - definitely recommend it.

The only change I would wish is that every recipe came with a picture (over half do but by no means all). This is more just because I like perusing through the book when planning for meals and would appreciate more pictures but that's hardly a quibble when the food tastes so good regardless of pictures. Would definitely recommend this book for anyone that wants to begin a venture into Chinese cooking at home :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning to cook chinese but not the easiest book to use, 31 May 2011
David Lucas (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a general book from which to learn how to cook everyday Chinese food (had already worked out from various recipes how to do a mean crispy duck) so wanted a good general book. Having looked at various of the popular authors this one seemed to fit the bill.

It does provide a good array of recipes and a very useful review of ingredients and techniques at the beginning. I have enjoyed cooking from it and it seems to taste like chinese food, even to my friends who know China quite well.

My main concerns with it are that the recipes themselves are not well structured - just a stream of instructions - when I have been able to break them down into rather simpler steps, and identify where I can prepare in advance and then quickly cook at the end - combining say blanced or marinated meat, prepared vegetsables and a sauce mixed from ingredients rather than just doing a list of 20 ingredients at once. So many of the recipes have duplicate paragraphs on having a hot wok etc, that it gets a bit repetitive.

Still, it has done what I wanted and the recipes mostly seem to work and taste good ( I am having no success in coating sweet and sour meat in cornflour batter before cooking but am happy without the batter anyway). But it rankles that I am more or less re-writing the recipes to make them more cookable. (If you don't know what a good 'cookable' book looks like, read Raymond Blanc's "Cooking for Friends" that breaks even his complex dishes down into a clear and well organised process of cooking).

So a four - I like the book, but it could be a much better "how to cook Chinese food" book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great grub but a wee niggle about pictures, 24 Aug. 2011
I like the recipes in this book, and finding a copy of Ken's book from 1982 or so actually inspired me to try cooking Chinese food. Funnily enough, when I compared the suggested menus in each, I noticed they were more or less identical.
Further investigation revealed a lot of similar content - no big drama, but how about photos of every dish so I think I'm getting something new? There are a lot of pictures but too many of them are photos of ingredients, knives, Ken and the like. I know what kitchen equipment looks like, show me the food!

Overall, a good book for fledgling Chinophile chefs and experienced ones too - lots of advice on tools, prep and ingredients, and some great grub as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food, 10 May 2013
Got this for my Girlfriend who promised to serve me gourmet Chinese dishes, she didn't disappoint. still hasn't.
i think my local Chinese restaurant should buy his book!
its great with nice pictures and easy to follow recipes and good pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete Chinese Cookbook, 21 Oct. 2011
Mrs Angela Guy (Headley Down, GB) - See all my reviews
I first tried a Ken Hom recipe from a magazine and was so impressed I bought the book. The recipes are old favourites, like you would buy from the take-away, and also lots of new ideas. Looking forward to trying them all out

5.0 out of 5 stars The only chinese cookbook you will need, 27 Jan. 2014
CLear and straightforward recipes and instructions for a huge range of Chinese dishes. Every page is inviting. Had to get my own copy as the library wanted theirs back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Ken Hom, 4 Jun. 2013
Miss L. G. CAMPBELL (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
Could this be the only Chinese cookery book you need to own? Quite possibly! A pretty comprehensive book, with easy to follow recipes and really nicely presented.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Complete Chinese Cookbook
Complete Chinese Cookbook by Ken Hom (Hardcover - 11 Aug. 2011)