Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 April 2001
This book has long been one of the standard reference books for anyone interested in building their own canoes.
Ted Moores and Merilyn Mohr at Bear Mountain Canoes have long been involved in the development and building of both classic and modern open canoes. They have developed the strip building techniques over many years of running canoes building workshops, and simplified them to a point where almost any reasonably competent woodworker can produce a canoe to be proud of.
The book is well thought out and takes the reader through a short history of open canoes, in the country where they began, through a discussion on the reletive merits of different designs, to building.
The main concept of the book is to help the reader to build their own canoe, and this it does admirably. A well illustrated and clearly set out book, which if it doesn't start you building will certainly start you thinking about doing it.
on 1 October 2012
I have not built my canoe yet so I can't comment from experience, however I would recommend Ted Moores Canoecraft without hesitation. The instructions are straight forward and clear. Information and advice on tools and materials is excellent. I would not hesitate to build a canoe after reading only this book.

There are a few camps with respect to strip building. I have read Building a Strip Canoe 2nd edition by Gil Gilpatrick, which has full sized plans for 8 canoes - this is also and excellent book which I would highly recommend. The Strip-Built Sea Kayak by Nick Schade although aimed at kayak constructing is very relevant to strip built canoes. Nick also wrote Building Strip-Planked Boats which has plans for a dinghy, canoe and a kayak although I haven't read this.

I would certainly be happy to build a stripper following any of the above authors. However, I would advise you to buy both books by Gil and Ted, as they have different views on canoe building. Personally, I'm going to build the 20ft White Guide from Gils book using Teds staple-less method.

One other thought. If you haven't considered a sailing canoe, think again. Although I don't want a pure sailing canoe, I do intend to put a rig on the White Guide at some point in the future just for the fun of it. Have a look at [...]
on 20 September 2013
I was very pleased with the book it is very consice well written and informative. I was wondering whether to do a ply stitch or wood strip canoe. after reading this book i'ts got to be the strip. Still working out which one best for me.

Thanks Guys
on 19 July 2013
A very good guide that the home builder will find useful. However don't rely on this alone; if you are serious about building your own canoe I recommend you also buy to accompany this.

Gil Gilpatrick's: Building a Strip Canoe; Second Edition, Revised & Expanded.

and

Grahan Warren and David Gidmark: Canoe Paddles: A Complete Guide to Making Your Own.

These three books really are indespensible companions.
on 10 May 2013
This is a lovely book with an incredible amount of useful information, but as is often the case with canoe books, there are no easy to read plans contained. There are plans but essentially they are contained in a code which is not easy to decode for an amateur reader. That being said it has given me enough information and confidence to design and build a canoe of my own.
on 24 April 2014
As long as they have patience,should enable anyone with no prior knowledge and limited skills to produce a canoe to be proud of.
on 19 April 2015