5.0 out of 5 stars Belief as part of real life
I just bought this book and love it. Frank Scheaffer's deals with an inner contradiction many of us struggle with, a lack of religious 'faith' and a stubborn instinct to believe in God anyway.

Published 7 months ago by Jessica Finland

2.0 out of 5 stars Confused
Published 6 months ago by Reader

2.0 out of 5 stars Confused, 15 Jun 2014
Does the author really believe what he is writing? What is he afraid of? He seems to want to please everyone. Maybe he is trying to be subversive? What is he trying to subvert? He clearly loves his children and grandchildren. Can you really have love without any reference points? Does love, or beauty for that matter, really mean anything if your grasp on reality is as unstable as the author wants us to believe? To be as uncertain as he claims to be about everything leaves one suspicious that he is not quite as uncertain as he he wants us to think. For someone as uncertain about the Bible he seems to make a lot of assertions about life which can only come from it. Can love be that inconsistent? I am not asking for clarity and get the idea that many of the most cherished beliefs of Christians or Atheists are built on sand but somewhere the sand meets the sea and one can have a measure of confidence that on one side it is dry and on the other it is wet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Belief as part of real life, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Why I am an Atheist Who Believes in God: How to give love, create beauty and find peace (Paperback)

Gently, through a real life view of his grandchildren children, the death of his mom, and an opera singer met on an airplane, Frank works through his own human dilemma with honesty, insight and humor. It mace for a great read. And allowed me to think things through without getting pushed away by cold intellectual argumentation

1.0 out of 5 stars Frank, but not like Francis., 2 Jun 2014
G. J. Weeks (London) - See all my reviews
Like a former heavy smoker who becomes strident against tobacco, Frank rails against the beliefs of his parents. But first I should thank him for his generosity in allowing a free Kindle download for a couple of days and for what reads as a heart on the shoulder account of his presents beliefs. However I believe he is wrong to describe his parents as fundamentalist, a really pejorative term. His father preferred the name, Bible believing Christian. I also take exception the Frank slandering such believers as Bible worshipping Christians. Frank treats Scripture like someone in a pick and mix sweet store. He choses the bits that suit his now liberal and post-modernist perspective. He ask what is truth and concludes it does not consist of objective presuppositions. He is big on love and beauty and there is beauty n the way he depicts his family love. But why does he need to use four letter words in his narrative? I see he has rejected more than his father's doctrine of Scripture. He has left antithesis for what Francis would call an upper story experience of religion and in so doing he confirms his father's assertion that the non-believer cannot consistently follow his own chosen path of rejection of the truth. But on some things I am with Frank. He stridently rejects the atheists who claim certainty, also the non-representational in modern art and the atonality of modern music.

4.0 out of 5 stars An engaging read., 27 May 2014
"Why I am an Atheist who believes in God" is written in a very dialogical, vulnerable, and honest fashion. Frank invites his readers on a journey through his experiences and thoughts. This book will take you on journey through Frank's experiences with his mother's death, his 'providential' encounters with strangers, and his reflections on his own life. It is in that context that Frank will raise 'an issue' or a topic. Schaeffer will invite you to see the world through his eyes, which may be challenging, but worth it; if not for any other reason but to empathize with a fellow human being who is processing life, faith, non-faith, out loud in this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Theological Reflection and Personal Off-loading..., 27 July 2014
As a long-time reader of Francis Schaeffer's work, I found this insight into the private world of his family fascinating. Frank Schaeffer speaks on behalf of a generation who have parted company with their Evangelical roots, and as such offers us significant insight into the reasons why. If the book has a weakness, for me it is the overlap of theological / philosophical reflections with personal therapy. At tiems I couldn't tell if Schaeffer was airing his considered views or just venting his anger. It's legitiamte to do both, but I felt at times that he had lost sight of the distinction. A recommended read for all those wanting to better understand the current 'post-evangelical' movement.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read a lot and this is the book that left the greatest impression on me in 2014, 6 Dec 2014
This is a powerful book. From a Christian background at times I even felt guilty reading it! But the sheet honesty of the author is I found very very helpful. Yes there should be two very's there. I read a lot and this is the book that left the greatest impression on me in 2014. I believe there is a God who loves us but I really wrestle and struggle to keep hold of that. It is helpful to come across other people who struggle and wrestle as well. Many thanks Frank for an honest book

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 15 Aug 2014
A self-indulgent book, but readable all the same. I don't see how you can actually be an atheist and still go to church and observe the sacraments as Schaeffer says he does; there must still be a "still small voice" telling him there is something in this. So Schaeffer doesn't quite persuade the reader as to why he still goes to church (albeit a very different one than he was brought up in).

4.0 out of 5 stars Post-modern Christian views, 4 Oct 2014
Mrs. N. BROWN-DAVIS "peaceangel" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
I tend to agree with most of what he writes, as my background is slightly similar. He's a good artist too!

5.0 out of 5 stars To be read again...and again, 8 May 2014
Fiona (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
I have read several of Frank Schaeffer's non fictional works and I find the clarity of his writing style, his insight and humour and the humility that emanates from his narrative voice cuts through so much of the spiritual and religious 'red-tape' that it makes reading his work both an enlightenment and a joy. This book is no exception. I will be reading it again tooled up with a highlighter marker and some post-it notes to make it my own.