5.0 out of 5 stars The best read of 2013
Published 18 months ago by Dorothy

"It is written in the ages that Arthur represents a man who is the epitome of good against evil, light against the darkness and that eternal, never ending struggle of what is right and what is wrong"

`And so it begins...
Published 15 months ago by Lucinda

3.0 out of 5 stars a straightforward, easy-to-read retelling of the Arthurian Legends, 10 April 2014
This review is from: The Prophecy (Hardcover)

`And so it begins...
have you ever gone through life where something just happens, and you get a feeling or have a sensation so surreal it is as if time itself stands still?'

In a realm in a land known as Mannan, and in the sixth century under Uther's reign a Celtic boy called Jacob whose life changes forever... The safety of Camelot is tested as Merlin's great enemy Mortis summons an army, which marches forth towards Arthur & his Knights. In a time of myth and a land filled with magic courage and strength is mustered, with the impending battle of an age about to ensue... Anyone interested in the Arthurian Legends and of fantasy tales will simply love this brilliantly realised version.

"Morgana slowed her steed to a steady trot and lowered her hood before proceeding on her way. She glanced up, and although she could not see the many eyes upon her she could feel them...it seemed that Morgana's reputation proceeded her, and there was no one in the land foolish enough to challenge her"

Intricately woven and full of wonderful passages, Lisa Jones' evocative novel is an engaging read. I loved how King Uther, Arthur & the Knights of Camelot and the Wizard Merlin were brought to life in such a compelling and highly readable way. However, I did feel personally that unlike compared to other writer's such as Bernard Cornwell or my favourite historical writer on the subject; M K Hume this story was simplistic in style and lacking that extra layer of depth. The characters were well conceived and I could easily visualize the settings, although I found that there was more dialogue that seemed to overbalance the description. I loved all the characters, apart from the young lad Jacob whose discordance within the rest of the story left me perplexed as to his part in the plot. The author has done a credible job at grasping the archaic myths & legends that readers know and love so much, and putting them on the page in a highly original and distinctive way. The Prophecy is an assured novel that's well written and in many ways fairly authentic, despite not being quite as momentous as I was expecting.

As a straightforward, easy-to-read retelling of the Arthurian Legends then this book is a recommended read but I would not go as far as to say that it blew me away. Lisa is a writer with a lot of promise, with her debut novel as a fictional work of respectable execution. I <u>wouldn't say</u> that it is in the league of TH White, MK Hume or Tolkien though sadly.

*I won a copy of this novel through a first-read giveaway on Goodreads *

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the story but there were so many mistakes, 1 Feb. 2015
Amazon Customer (Kinloss, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Prophecy (Hardcover)
I enjoyed the story but there were so many mistakes, not just grammatical or print errors but sometimes the characters got mixed up, all tolled it spoid the book for me and I will not now bother with the rest of the trilogy. Sorry Lisa.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best read of 2013, 17 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Prophecy (Paperback)
I bought this book as after reading the preview as i was intrigued to say the least. I love the era of king arthur and the magic and sorcery was superb. The characters develop more as time goes by but there are many twists and turns along the way. I would say that this in my opinion is the top book of the year that i have read so far and believe me i do read at least four books a week. The story was well presented and thought out and i found myself unable to put this book down as i was just dying to find out what happened next. I was very pleased to discover that this is just the first book in the trilogy and i cannot wait until the second book redemption is released in 2014. In my final words this book is very highly recommended and from start to finish it is action packed and once you start to read you will find yourself unable to put this down

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping with plenty of grit!, 18 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Prophecy (Paperback)
Thoroughly enjoyed and looking forward to the release of Redemption. The relationship between the main characters is touching and there is an element of humour thrown in too which i found endearing

The Prophecy
The Prophecy by Lisa Jones (Paperback - 18 Dec. 2013)
Out of stock