on 22 July 2014
I've tried meditating before but not really got anywhere with it. I've read several books about Buddhism before but found them difficult and obtuse.
What Dominique has managed here is a beautiful, inspirational introduction to Buddhism and meditation which is simple, practical and accessible. She encourages us to try different approaches to meditation, to see what works best for us, encourages us that there's no wrong or right way to do it. She provides a wonderfully straightforward explanation of Buddhism, debunking much of what other authors make to complex and difficult.
on 4 July 2014
Buddhism For beginners is just what i needed! I have wanted to understand Buddhism for a long time, but a lot of books i read are either too boring to keep me reading, or a bit technical and involved. This book was a great blend of good information in an easy to read and understand format! I really appreciate that i now actually know what Buddhism is, because it is something i would like to take on board! Great Book for Beginners!
on 1 September 2014
An enjoyable and informative read. Left me wanting to read and learn more. Well worth a read, but be warned it may lead to you questioning your own way of living.
on 18 August 2015
Terrible, I can't get past the childishness and the assortment of errors contained within this book. Swearing? Statements such as 'Buddhism is about self importance' ?
As my dear Nana used to say "I wouldn't give it house room"
The best beginner book I have read is called 'Buddhism Plain and Simple' by Steve Hagen.
on 4 February 2015
Very basic. Good introduction but a bit repetitive and too much product placing/selling (ads) for my liking. Cheapens the book
on 2 June 2015
Although the book gives some good info I would have to say it is more like a glorified brochure than a book, also seems to be a lot of vanity in the author. Worth it to get a bit of understanding but I am betting there are better books out there.
on 10 November 2014
Buddhism for beginners is well written and easy to understand. I found it useful.
on 23 July 2015
This is a good introduction to Buddhism, but as someone who is not knew to meditation it didn't really give me as much as I was hoping for. The tone of the book is nice, very conversational and easy to read, albeit with a few missing words and spelling errors. All this being said, I'd recommend it for people who have zero knowledge of Buddhism AND zero knowledge of meditation.
on 14 September 2014
This book is mainly about Mindlefullness and Yoga.i wanted to leatn more about Buddhism itself,so a bit dissapointing really.
on 15 October 2014
It was a good start to Buddhism, however I feel it did wash over some topics too quickly, however I want to learn more..