Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 14 August 2001
One of a series of books revolving around the great fire of Chicago. This book tells the story of Kathleen O'Leary, a ladies maid at a school for the wealthy debutantes of Chicago. Kathleen dreams 'above her station', of a life of balls, jewels and a rich, handsome husband. It doesn't take much to persuade her to participate in a dare to see if she can fool the rich Chicago society into thinking she is rich heiress. She succeeds in fooling everyone she meets including Dylan Kennedy, the catch of the season, a mysterious gentleman of unknown wealth and breeding, - unknown being the operative word - Dylan is playing a much more serious game, he is a handsome gambler looking for a rich wife. They meet, they battle against the fire, they fall in love, they marry and then the story really begins.
Definitely a 'keeper', in fact once read, you're compelled to buy the Hostage and the Firebrand to find out how the rest of the girls fared in the Great Fire.
on 6 February 2014
While having enjoyed this book I didn't finish it with the feeling of needing more. It was a good story but I didn't quite feel the same bonding almost. Still a good read and I always recommend Susan Wiggs.
on 24 October 2014
I always enjoy this author, she covers every detail, you get a feel for where they are and how they look. This story is very interesting, I enjoyed it.
on 30 January 2015
I chose. This book because after reading the first two and enjoyed. I knew I would find this just as hard to put down really good read