5.0 out of 5 stars If you had to blow the whistle on someone could you?
Published on 31 Aug. 2001 by liz Bentley

1.0 out of 5 stars maybe an interesting story - very badly written
Published on 21 May 2008 by APE

1.0 out of 5 stars maybe an interesting story - very badly written, 21 May 2008
APE "Emma's Mama" (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whistleblower (Paperback)
I read one other book by Gerritsen before, which I liked, so looking for a read I picked up this one - what a mistake. I totally agree with the other 1-star rating reviewers (and can't but wonder about the 2 5 star reviews it got). The underlying story may be a good idea (if improbable), but the writing is incredibly bad. If you expect a decent book like those of Kathy reichs or the early Patricia Cornwell (which is what I was hoping for), stay away from this one. The lines in this book are incredibly cheap, and the simplistic love story between two of the main characters take precedence over the actual thriller. After this, I will not buy another Tess Gerritsen book again.

1.0 out of 5 stars If I wanted a romance novel......, 26 May 2008
This review is from: Whistleblower (Paperback)
I usually love Tess Geritsen's books, which are filled with horror and suspense. The surgeon and the apprentice were mind blowingly great. This one was a great disappointment. If I had wanted a romance novel, albeit a Barbara Cartland esk one at that, I would have ordered one. Where was the suspense that usually characterise her books?

I would now think twice before buying another one of her books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blown out, 8 May 2008
This review is from: Whistleblower (Paperback)
An early attempt at fiction writing by Ms Gerritsen and it shows. This very short flacid book has been repackaged by the publishers to fool the public into believing it's a new work. The characters are lightweight, flawed and the plot improbable. The typeface has been enlarged to give the book some bulk. You can read it at arm's length - which is about the right distance to keep away from this offering.

3.0 out of 5 stars A note from Tess's publisher, 28 Jun. 2007
S. Walker - See all my reviews
As the publisher of Tess's more recent thrillers at Transworld, I wanted to advise fans that these are both romantic suspense novels reissued by Mira / Mills & Boon, and were first published in the 1990s. Despite the fact that Mira claims on the covers of their books that they were Sunday Times bestsellers, and uses Harlan Coben's endorsement, these books are not thrillers, and were never intended as such.

The Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles novels started with The Surgeon,which Transworld published in 2002, The Apprentice, The Sinner, Body Double, Vanish and The Mephisto Club.

If you have any comments / queries, you can talk to Tess directly via her website, [...] or her blog. Or you can see her in person when she tours the UK in Jan 08 with her new book, The Bone Garden.

Selina Walker, Transworld Publishers

1.0 out of 5 stars Total waste of money, 3 May 2008
S. Cox "szcox" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whistleblower (Paperback)
I usually enjoy Tess Gerritsen's books but his one was a total waste of time. The characters were rather dull and the plot was so predictable...I felt that I had read several books with very similar (and not very thrilling) plots. In the end I skimmed towards the anticipated ending in order to avoid time wasting. I hope that her next offering is an improvement .

1.0 out of 5 stars Infinite improbability, 30 May 2008
This review is from: Whistleblower (Paperback)
A very disappointing book if you have enjoyed titles like The Surgeon. Cardboard-cutout characters, lightweight scenarios and every cliched utterance a writer can produce.

A pity, because the theme sounded promising. Frankly, awful - I couldn't struggle through more than half of it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Felt like I'd read it before...., 21 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Whistleblower (Paperback)
You know how now and then you get that deja vous feeling because something is so familiar? Well, that's how this book was for me. As soon as I'd started reading the prologue I thought that I must've read it before but....checking my reading lists, (saddo I know but keep a computerized list), this wasn't the case and the title certainly didn't ring any bells. So then I thought that maybe I HAD read the prologue and possibly the first chapter if they'd been added on to the end of another of Tess Gerritsen's books, as other authors sometimes do, giving you a taster of their next book. But don't think this had been the case...this just got more and more familiar as I continued through the book. Very odd.

It's only saving grace for me is that just as I can never remember what is going to happen next with a film I'm watching for the second time while it's still familiar as it goes along - I now also know that this must happen with books too! Although I'm still pretty certain that I have NEVER read WHISTLEBLOWER before? It got me wondering if this was another of her books that has been re-printed under another name too?

As far as the story line goes, I could see how a lone female might be urged to spontaniously shove a strange wounded man in her car to transport him to a hospital quicker way out in the back of beyond but other things were just too far fetched for my liking.

I'm now wondering if perhaps I hadn't read this book before, even under another a title but that maybe it had been made into a film and that's why it was so familiar?

It was a quick read and didn't really stretch my curiosity as her other books usually do but would probably have been ok to read on a plane or something when you just want a really easy read.

Sadly not one of Tess Gerritsens finest novels I'm afraid but having seen that it was first printed back in the early nineties, I can only thank heaven that she's improved along the way. I usually love her books.

1.0 out of 5 stars A romance...certainly not a thriller, 22 Dec. 2013
freesia (Back of beyond) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whistleblower (MIRA) (Paperback)
If this had been the first tess gerritsen book i had read, i would read no more. I couldnt bear wasting any more time reading to the end and gave up a three quarters of the way in. The description on the back of the book is misleading and makes out, what becomes almost an aside, a terrifying secret to be the "beef" of the book. It is not. It is a shabby romance that is so boring. I cared not for any of the characters and couldnt really care less what happened in the end. I have read other books by this author which have been really good so i wont be put off but i could not recommend this book. Harlan coben is quoted on the front as saying "it's scary just how good tess gerritsen is..." I cannot believe his quote/comment relates to this particular book and if it does...well he must have been paid to say it! I keep the really good books i read so i can enjoy them again and others that are good go to the charity shop but ones like this one....recycling bin for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you had to blow the whistle on someone could you?, 31 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Whistle Blower (Audio Cassette)
Would you pick up a stranger?Cathy had no choice,Victor was a hunted man desperate for help.Having her best friend murdered put Cathy in danger,with only three Cathy Weaver's in the phone book ,was she listed and would they find her before she had a chance to help Victor blow the whistle on why their lives were in danger?Would and could she trust this man,this stranger with her life?rivetting from beginning to end,will Cathy make it?

4.0 out of 5 stars An early Gerritsen - romantic suspense novel, 24 Mar. 2012
Avid reader "Janet" (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is really a Mills and Boon of the 1990's, and seems to follow a predictable and recognisable M&B formula. If you are a Mills and Boon fan, I am sure you will like this book, as it is a well-written example of the genre. However, if you mistakenly expect it to be a post-2000 medical thriller you will be disappointed. It seems to me that the cover of the book maybe misleads the uninitiated as it doesn't suggest the strong romantic element. The romance is wrapped in a clever tale of the illegal development of bio-weapons, but the romantic plot is predictable and despite the misunderstandings and obstacles that seem to be in the way, you really always know (very M&B) how its going to end.

It is worth looking at the Tess Gerritsen website to determine which series of books you are looking for, and then you won't be disappointed.

To be fair, I have given this book a 4 star rating, as I reckon it is a good book of its type, but I will stick to the Rizzoli and Isles series and one-off thrillers.

Whistleblower
Whistleblower by Tess Gerritsen (Paperback - 1992)
Used & New from: £0.01