5.0 out of 5 stars A super little book for boys and their pottys
Published on 25 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure but my son likes it!
This book isn't quite what i thought it would be, i dont like the picture of the jug instead of a normal looking potty, but saying that my 2 year old son likes looking at it and for some reason he likes the page where he can see Joshuas bottom!!
I have given up on potty training for a while as my son isn't ready yet, but he still likes to look through this book and...
Published on 14 April 2009 by Mary Ellen Tuplin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A super little book for boys and their pottys, 25 July 1999
By A Customer
I love everything about this tiny book featuring Joshua and his new potty. To begin with, the illustrations are bright and eye catching. But the very best part of the book is the cler and simple language that the author uses to tell the story. As a first-time mom, I had no idea how to speak to my son about using his little potty chair or what to say about the fluids, etc., coming out of his body. I also found myself very frustrated at the end of a long day, cleaning up an unexpected mess or changing yet another pair of training pants. However, by using the language in the book, and repeating Joshua's mother's kind words about "accidents", I was able to keep my cool and not make potty training any harder for my son. It's nice to see a potty book that shows a child having accidents occasionally but still succeeding. It's also nice to have words to explain to a small child what the new potty is and not to be scared of it. I'm actually logged on today to buy another copy for a friend! Love this book!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book, 20 July 2005
A great book, that has proven very useful at a hard time in a childs development. My son loves the book and has memorised large chunks of the rhymes included.
My only gripe is the american language (diaper etc), but this can easily be changed when reading to your child and the book more than makes up for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Potty Training Book, 31 Oct. 2003
This is by far the best potty training book for boys (there is a girl version too). My son loved it especially because you get to see the poo in the potty rather than imagine it. Only drawback it that it is written in a very American way and you have to change some of the words ie diaper for nappy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book worked for us !, 8 Dec. 2005
By A Customer
I cannot praise this book enough. Since reading the other reviews and purchasing it myself, my son has happily started using the potty for No2's where previously he wouldn't.
Its very true to life and as well as illlustrations showing poo in the potty it also covers a toileting accident too. Its very easy for my 2yr 8 months old to understand and he loves the book, so much so, I read it about 10 times a day.
As others have said it is written in American Language ie. diaper for nappy etc but you can change the words when you read it to ones you and your child are familiar with.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it!, 28 July 1999
By A Customer
I bought this book when my son was born because I had the girl book for my daughter. My son is 25 months old and potty trained. I sat on the bathroom floor for hours reading this book over and over! But it kept him interested in staying on the potty!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Potty Training Book I have found, 3 April 2008
R. Patterson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty - Boy (Hardcover)
Apart from the Americanisms (diaper) and the fact the illustration does show an old fashioned 'po' as opposed to a potty - this book is fabulous. One read of it and my very resistant son was sitting on the potty with his clothes on which no amount of bribery had encouraged him to do before, a day later and another read of the book and he was sitting on the potty with no nappy on and understanding what he was supposed to do - still waiting for him to do it now but an excellent start after only 48 hours of receiving the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 April 2006
My daughter Ida-Marie is born on the 23th of August 2004 and today the 2nd of April 2006 she sat on the potty and made a wee-wee for the first time. We have read the "Once upon a potty" for 2 weeks. She has been fascinated by the book from the first time we read it together. I am amazed. She is only 1 1/2 years old and completely focused on the potty and the little book about Prudence.
Thanx.

4.0 out of 5 stars fab book my son loved it, 6 Jan. 2006
This is a great book. It has great pictures and shows u a little boy on the potty. He most liked the poo in the potty. The only thing is it uses diper instead of nappie. i just changed this around for my son

5.0 out of 5 stars American text annoying, but an excellent potty-training aid, 8 Jun. 2006
Beansmummy (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a great book, and highly recommended to all new Potty Trainees. My little son really relates to Joshua, and his mummy.
Its a simple book, with lovely clear pictures, and a clear message. My son loves it, and frequently asks for it at bedtime, or when sitting on the potty.

I'd recommend it over almost any other potty book out there (and I've read every one I could find!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for my son and my niece, 5 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Once Upon a Potty - Boy (Hardcover)
This book and its sister volume, I consider do the job perfectly.

Both my son and my neice (one in UK and other in Aus)had reached a stalled staged in their potty use development. Both kids dry at night from 2 years old
but both adamantly opposed to doing "big job"s outside of their nappies. I found this book in a desperate bid to find a solution (I had maintained a level
head throughout to avoid further hangups relating to this natural process, but could see no end in sight without a child's explanation of this bodily process.
Within one reading my son had processed the information (it was like seeing the proverbial light bulb go on) and never looked back at his disappearing
nappy.

I immediately sent the sister copy to my brother addressing it specifically to my neice and needless to say the book again did the trick.
I really liked the matter of fact approach to the subject combined with simple but informative images; and the approach taken by Joshua's mother provides a
calm and safe atmosphere to explore the topic. It is absurd that there is griping about the way the potty looks (a bona fide chamber pot) and the use
of US vernacular in the text. Kids are not dumb; they can still process information even though the pictures don't exactly reflect their known world and,
as has already been noted, it is easy enough to subsitute your preferred words for body bits etc. The important aspect for my son was the drawings.
He feared the feeling of the bowel motion and what it produced, by reading this book his sense of control was reinstated.

At the time of purchase it was the only one of its kind, that I could unearth, which took a mature clinical look at a pivotal point in toddler development
and aimed it at that age group. I am glad now that other books for kids have since been published that treat the topic sensibly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Once Upon a Potty - Boy
Once Upon a Potty - Boy by Alona Frankel (Hardcover - 3 Sept. 2007)