4.0 out of 5 stars different but still worth reading

3.0 out of 5 stars A note from the publisher
Published on 28 Jun. 2007 by S. Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars A note from the publisher, 28 Jun. 2007
S. Walker - See all my reviews
As the publisher of Tess's more recent thrillers, I wanted to advise fans that this was originally published by Mira / Mills & Boon in the 1980s as a romantic suspense novel. Despite Mira's claims that the books they publish were Sunday Times bestsellers, and despite their use of Harlan Coben's quote (both of which Tess and we have asked them not to use), they continue to reissue her novels as thrillers. They are not thrillers, and were never intended to be.

The thrillers featuring Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles are The Surgeon, first published by Transworld in 2002, The Apprentice, The Sinner, Body Double, Vanish and The Mephisto Club.

If you have any further comments / queries, you can talk to Tess direct via her website, [...] or her blog. Or you can see her in person when she comes to the UK in Jan 08 with her new novel, The Bone Garden.

Selina Walker, Transworld.

4.0 out of 5 stars different but still worth reading, 23 Jun. 2006
Having read the apprentice, body double, the surgeon and the other books in this series I was a little apprehensive about reading a "one-off". I need not have worried. If you are looking for a book written in a similar vein to the books I have just mentioned - then this is probably not the book for you. Call after Midnight is lightweight in comparison and is more in the vein of a Dorothy Gilman - Mrs Pollifax book. Call after midnight is about a woman who receives a phonecall which informs her her husband is dead - or is he? It appears Simon Fontaine was not the man he claimed to be - what follows is a worldwide chase to discover the truth. I could really envisage this as a movie that would have starred Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. Anyway I digress... overall if you are looking for a good beach read and enjoy an old fashioned thriller without blood and gore this is probably for you!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not like later Gerritsen books, 2 May 2010
I found this a very poorly written book, so bad I didn't even finish it and it's very unusual for me not to plod on to the end of a book. Gerritsen's publisher makes it clear that this early effort was written for Mills & Boon and is different from her later output. Fans would do well to steer clear.

4.0 out of 5 stars a page-turner, 30 Jun. 2012
Cloggie Downunder (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Call After Midnight is the third stand-alone novel by popular author, Tess Gerritsen. The action starts with Simon Dance, alias Geoffrey Fontaine, faking his own death in a hotel-room fire in Berlin. When his wife of two months, Sarah, is notified of the death in a late-night call by State Department employee Nick O'Hara, she is convinced it is a mistake. By the time Nick O'Hara has shared with her the facts he has learned, Sarah realises she really did not know her husband at all. A haunting phone call from Geoffrey sends her to London, where the mystery deepens. This is another Gerritsen novel with plenty of plot twists to keep the reader guessing. The action moves from Washington DC to London, Berlin and Amsterdam. Police, CIA, FBI and the State Department are all involved. There are car chases, fights on trains, torture by knife and scrambles across rooftops. The plain but plucky heroine finds herself accused of murder, sleeping in a windmill and on display in an Amsterdam brothel. Romance, action, violence and a few hot sex scenes are all part of the mix. Gerritsen does romantic intrigue well, and this early novel is just a taste of her later work. A page-turner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pandering to an American audience or ignorance?, 22 Aug. 2009
S. Haynes (Leeds) - See all my reviews
Certainly not as good as her 'proper' thrillers, but still quite enjoyable. The thing that bothered me most was the use of such dreadful stereotyping/clichés when describing the European towns and cities visited in the book. Fog, cobbled streets and ale drinking in London? Waking up in a windmill in Holland? Whilst this may simply be pandering to an ignorant American audience (and no, I don't think ALL Americans are ignorant about the 'real' Europe); to anyone with even the most basic knowledge of these countries, it just sounds like the author has never set foot in Europe and is basing her descriptions on very old books and films.

My advice: if you are personally familiar with, or well researched in, a town/city/country then represent it honestly, but if you aren't, don't write about it at all! (This would also apply, of course, to European authors setting books in America!!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Hysterical, 20 Nov. 2009
Ms. D. Harris "Dondons" (Essicks) - See all my reviews
I am continuing to read this book for my own warped amusement, it is quite possibly the worst book I have ever read. it seems (as another reviewer notes) to have been written by a teenager, and I am not sure when this story is set but as I work in London I'd love to know where men in bowler hats walk alongside those in turbans, I havent seen a bowler hat in 20 years of working in the city! to that point I havent ever walked into a pub whilst surrounded by fog.utter rubbish, sorry to Tess Gerristsen fans as this is the one and will be the only book I have read by the author.

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply awful..........., 14 Jun. 2008
Mr. Tony Griffiths "Griff" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
My third venture into Gerritsen's work.....and I should have learnt by now.
OK, I'm no writer, but I know bad writing when I see it. And this is simply awful.

The storyline is promising, but then it weaves into a love story which is plucked straight out of some dizzy romance magazine. Woman's husband dies in hotel fire. No post mortem to identify body because its so badly burnt. Dont worry about the bullet that's found, some maid must have dropped it. So just bury him. No grieving. Goody bloke (who naturally flosses and is suspended from his work) asks her questions after his death. Did you love him? (God, she is so lovely). He imagines stroking her glossy hair. Oh, for heaven's sake.

In fact, I laughed out loud at some of the cringeworthy dialogue. Is this for real? It felt like it had been written by some teenager for her summer project.

Well done. The worst novel I've read this year. Real Gerritsen fans should avoid at all costs. Laughably bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Call After Midnight, 29 Aug. 2009
Having read several of Tess Gerritsen's books I am bitterly disappointed by this one. Full of cliches like: .....fog stricken London! One scene between the main female character in a London pub with an ex-Mossad agent brought to mind the Marlene Dietrich performance in Witness for the Prosecution.

If you are deciding whether to read it - don't!

3.0 out of 5 stars Still a worthwhile read, 12 May 2014
F Keegan (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call After Midnight (Paperback)
Sarah , recently married after a whirlwind romance is woken up late at night with a call from the State Department advising her husband has died in a hotel fire. Unwilling to accept this she starts investigating into the loop holes that are convincing her that her husband is still alive. Nick O'Hara the agent from the Consulate gets tied into her investigations and together they travel through Europe to find the missing pieces. Unfortunately it is just not Sarah and Nick who are not convinced and getting mixed up in all of this is leaving them exposed to danger.
A quick read, certainly not one of this author's best but it still was an enjoyable action thriller.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy if you are first time Gerritsen reader!, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Call After Midnight (Paperback)
I shall explain my title. It's early Gerritsen, if you have never read a Tess Gerritsen novel, then please please please buy a later book of hers first, and only come back to this one to fullfill your curiosity of what her early work was like. Tess Gerritsen has become a fantastic writer, I love her work, but if this was the first Gerristen book I had read, I would not have bothered with the rest of her work, and I would have missed out on so much.

If you are a Gerritsen fan and you are going to buy this book, then good on you, but prepare to cringe, and if you are from the UK, prepare to cringe even more. You'll know what I mean when you get to it ;-)

Call After Midnight (MIRA)
Call After Midnight (MIRA) by Tess Gerritsen (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Jun. 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01