Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 May 2014
I love New Adult reads. I only became familiar with this genre after I started blogging about books last year and when I found out that one of my favourite writers was publishing a New Adult series I knew I would a) buy it and b) love it!

The Into the Deep series started with the eponymous first book (review here) and so started our love of Charley and Jake. Charley and Jake’s story started way back when they were sixteen year old kids, at high school in America. It followed their story as a fatal accident tore them apart and a chance reunion at university in Edinburgh thrust them together again years later.

In Out of The Shallows we join the pair again, this time they’ve returned to the States.

The story starts off in America, in Charley’s hometown of Lanton. It’s August 2013 and we join Charley in her mother’s florists. It’s instantly obvious that something has happened, just like the blurb alludes to, however it’s not so instantly clear exactly what’s gone on in Charley’s life. Whatever it is has had a serious impact on her relationship with her family and also her relationship with Jake.

The story continues in Charley’s narrative and flicks back and forth between the States and Edinburgh. Each of the Edinburgh scenes are a flashback which bring you up to speed with the character’s lives but also allows the story to build up to what has happened to flip Charley’s world upside down.

I really love the relationship between Charley and Jake, even in the more recent scenes it is chock full of angst and passion and a love so strong it feels like they are the only two people in the world to ever fall in love!

There are a few sub plots running throughout the book involving two of the other characters we were introduced to in the first book; Claudia and Beck. Claudia has family issues, and is reaching out to her parents in the story. Charley and the other university friends all make a sort of makeshift family for Claudia which reflects the storyline that is prevalent in Samantha’s On Dublin Street Series. There is also the story of Claudia and Beck’s tumultuous relationship which runs parallel with Charley and Jake's.

I couldn’t put the book down and read it all in a day. I kept hoping and hoping that Charley could reconcile all of her anxieties and repair all of the broken relationships. I think the flash backs really encourage you to keep flipping through the pages with an eagerness to find out what happens next.

I’m sad to be leaving the characters behind at the end of their story but I cannot wait to see what Sam brings out next. If you’ve read this, or fancy the sound of it then you should definitely check out her adult series, On Dublin Street – THEY ARE ALL PHENOMENAL.
on 14 April 2014
I have always been a huge fan of Young's writing and her books. I thought and do still think that Into the Deep was her best book thus far. Thats why when I was looking to read Out of the Shallows I was expecting the same level of excellency. I was so not impressed with a lot of things and I dont wanna be harsh because I do actually love Samantha and will continue to read and buy her books BUT I must be honest as a reader. I am quite suprised that im the person who feels this way about OOTS.

*SPOILERS*

Firstly the book was waaaaay too short. It should have been advertised as a novel or something. I felt many a time she was looking for drama that did not exist, I thought we past all that. But clearly not. Charley didnt seem that into him after pining for so long. It was slightley pathetic that Jake was still jumping through hoops even though he'd firstly apologisd and they moved and secondly, it was when they were kids. Its sad that the secondary characters stole all the scenes. Maybe Samantha will write a book about them, who knows? Either way, this was charleys and jake's book. I feel like after all that angst and lust in the first book, this is where we reap all the benefits but it was just unnecessary drama. Just pointless.Her dad was being ridiculous and her sister was being so dramatic. Jake calls and texts and emails...like a desperate puppy. It was a real turn off for me with Jake. Using Andie's accident is quite random of all the things to dump him over and yet he's all like yeah lets be friends. I would have thought he would be done. I was a little bored by the constant flashbacks because although I can keep up, it is quite a bother as it is not always clear like one page was marked 'last night'...when?!

I just feel like after waiting since last summer to January then waiting some more to mid April, i expected a whole lot more. I almost feel cheated in a way. I wanted love and passion and figuring out cute ways of dealing long distance and marriage and babies and mostly I wanted them to be the rock of the group. Instead I got whining and moaning and unnecessary heartbreak and excuses and resistance the whole way.

That being said, rock on FALL FROM INDIA'S PLACE.
on 22 April 2014
It was nice to finally see closure for charlie and jake just to be soccer punched with their split. It didn't help that the book goes to and fro and its a bit confusing which time which perspective and it gets a bit twisted but sorts itself out in the end. Although its commendable that charlie bedded the time to sort herself out I was a bit mad that it took so long for her to realise that and she was the one hurting jake instead of being brave and talking to her sister and jake and resolving her issues. Shame I Could not give it five stars as it am a huge fan is a Samantha youngs.
on 12 April 2014
Well the beginning of this book threw me! I even double checked to see if I had missed something, because I was not expecting it to start the way it did!

Charley is back home, working in her mothers florist, and from the conversation she is having with Claudia its clear that something bad has happened since the end of the last book. Something really bad, something that has her family barely speaking to her, her mother visiting the cemetery a lot, and she hasn’t spoken to Jake for months, leaving him wondering what the hell happened!

While I was reading Into the Deep, I was mad at Jake for a lot of the book, for the way he had treated Charley when they were younger, and for the way he seemed to keep her dangling back in the present. Now in this book the tables are turned and Charley is the one I'm mad at!
Charley is so focused on keeping things right with her parents, keeping them happy, that she has forgotten about her dreams, pushed Jake away and won't tell anyone why, not even Claudia.

The story is told the same way as Into the Deep, flitting between the past and present, and Samantha Young very cleverly reveals little snippets about what has happened, but never quite letting the whole story out until much later in the book.
I was so angry and frustrated with Charley for the way she pushed Jake away, because although you might think he deserved it as that was what he had done to her, they are older now and supposedly wiser. Jake really came into his own in this book, he stepped up to the mark and refused to give up on them. I fell in love with him a whole lot more in this book, and I was rooting for him all the way.

I was sad to come to the end of this story, because I was not ready to say goodbye to the characters, any of them. I love Jake and Charley of course, but there's also Claudia and Beck, I'm sure there's another story to be told there (hint hint Samantha Young!) and I would love to read more about Lowe too.
on 23 April 2014
Ugh I really don't know how to rate this. I do know that I wish I could get the time back I spent reading both books. Out of the shallows totally RUINED the story for me. How Charley could go from a gutsy, sweet, brave, feisty girl in the first book to miserable, whiny, selfish, manipulative and nasty in the sequel is totally beyond me. I absolutely hated her by the end of the book. Jake so deserved someone (heck, anyone) else that's for sure. It sickened me the way she made him pay, for a mistake he made as a kid when things were at their very worst for him, over and over and over again.

It's no secret I absolutely love SY's writing but this book sucked. The story limped along from the first word to the ridiculous epilogue (if you can call it that!). Did they get their HEA? Don't know and don't care, the ending was so weak! Another problem for me was the crazy timeline - I had whiplash trying to fathom out where/when/what was happening, the timeline was so short. Made for very disjointed and confusing reading.

I feel totally let down by this uber unnecessary book. Jake and Charley's story should have been wrapped up in Into the Deep, and if a second book was really necessary it should have been Beck & Claud's story.

So, 1 star for poor (stupid!!!) Jake and 1 for the writing (loved the idea of the story for Into the Deep but the wheels fell off in this one)
on 14 April 2014
I was so ecstatic that Samantha Young had released this early!! I LOVED Out Of The Shallows as much as much as Into The Deep. I fell in love with Jake and Charley all over again, I had really missed them and couldn't wait to see what happened next. I loved that Samantha had answered all the questions that was asked in the first book. Although I sort of knew who Charley dated after Jake broke her heart and was just waiting to see how he would react. In the first book, although I always rooted for Jake, I did find myself leaning towards Lowe. And was wondering if anything was going to pick up with him and Charley in this book. But I was happy with how their relationship ended with them loving each other in a purely platonic way. If they were a couple I don't think their chemistry would be the same. I also found myself falling head first in LUST with Beck!! I totally got consumed by Claudia and Beck's love story. I hope Samantha Young writes a spin off and they have their own book. I would love to know what happens behind closed doors. Especially regarding that hot as hell KISS that Charley walked in on. I am a HUGE fan of Samantha Young and have read everything she has written, and will continue to. Highly recommended.
on 25 April 2014
so disappointed in this book. I found the constant jumping back and forward hard to keep up with and the story line was just tedious and boring
on 16 April 2014
I'm not going to get on a soapbox here but as a fellow author, I can't express how much I enjoyed this book.
So many times sequels fail... Epically.
This one didn't. In fact, I enjoyed it as much as its predecessor, if not more.
Young follows the formula that makes books successful and she nails it every single time. Many authors might nail it in the first book, but forget that although the plot can be completely different for the second book the formula is still the same.
What I love about Samantha Young books is also her character development. She creates the most amazing well rounded three dimensional characters. People that you feel you know.
Charley, in this sequel, goes on a self-discovery journey. And we witness it so wonderfully from start to finish. Jake, seemed to have such growth in this story as well. And it made me root for them wholeheartedly.
I don't want to give anything away, but if you are a Samantha Young fan and enjoyed the first book in this series, you will love this one.
on 25 April 2014
I did like this second story about Jake and Charley and I so enjoyed the first one as I love a book with a lot of angst and 'will they won't they get together' kind of story. But like other reviews I did find it a bit all over the place and at times I wasn't sure whether I was reading about the past or the present and that is why I haven't given it 5 stars. Also I found the ending to be quite abrupt and I too was disappointed that her father didn't make amends with Jake. I found that side of the story a bit silly as anyone could see that he was only 17 years old when he made a stupid mistake and her father was a bit over the top about it so I think the ending could have been a bit longer with the father accepting Jake and actually bonding with him as he did with Andie's partner. However, I always love to read Samantha Young's books and on the whole she doesn't disappoint. I am hoping though that a separate story will come about Claudia and Beck as I think their story would be a good one with lots of angst, I'm hoping!
on 20 April 2014
I am a huge fan of Samantha Young' s novels. The first book 'Into the deep' was a gripping, beautiful story so I couldn't wait to read the sequel 'Into the shallows' but I was really disappointed with the ending.
Throughout the entire book you are rooting for the 2 main characters Charley & Jake to get back together as they are truly destined to be together, however throughout 98% of the book they are apart & then in the last chapter they reconcile. The epilogue then sees them visiting her parents and getting a milkshake???
I wanted to see them living together or at Andie' s wedding where some dramatic event led to Charley's dad finally accepting Jake. Or them getting engaged or something!
For me it was a huge build up for a very lame ending.
Now there needs to be a third book to complete their story properly, a milkshake just didn't cut it!