5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
Published 17 months ago by GS

1.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Guide To Playing Blues Guitar Part One
I don't have a problem with this book as such, but I cannot access the audio files, you cannot download them straight to your tablet/kindle and my pc just will not let me access them.
Published 2 months ago by Mr DG Davies

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Playing Blues Guitar: Book One - Rhythm: Volume 1 (Play Blues Guitar) (Paperback)
This is a great book. There are plenty of books on the market that focus only on lead work and the few that concentrate on the rhythm side tend to be somewhat dull and hard-going. Not the case here. This book takes you through all aspects of blues rhythm at a lively yet manageable pace. It is packed with examples and goes from the basics through to fairly advanced work. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic guitar books, 12 Feb. 2014
I have bought quite a few of this range of books from Joseph Alexander. Finally after buying close to a hundred guitar tuition books I stumbled on this series of books, and after initially thinking "how good can they be for a few quid" I was amazed at how every page of each book offers something to learn. Even stuff I already knew is explained in a clearer way which makes it easier to use and memorize. Every guitarist / teacher will benefit from owning these great books and they won't cost you a fortune.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good introduction to blues rhythm guitar, 24 Dec. 2013
Vin (Ipswich, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Like many of the others who have already commented on this book I also have several of the authors other books. The standard of this one matches his previous ones. I have too many guitar books that just contain page after page of sheet music and tab with little or no description or insight into what is being presented. While this may well be fine for a song book, it isn't (in my opinion) enough for a book that purports to actually teach. Joseph writes in a clear simple way that provides understanding and context to the material being presented.

I read through the book quite quickly to get an overview of the book and now it's time to start digging in. Some (many ?) guitar books start off simple then after a few pages race off into much more complicated stuff. This one doesn't, it starts off at a very basic level and gradually builds up from there. New ideas are added to previous examples, i.e. chord substitutions. There is good coverage of both straight and swing feels. I also liked how the author stresses when you should play and not just what notes/chords to play. The later part of the book has some interesting ideas for when you are playing with several other musicians so that you can make a useful contribution to the overall sound without stepping on each others toes.

I purchased the kindle version which I think is very good value for money at £5, especially as you can also obtain the audio examples, backing trackas (mp3 format) and a free pdf of the book from the author. I'm looking forward to spending quite some time working on the ideas in this book along with the Justin Sandercoes 'Blues Rhythm Guitar' DVD. Looking forwards to the second part on blues lead guitar too.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Guide To Playing Blues Guitar Part One, 16 April 2015
Therefore this book is of limited appeal. I have emailed the author on 4 occasions asking if they can be emailed or if there is any other way of hearing them - not a single response.
Given I bought 4 of his books at once (do I wish now I hadn't) I believe I at least deserved an answer of some description.
So be warned, if you're having problems don't expect any help, no matter what he says up front.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best beginner blues book. Brilliant!, 21 July 2014
Bought this for my ten year old daughter. Love it. Easy to follow, logical and intuitive. If only all music books and tutors taught this logically. The praise for this book is justified. As a teacher of anything you have to have a plan as to where you are leading somebody and many teachers don't as they are musicians not teachers. This author is obviously an excellent musician and an excellent teacher which is IMHO quite rare outside the classical field. I have had teachers myself who teach you far too much complex stuff before you understand the basics, whereas this book goes logically from simple one step at a time building on concepts and gently adding manageable progressions never straying from the central concept and enabling you to develop a genuinely useful blues vocabulary. A great learning book for blues guitar beginners who want to start simple and realise that you need to do a lot of groundwork before you can even begin to attempt the flashy stuff properly. I will be definitely looking at his other books. With authors like this and the Justin guitar website (he is also an amazing teacher) and a bit of knowledge of how to practice (i.e giving the notes their full value and not cutting them off, knowing to practice with metronomes or drum machines and practicing really slowly and only moving on to the next speed until you are ready) people who can't afford lessons can now learn the guitar really easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Building Blocks to Great Blues Guitar Playing, 7 Sept. 2014
Having bought Joseph's "The CAGED System and 100 Licks for Blues Guitar" (see my earlier review) it was a logical step to also buy this book. Especially as I had by this stage also started having lessons with Joseph over Skype - me in the UK, him in Thailand!
The book is really excellent in its simplicity of explanation and good audio tracks to help get you sounding the way it's intended with minimum fuss.
Indeed, having the book as well as the lessons was perfect, as they were a great compliment to each other. We covered things in more detail in the lesson, but I was able to refer to the book if ever I felt unsure of my memory of something - it's all there. Well structured, progressive and nicely paced.
Oh, and very reasonably priced too, when I think of the plethora of other tutorial books I have bought down the years that I have been studying and learning Blues guitar; this series finally delivers more than is promised on the cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars I've Learned Quite a Bit About Blues Guitar from this Book, 18 May 2015
With the recent passing of blues guitar master, BB King, I've listened to more of this style of music, and used it as motivation to start working through this book (which I actually bought some time ago).

I'm writing this review after having worked through the first eight chapters, and my overall impressions are, so far, quite positive. The book is logically arranged around the development of blues melody, harmony, and rhythm skills. Joseph Alexander starts with simple examples, and then fluidly increases complexity in bite sized chunks. This, in addition to the large set of accompanying audio examples (a library of mp3 files available as a free download from his website) makes the material quite accessible.

I have learned quite a bit from this book, and I like it. I would have given it 5 stars out of 5, but there are quite a few typos in the text, which is why I rated it slightly lower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 11 April 2014
Very informative, better than a lot of the other blues guitar books I have read, from beginners to advanced.
Since buying this book, I have also bought "The caged System and 100 Licks for Blues Guitar".
Will definately be buying more of his books.
All the audio examples can be down loaded, which is a great help.
Buy these books if you are into Blues!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Needed, 4 Sept. 2014
I've played guitar for around 7 years but got to a point where I was getting frustrated by my sheer lack of knowledge of anything other than how to play song covers. I desperately needed a fairly simple, easy to follow guide on how to open up and free my playing.

I figured the blues was as good a starting point as any for this journey and stumbled across the Blues Guitar series from Joseph Alexander. The first book in the series focuses on rhythm playing and, in particular, the 12 bar blues. In no time at all I was pulling together some great sounding progressions and quickly had the confidence to explore and embellish on what I had learned. I feel so much more confident now and in a position to kick on and explore the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautifully structured, well-paced instructional book, 20 Dec. 2013
Having already bought several of Mr Alexander's books on jazz guitar playing, I knew just how well he is able to break down and explain often quite complex musical topics in a way that allows not just the understanding but also the immediate application of them. This book assuming no pre-knowledge, starts with the absolute basics, but soon progresses in small, manageable steps to expand the dedicated reader's blues' vocabulary in quite sophisticated melodic, harmonic and, above all, rhythmic ways. I can't wait for the forthcoming second book in this two-part series which will focus on soloing. If it's anything as good as this one, the two books together will certainly approach the 'completeness' promised in the series' title.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›