on 4 April 2014
I have been trying to learn German at home for several months using a teach yourself book+CD's. At first all went well but slowly found I seemed to be no longer progressing as well.
I tried a Kindle sample of the book and was surprised at how quickly I understood the story and remembered the words. Each story is short but interesting enough to make the reading enjoyable. Words that I had come across before but really struggled to remember were suddenly not only remembered in the story but were remembered when I came across them elsewhere. Generally as the book claims you learn without being aware of it.
I read each story out loud in German then re-read it translating as I went along and then repeated this as often as necessary. Having a small dictionary of key words after each story is really helpful and less time wasting than having to look through a full dictionary. An additional advantage over a simple dictionary is that where appropriate paraphrasing is done which makes the relevant passages more understandable.
When I came to buy this book I bought a paperback version and not the Kindle. Line spacing in the book is generous enough to allow me to write in pencil the phonetic pronunciation of some words where needed which is the main reason why I bought the paperback.
The other two books in this mini-series are also well worth having especially if read in the right order as they build on each other!!
Can't wait until I can progress onto the intermediate/advanced series.
on 3 April 2014
I engage with learning anything more by story telling, latching onto an idea and remembering things. So through the stories that André Klein has created, I can start putting together old and new words, as well as seeing how Dative and Akkusative work in real life and not just in technical exercises. Some of the mistakes the characters make with pronunciation, make me laugh, as I also make mistakes.
on 17 September 2014
These books are fantastic! It's a great way to learn a new language. The stories themselves are so interesting and entertaining you can't wait to get on to the next page - you end up so absorbed in the story that you forget you are learning a foreign language! Would love to see books like these printed in other foreign languages too.
on 1 August 2014
Initially I bought this not knowing it was part of a series. Thus it took a little while to get my bearings. However soon was attempting to read the short stories and enjoying their thematic unity. I found it a handy resource to revise my rusty German. One minor quibble would be the lack of der/das/die in the word vocabulary (to aid remembering gender), but not worth marking it down for. I'd look forward to read more in the series.
on 4 September 2015
This is the third of a series of five short novels about Dino and his adventures visiting Berlin, Frankfurt, Koln, Munchen and Hamburg. They are written for the beginner in reading German and so the chapters are short and the sentences are not complex. Andre Klein provides amusing stories while at the same time giving a little information about each city, its customs, particular dialect and aspects of modern German city life. I find the series meets my needs perfectly, I enjoy the stories and find the vocabulary at the end of each chapter invaluable. The only problem for me is checking the answers to the questions which are also at the end of each chapter as the answers are at the end of the book and I don't find it easy to do on a Kindle. To be fair the answer is usually easy but occasionally I like to confirm I got it right.
If you are looking for an easy way to learn to read German this series is a great start.
on 19 May 2014
My son, who is a normal 14 year old who would rather kick a ball outside, picked this book up when it arrived and actually enjoyed reading it and seeing how much he could read. Very confidence building and I would recommend this. Inexpensive too.
on 5 November 2015
Easily read and surprisingly interesting story line. Includes selected words and phrases translation. Also a small test at the end of each chapter, mostly to stop you spead reading. Kindle based version is excellent. Volume 3.

Works with my Kindle based Collins German to English dictionary. With dictionary on Kindle the auto translation links in book do not work.
on 10 April 2014
this series of books are clearly structured and lead you in a nice graded structure through more complex vocabulary and content.
on 3 April 2014
This is the third episode in the Dino saga and is great fun and a really good way of developing German skills.
on 1 June 2014
I have bought several of Andre Klein's short German readers and this is every bit as good as the others. This is a great way to build up vocabulary in context and learn German. Would recommend to those who are beginners or intermediate students, or those who are learning german on their own.