Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 January 2001
If you collect Chinese porcelain of the 19thC and early 20thC then this book is a must. It has been written with the interests of amateur collectors in mind and deals with the type of porcelain which is within the reach of most of us, rather than just the expensive "Imperial" wares. All aspects of reign marks, glazes etc. are discussed along with footrims and many other factors used in determining age.Mr.Allen is not afraid to be controversial, and he refreshingly discloses in some instances, prices he has paid for items and mistakes he has made himself. The issue of fakes is discussed, possibly for the first time in such depth. The colour illustrations are of superb quality. This is not a cheap book but well worth the money in my opinion.
on 1 October 2006
I found this book extremely useful. It is written in a way that makes a rather complicated area accessible to me as a complete newcomer to this field. It can be read from cover to cover, or one can select a topic and read the relevant chapter. Every aspect of Qing dynasty porcelain is covered - from reign marks, Imperial porcelain, export porcelain and how to spot fakes! The illustrations really do illustrate the topics discussed. I enjoyed the author's frank discussions of his own experiences. It is an excellent reference book that I am sure I will refer to again and again.
on 1 November 2013
it is a very helpful book in a world of fakes,counterfeits etc.
practical,well written.plenty of exemple.i have been using ii since i rcvd the book