5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic guitar books
Published 6 months ago by Paul Trueman

2.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT for beginners.
Published 1 month ago by Guitar Fan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic guitar books, 12 Feb 2014
I have bought quite a few of this range of books from Joseph Alexander. Finally after buying close to a hundred guitar tuition books I stumbled on this series of books, and after initially thinking "how good can they be for a few quid" I was amazed at how every page of each book offers something to learn. Even stuff I already knew is explained in a clearer way which makes it easier to use and memorize. Every guitarist / teacher will benefit from owning these great books and they won't cost you a fortune.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Playing Blues Guitar: Book One - Rhythm: 1 (Play Blues Guitar) (Paperback)
This is a great book. There are plenty of books on the market that focus only on lead work and the few that concentrate on the rhythm side tend to be somewhat dull and hard-going. Not the case here. This book takes you through all aspects of blues rhythm at a lively yet manageable pace. It is packed with examples and goes from the basics through to fairly advanced work. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good introduction to blues rhythm guitar, 24 Dec 2013
Vin (Ipswich, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Like many of the others who have already commented on this book I also have several of the authors other books. The standard of this one matches his previous ones. I have too many guitar books that just contain page after page of sheet music and tab with little or no description or insight into what is being presented. While this may well be fine for a song book, it isn't (in my opinion) enough for a book that purports to actually teach. Joseph writes in a clear simple way that provides understanding and context to the material being presented.

I read through the book quite quickly to get an overview of the book and now it's time to start digging in. Some (many ?) guitar books start off simple then after a few pages race off into much more complicated stuff. This one doesn't, it starts off at a very basic level and gradually builds up from there. New ideas are added to previous examples, i.e. chord substitutions. There is good coverage of both straight and swing feels. I also liked how the author stresses when you should play and not just what notes/chords to play. The later part of the book has some interesting ideas for when you are playing with several other musicians so that you can make a useful contribution to the overall sound without stepping on each others toes.

I purchased the kindle version which I think is very good value for money at 5, especially as you can also obtain the audio examples, backing trackas (mp3 format) and a free pdf of the book from the author. I'm looking forward to spending quite some time working on the ideas in this book along with the Justin Sandercoes 'Blues Rhythm Guitar' DVD. Looking forwards to the second part on blues lead guitar too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best beginner blues book. Brilliant!, 21 July 2014
Bought this for my ten year old daughter. Love it. Easy to follow, logical and intuitive. If only all music books and tutors taught this logically. The praise for this book is justified. As a teacher of anything you have to have a plan as to where you are leading somebody and many teachers don't as they are musicians not teachers. This author is obviously an excellent musician and an excellent teacher which is IMHO quite rare outside the classical field. I have had teachers myself who teach you far too much complex stuff before you understand the basics, whereas this book goes logically from simple one step at a time building on concepts and gently adding manageable progressions never straying from the central concept and enabling you to develop a genuinely useful blues vocabulary. A great learning book for blues guitar beginners who want to start simple and realise that you need to do a lot of groundwork before you can even begin to attempt the flashy stuff properly. I will be definitely looking at his other books. With authors like this and the Justin guitar website (he is also an amazing teacher) and a bit of knowledge of how to practice (i.e giving the notes their full value and not cutting them off, knowing to practice with metronomes or drum machines and practicing really slowly and only moving on to the next speed until you are ready) people who can't afford lessons can now learn the guitar really easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to playing the Blues, 24 April 2014
Mark Cave (Birmingham, West Midlands) - See all my reviews
A brilliant book that can be used by beginners and also anyone who wants to learn Blues Guitar, even more experienced players will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 11 April 2014
Very informative, better than a lot of the other blues guitar books I have read, from beginners to advanced.
Since buying this book, I have also bought "The caged System and 100 Licks for Blues Guitar".
Will definately be buying more of his books.
All the audio examples can be down loaded, which is a great help.
Buy these books if you are into Blues!

5.0 out of 5 stars the dogs, 24 Jan 2014
love the caged series
its a saucer full of secrets
somewhere in this series is the unholy grail
perhaps its the 3 tone jump ?

2.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT for beginners., 26 Jun 2014
I've been playing guitar for about 5 months now. I've learned from group classes, one on one tuition and also Justin 'Sandercoe' Guitar's website. Finally, I reached the stage where I wanted to focus on one style - which was the blues. So I picked up this book based on the reviews. Personally, I think I should have stuck with Justin Sandercoe blues lessons. This book is just to much for a beginner.

I've been very fair and given the book a chance. I started from the beginning, spent a good amount of time on every exercise and made sure I could play it well before moving onto the next. The problem was that the material quickly stopped making logical sense - and in the end, stopped being fun. Another problem is songs. There aren't any. I've always found the best way to keep interested in the guitar is to learn songs as you learn exercises, chords and theory. I wasn't expecting songs from well known artists to feature in the book (because of song rights issues and so on...) but maybe some samples of the author's own work would have been nice.

Having fun on the guitar is what keeps me going. Learning new techniques and continuing to improve on areas I've been working on for a while is very rewarding and keeps me coming back. I stopped having fun on this book once it got past chapter 3. Maybe it's just an issue with the book's lesson structure?

The book does gain an extra star for the included audio content though. It's very well put together and does tie up with what you're reading.

Ultimately, I would probably recommend this to someone who has been playing for longer than I have and maybe has a more than basic understanding of music theory. But as I beginner wanting to learn blues style, I don't think this is a good place to start. Nevertheless it hasn't put me off learning the blues.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great source for Budding Blues Guitarists of all levels., 15 July 2014
Deals with the often neglected but most important foundation of Blues Music (Rhythm Guitar) in a logical order from the ground up. Some of the knowledge I was already aware of e.g. 12 bars, 1,4,5's & 7th chords. However what I did find more useful to me as a intermediate level guitarist was the section where the extended chords were being introduced. I can see myself getting a lot of good ideas out of this to take my Blues Rhythm playing to another level. Now if I could only just quit my job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent learner for blues, 12 July 2014
T. Beckett "Tom Beckett" (Glasgow U.K.) - See all my reviews
The complete guide to plaing blues guitar is an excellent and easy to understand guide, though it's not for the absolute beginner I believe you would need to advanced beginner or intermediate player, it is laid out in easy to learn chapters and all the music samples, backing track etc can be downloaded from their website, so good I've bought part 2 already,

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›