5.0 out of 5 stars A well-crafted pleasure to read.
Well crafted and intelligently written, this was a real pleasure to read. I have to warn you that once picked up - it's difficult to put down again and although it's not an epic length - it's perhaps better to read at the weekend (I had to get up for work).
Published 7 months ago by Christine Neale

2.0 out of 5 stars Would not recommend
Loved it up to the point where Richard dies, did NOT enjoy the fantasy rubbish, I want to read a book based on fact, not someone's imagination ! Gave up reading it.
Published 7 months ago by Pru

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-crafted pleasure to read., 13 Aug. 2014
Christine Neale "cjneale" (Stratford-upon-Avon, England) - See all my reviews
I read quite a lot of historical novels and, inevitably, the big disappointment with them is that you know the ending right from the start; and I tend to avoid fantasy novels because - well, I think that maybe the scientist bit of me just finds them annoying and contrived, but I was very impressed with the author's weaving together of old legends with scrupulously researched historical fact.
All-in-all - a 'must' for Ricardians.

4.0 out of 5 stars J.P. Reedman tackles Richard III. Includes special guest appearance of Stonehenge., 22 Aug. 2014
Reedman’s talent at overlaying rich description, fantasy elements and real folklore and facts casts fresh light on Richard III’s oft discussed demise. He is an archetype of sacrifice, and must atone for past failings- the princes’ unaccounted for loss-in a purgatorial Middle Kingdom, before his latter day rediscovery and restored reputation sets him at peace.
Particular highlights for me were the thrilling retelling of Bosworth- Reedman can clearly do straight history extremely well- and Richard’s encounter with the terrifying Black Annis. I also enjoyed his metaphorical ascent to redemption and the way Reedman handled the tricky heaven question. The modern day car park scenes were a bit too sentimental for me but I’m sure will appeal to Ricardians. Certainly there is more to the man than the likes of Shakespeare would have us believe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sacred King, 17 Aug. 2014
I am interested in the after life, but it would not have occurred to me to think of the Middle Kingdom in a novel about life after death, although I'm not sure Tolkien's version of the M K is in perpetual twilight.

I couldn't put the book down. Good fantasy novel. A female visitor meets Richard's ghost at the foot of his statue and the novel leaves him there. We have to assume he reunites with Anne eventually and all his family including the princes who would forgive him after releasing them from becoming Annis Black's next meal! Has a Hansel and Gretal ring to it.

The book would appeal to Recardians, spiritualists and fantasy fans alike. Anti Richard III buffs would enjoy reading about how he is forced to attone for his sins and having to face his demons much like Scrouge in Christmas Carol.

4.0 out of 5 stars Richard lll, 20 Sept. 2014
A strange ethereal book about Richard, one written since the discovery of his remains. It tries to say that a king who lays down his life for his country, bleeds his blood into it and restores it. Arthurian l believe, but an ancient belief all the same. Well we all know he was the last king to fight and die in battle for the country he believed in.

5.0 out of 5 stars What happened to Richard after Bosworth?, 19 Aug. 2014
Mrs. J. R. Larner "JetBlack" (Rayleigh, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a well written and different version of Richard III's life and death (and after life!) The author makes use of traditional folklore and also utilises the current facts unearthed with Richard's bones in 2012. It shows Richard in a mainly positive light and compares his death as the traditional sacrifice of the Year King for the good of the country. Fascinating, readable and different - I was only sorry it wasn't longer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mix of Richard and ancient Mythos, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Sacred King: Richard III: Sinner, Sufferer, Scapegoat, Sacrifice (Paperback)
this is an addictive book that once I picked it up, I could not put it down til the final page, and then I was craving more! J.P. has an excellent knowledge of Richard and his times, and has woven this tragic King's story with legends and myths from England's misty past, including stories of Arthur, Merlin and the Sacrificial King.
This is a must buy and read!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am not one normally for ‘fantasy’ but I did enjoy reading this and could actually believe in Richard’s journey ..., 7 Sept. 2014
Mrs. D. Penn (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
Read this while staying next to Middleham Castle - it made it all the more poignant. I am not one normally for ‘fantasy’ but I did enjoy reading this and could actually believe in Richard’s journey after Bosworth. Excellently written with no repetition which can happen sometimes in books, to pad out the content.
I could feel his pain and his frustration while in Purgatory - I await the sequel to see if he wishes he is still there, now he has been found and used as a money making machine for Leicester.
I believe he will think he has gone to Hell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable amalgamation of history and fantasy!, 21 Sept. 2014
I have a decades long interest in both King Richard III, and the Sacred King mythology, and I also enjoy the fantasy genre as well as straight history. This book, an amalgamation of history and fantasy by Janet Reedman, made a thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours of bedtime reading. She knows her historical facts, and I found that what happened to King Richard after his 'death' an interesting alternative perspective. My only regret was that it was a novella rather than a full length novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars The King must die.., 11 Aug. 2014
Cleverly mixing history and fantasy,this is a well-written tale of the last Plantagenet king,Richard lll. Reedman begins the story with the events leading up to the battle at Bosworth field; here the actual events begin to intertwine with fantasy.
Folklore and the Mythology of the Sacred King ,who must die for the good of the land,are layered through the historical happenings,and beyond,to the aftermath of the Battle.
The author knows her history and creates a flawless blending of the real and the mythical. Heartily recommend this one. I'll be getting the print version when it's available!

I received a copy of this book in return for a fair review.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good short story, 15 Nov. 2014
As a fervent Ricardian, I either love or hate books written about him, and I am pleased to say that I loved this book! It is very well written and well researched and I loved the fact that Richard found a certain peace after 529 years, well deserved. I would have liked the book to have been longer but that does not detract from the story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sacred King: Richard III: Sinner, Sufferer, Scapegoat, Sacrifice
Sacred King: Richard III: Sinner, Sufferer, Scapegoat, Sacrifice by J. P. Reedman (Paperback - 13 Aug. 2014)