Don't read this book if you don't appreciate crazy mixed-up bittersweet humour that doesn't tell you any answers but just leaves you with a wonderful mix of emotions all over the place the moment you put it down. I picked it straight back up again and read it twice more. Basically this is Joey Comeau being as fantastic as usual.
Published on 9 May 2010 by Chiru

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but a bit short
Published on 13 Mar 2010 by D. van Gennip

5.0 out of 5 stars Comeau's first proper book is just as good as all his other ones!, 9 May 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Hail to the Job Seeker!, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Overqualified (Kindle Edition)
Overqualified is a surprisingly funny, witty and touching collection of job application cover letters written by Joey Comeau himself to various corporations and companies. The letters take unexpected turns when the authors starts sharing life experiences and all sorts of childhood and teenage memories.
The sheers originality of this book is a pure delight. Don't let the format put you off, for Joey Comeau makes the reading of cover letters a pure blast!

4.0 out of 5 stars Startlingly awesome, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Overqualified (Paperback)
It took my breath away. It startled me, hooked me, and made me almost cry, and I wanted to know much more. Fantastic concept, really heart breaking, and pulled me into the author's reality immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and actually moving, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Overqualified (Paperback)
I don't know how he does it, but I'm the kind of person who cracked jokes during the end of Titanic and Mr. Comeau can have me smiling and my eyes watering at the same time. Absolutely fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and Beautiful, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: Overqualified (Paperback)
Joey Comeau has a way with words. I've never read a book that's had me nearly crying and then laughing out loud in such rapid succession. There is a sort of honesty to his writing that really hits home for me. It is sad, heartwarming, funny, grim and angry. Simply beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, good execution, but potential remains for more, 6 Sep 2010
S. Thomson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overqualified (Paperback)
As the other reviewers have stated, this book is rather short. The cover letters, taken on their own, can be quite amusing (though none had me in hysterics) to saddening, and when taken as a whole the emotional range is further exaggerated. However, since the underlying story is only given to you in bits, subtly placed into each letter, I really think that this could have benefited from an increase in length. I felt like Comeau didn't have time to fit everything in, particularly towards the end of the book where the subtlety is lost; the letters seem to be there only to cover the other story and can't stand on their own, which is not in the spirit of the earlier portions of the book.

All in all, though, this is more of a minor complaint. This was an enjoyable, if brief, read. I knock off one star only because I am sure it had the potential to do more. (One more note, fans of a softer world will, I am absolutely sure, enjoy this).

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but a bit short, 13 Mar 2010
D. van Gennip - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overqualified (Paperback)
My overall impression is that the author manages to create a character through just cover letters, which is an interesting read by itself. But the book is a bit short. I didn't count how many cover letters there were, but the book can easily be finished in a couple of hours. These letters themselves hover between funny, ridiculous and sad and generally leave you with more questions than answers. I found it an interesting take well executed.

Overqualified
Overqualified by Joey Comeau (Paperback - 4 Jun 2009)
9.97