Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 April 2014
Fantastic book, can't recommend it enough. The author is someone I could really relate to and was the best book I've read on the subject of drinking. It really helped me quit for good.
on 25 April 2014
This book was so easy to read. I loved the fact that the author didn't over-dramtise the lows or the highs. I find some people who write about these topics put the fear of God in to the tale. An honest and practical take on addiction/habit. I found the her writing on her recovery really motivating and not at all preachy or over the top. Just got the feeling through the whole book that this is someone I could relate to.
on 4 May 2014
Great Book, Very well written, I could have been reading about myself, I have made a conscious decision to stop drinking after many years of dithering about it whilst knowing my habit had got out of hand, so now I am plowing through as many of these 'drinking' books as I can find, and this one has been really inspiring to me, it's still early days for me but I will re-read this book many, many times.
on 18 June 2015
This book made such a difference to me. I could relate to so much of it, Rachel Black is a fantastic writer, she's able to put into words what I just couldn't explain to my husband, nor fully make sense of myself. My husband has benefited immensely from reading it too and has a much better understanding of what I'm going through. There are so many tips and suggestions on how to live sober AND enjoy your life. The 'then and now' scenarios are invaluable to look at the huge benefits of not drinking. I was stuck in a rut before reading this book, stuck between two lives, the one when I drank and this one where I don't drink, not belonging fully to either. Rachel has shared her hugely personal story here and it's made me feel like I'm not alone..and that I can do this, and my life will be much better. It already is. If you're worried about the way you are drinking then read this book. Thank you Rachel.
on 27 November 2014
Truly inspirational. A light that shines at the end of a very dark and scary tunnel. Rachel is very honest, very candid and very clear about the pros and cons of embarking on such a hard journey. She doesn't promise you the moon on a stick, she just tells it like it is, and in so doing, she truly gives you hope. Absolutely brilliant and highly recommended.
on 20 April 2014
This book reaches out to any of us who have ever struggled with alcohol, and the effects of drinking too much. Rachel write from the heart and has such an engaging style, the book is impossible to put down. I was with her on the journey and all the while saying, yes that's me, and so is that. Excellent read and highly recommended.
on 5 April 2014
Lovely book. It's great strength is complete honesty of some (not all) people's relationship with alcohol. It takes great courage and self-awareness to be so straight and that is an inspiration to me. Best book have read on how a relationship with alcohol can be dysfunctional for some - but not for others.
on 30 September 2014
It was most helpful to me to read a book which seemed to document my own relationship with wine, something that I drink daily despite vowing not to each morning. I feel inspired to follow the tips and example laid out in the book and am starting to believe I can do this. Thank you Rachel!
on 24 February 2016
Having been recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, my consultant advised that I stopped drinking. I have always thought of myself as a social drinker. However, over the years my consumption had gradually increased to having half a bottle of white wine a day - more on weekends, social events and holidays, which meant that I was regularly having much more than I admitted.

My determination to stop was really strong. That did not stop it being difficult! Not drinking changed my experience of lots of different events that I had previously enjoyed; it also made me aware of how much of my life revolved around having a drink.

This book has been a friend to me during the process of not drinking. It helped me to anticipate times that would be difficult and prepare different tactics to get me through. I sometimes have avoided certain situations altogether because I just don't enjoy them without the presence of alcohol.
It sounds quite sad, but I think that this book is supportive because it spells out that I am not alone. Our society encourages the use of fairly heavy alcohol consumption - I have become really aware of the amount of tv programs that depict drinking as an integral part of normal life. This book reflects the less attractive side to this socially accepted norm.

I was never an alcoholic, and didn't even suffer with many hangovers, but my drinking was dominating my decisions and really dulling my experience of life. I can now see the control that alcohol had over me.

So reading this book has expanded my awareness that perhaps I did have a problem and has helped me along the journey of always being sober. It is funny and easy to read giving the important message that life really can be full of joy without a few glasses of chilled white wine!
on 16 April 2015
I am only halfway through this book, as I purchased it along with others and only just got round to reading this one. I felt compelled to review it now, as it is one of the best books about sobriety that I have read. It is very easy to read, and written beautifully. If anyone can inspire you to stay in sobriety and feel good about it, then Rachel Black is the person. This is a very empowering book, and one I truly identified with. I have just noticed her other books. and will be buying them today.