5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed, easy to read
I bought this book as a gift - it is beautifully illustrated, well set out and detailed. I would recommend this book to any keen vegetable gardener.
Published on 7 July 2009 by Deb

3.0 out of 5 stars good but has some issues
From what I can tell this is actually published in/for the USA and Canada. Overall this is not too much of a problem but it does make some of the information hard to 'get at' and doesn't read as easily as a UK book would. I couldn't see anywhere on the product page that says this is the case.

For example courgette is listed as zucchini. There is growing advice...
Published on 7 Jun 2011 by L. Officer

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed, easy to read, 7 July 2009
This review is from: Vegetables, Herbs and Fruit: An Illustrated Encyclopedia (Hardcover)

3.0 out of 5 stars good but has some issues, 7 Jun 2011
L. Officer - See all my reviews

For example courgette is listed as zucchini. There is growing advice given in relation to the US zone system which was confusing to start with as I did not know what this meant or how it would translate to UK climates.

The information is good and quite comprehensive. I was disappointed at how dated the design feels. Although the cover looks modern and the amazon page now says published 2009, my copy is published 2006 but actually the contents are mostly taken from books published much earlier (1994/95/97 for the three sections). The photos have the feel of much older images and although this is not in itself a problem it was not the feel expected from the cover design.

I have the Jekka McVicar book also and the herb section in this is a direct version (I think a little smaller however than her stand alone book) The copy I have has had a update on the design and is much nicer to use/read so I do not look at all at the herb section in this encyclopaedia.

I feel disappointed that it was not listed as a collection of older books that has been repackaged. In retrospect I would have preferred to buy more up to date versions from the individual authors (as with the McVicar herb book).

Vegetables, Herbs and Fruit: An Illustrated Encyclopedia
Vegetables, Herbs and Fruit: An Illustrated Encyclopedia by Matthew Biggs (Hardcover - Jan 2009)
Used & New from: 22.29