5.0 out of 5 stars A genre multiverse epic of a story, 17 July 2013
Chris Graham (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
The author has incorporated so many genre in this story, the only way it can be described is by putting it into a class all of its own - Paranormal / Supernatural / Metaphysical / Science Fiction / Fantasy (PSMSFF).
Far from being a mishmash, it is skilfully written, with a well planned start which feels creepy (like a haunted house is creepy), then a dimensional leap (literally) finds the heroine and TWO muscular men (forget a love issue, it's not going to happen - with them at least), discovering a world that sounds familiar enough to science fiction fans, but the denizens they meet will have supernatural horror AND fantasy fans leaping from their chairs!
Metaphysical aspects? - read the book, even theology fans / critics get their share of the action.
A wonderfully encompassing, gripping read you will grudge spending time away from to eat, sleep or drink, so settle down with food, drinks and a blanket and prepare to be well entertained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kev's Stuff, 6 Jan. 2014
Well, what can I say? There are so many levels to this story it's amazing that Jo managed to pack it all together. Ingeniously she did. whether you are into the creepy ghost story, sci-fi, good vs evil, space fantasy and dimensions, epic monsters, etc. something in Shadow People will grab you. It has it all. I'll have to admit, Jo had me wondering where it all was leading to, but isn't that what makes a good story? The thing I liked about Shadow People most, is that nothing is predictable. Want to prove me wrong there? Read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the world and characters, 16 Sept. 2013
It has been a while since I've read a sci-fi novel which I really enjoyed, mainly because it is hard to create a world and characters believable enough for the book not to become a laughing matter. The author of this one has balanced outlandish creatures, a new, strange, world, and technology which is real enough not to be thrown off by while reading the mind blowing adventures.
She also weaves in metaphysical elements into the story, but in a way that makes sense, because it is in essence about the ongoing battle between good and evil. Each and every action and reaction is neatly connected and leads us deeper into the story.
At first it reminded me of Avatar, but soon enough the author led me away from that thought by the way she gave her characters and worlds a signature of their own.
The only downside I can find is that however we know it all ends well, the author could have worked out the end a bit more. Don't get me wrong the end is very satisfactory, but seems `rushed'.
All in all I am not a real fan of serialised novels, but seeing this is a stand-alone novel and we can either choose to read the next one or not, I will want to read the next one to. Because being honest, I want to know how the main character solves her next task.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful fantasy., 2 Jan. 2015
I was thrilled to get this book as a gift. Jo's storytelling is supreme. I'm completely captivated by this story and can't wait to read the rest of the series! Wonderful fantasy.

Shadow People: The Finding: Volume 1
Shadow People: The Finding: Volume 1 by Jo Robinson (Paperback - 12 Feb. 2014)