4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, lacking in photos
Good book, worth buying, but dont expect many photos. It is mostly line-drawings an dth info is for the US market
Published on 19 Nov 2005 by G. Stevenson

As I already own a copy of Stile's excellent 'Rustic Retreats' 'Rustic Retreats: A Build-it-yourself Guide' I was keen to get a copy of 'Cabins'. However, I was very disappointed with the amount of material that was recycled from 'Rustic Retreats'.

Published on 1 April 2009 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, lacking in photos, 19 Nov 2005
G. Stevenson (West Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cabins: A Guide to Building Your Own Nature Retreat (Paperback)
BUt dont let that put you off, this is the best book if you are thining of building your own cabin and are still open to how to build it, and what shape etc as there are lots of choices. I thought I knew what I wanted until I read this and it opened my eyes to new ideas etc.
Lots of good technical info on things likehow topole build, stick build, log build etc. I designed an dbuilt my own cabin after reading this and am now considering a second!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful guide, 23 May 2006
This book not only gives lots of inspiration with pictures of different cabins, but describes loads of different building techniques. It is written very much as a manual of how to build one, with simple step by step instructions. Very clear, easy to follow diagrams. After purchasing this book I bought a couple of other book by David Stiles which speaks for itself. Looking forward to building an authentic log cabin in the back garden using the techniques described in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - convert dreams to reality, 26 Dec 2001
This brilliant book is full of sensible and practical advice on designing, building and furnishing your dream countryside cabin, right down to the sanitary arrangements. Lots of beautiful photos and detailed drawings make this an wonderful book, and excellent value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, but too much recycled content from other Stiles' books, 1 April 2009

Yes, there was some unique content and if you don't already own any of Stile's other books, then you'll be very pleased with this one, but personally I was very disappointed and ended up sending it back to Amazon.

Such a shame as I had high expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars hollys retreat ..., 28 April 2014
It is a good read and exciting with all its illustrations and photos - definitely a good guide for me and what I would like to build on my land in Devon UK ... Still enjoying and using it ! Fantastic stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Planning to build, 24 Mar 2014
What a great step by step book on how to build your dream hideaway. Planning the exact spot to build in my secret woodland!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Pictures, 31 Dec 2012
This might be a good coffee table book but it felt a bit short of usable information. All big picture and lacking in detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Dec 2011
Mr. Ms. Keighley "Mart" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Not just a coffee table book of nice pictures. Full of good advice and simple drawings. If you really want to build a comfortable, warm beautiful place to relax or work then this is the book for you. It really inspired me and answered many of my questions

4.0 out of 5 stars Cabins, 27 Sep 2010
A good all round guide to log cabins, but lacks a little on some of the techniques for full scribe log cabins.

Cabins: A Guide to Building Your Own Nature Retreat
Cabins: A Guide to Building Your Own Nature Retreat by Jean Stiles (Paperback - 28 Jun 2001)
12.25