on 8 November 2012
This is a book that is of its time with the way the characters behave and the situations they are in, but the principle heart of the story is timeless, which I suppose could be said of many love stories. It has the Ford Maddox Ford style that some may find difficult to keep up with, but it does make the read more entertaining and keeps the brain working. The build of the story is progressive, and does not start to really reveal all until the last third, so you have to keep faith with it and keep reading. I did enjoy it, and if you like early 20th Century writings then I would give it a try. Will now give Parades End a go, and see how it compares to the recent TV adaption.
on 5 September 2012
A brilliantly told story about the complexity of holding a life together.

It is a novel way of writing that takes a bit of getting used to. I enjoyed it and will read more of his books.
on 4 January 2013
This is book that requires more than one readings. As this was my first I am not sure I can do it justice. Suffice it to say that I found the time dislocations slightly confusing, I had to constantly remond myself who-was-who and what-X- knew or did not know at the time of a particular action. I had the feeling that I was reading a 'worthy' book rather than a book to lose oneself in, the characters being slightly alien and not conforming to realist fiction norms. I'm glad I've read it and might re-read it at some point in the future.
on 22 December 2015
Read, re-read, and re-read again. This apparently simple tale of infidelity and betrayal is superbly told, as the narrator meanders around his topic, retelling the events a number of times, each time focusing on a different character and supplying a few extra (not always consistent) details. His own reliability in question, this makes it all a superb read and a seminal early modernist novel, with the psychology and motivations of the characters driving the drama far more than the events of the tale.
on 11 July 2014
A sad and absorbing book. It records the events in the lives of two couples, during the very early 20th century, and the way in which they are almost all destroyed by the repressions which were required of high-minded people of that time. I enjoyed the way the plot unfolded, not necessarily in a linear progression, but with bits of information that didn't always make sense as I read it, but which fitted perfectly into the jig-saw later on. Ultimately tragic but totally convincing.
on 5 July 2014
one of my (and i am certain many others too) all-time favorite love stories of tragic mistiming and inexpert perceptions - infidelity, yes, and wartime anxieties permeate the story - the difficulties of being a woman in Edwardian times compounded by wartime sympathies (the men must not suffer) are sympathetically presented without a drop of self-pity. witty dialogue and real characters.
on 22 October 2015
I wasn't sure when I started, thinking the narrative had that early 20th century navel gazing quality that can feel a bit pretentious. But, persevere and you'll be drawn to the characters despite their unpleasantness and the way the story snakes back and forth will keep you reading as you hope to find out whether anyone will ever behave in an honest and straightforward way!
on 23 August 2014
A seemingly uncoordinated recount turnouts to be so powerful in conveying the story. Felt it was a full journey that I experienced with the author. Acute descriptions of human natures, shocking yet couldn't have been more fair. The sequence of events flows so natural, one can only lament that the tragedy is inevitable.
on 19 September 2012
The book seems a little disjointed at first as it flips between different stories which all come together at the end. Very enjoyable, slightly shocking tales of adultery, a really good example of an early 20th C English writer pretending to be an American and mocking the English class system.
on 10 October 2015
This book is an absorbing, fascinating read. The writer's style is idiosyncratic and it is difficult to read until one becomes used to it. Thereafter the strong and timeless storyline combined with the quirky and original style exerts a powerful pull and make this book a most enjoyable read