Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 March 2014
A comprehensive exhortation using witness of scripture, patristics and evangelical councils and more recent consultations in Asia & Sth America as well as lives and spirituality of many saints to show that the call to bear witness to our experience of the joy of the Gospel is integral to the new life conferred upon everyone baptised into Christ. Compelling and stirring.
on 22 February 2014
A brilliant call to return to the teachings of Christ. While the Church is right to warn us of those thing which are destrutive to our wellbeing its may aim is to evangelise, to call us back to things that are wholesome, virtuous and healthy spiritually, physically and mentally. In Evangelii Guadium there is a recipe to achieve all this.
on 11 January 2014
`The Joy of the Gospel' is a work of love and compassion for those who prefer to live in a vacuum - for that I give it high marks. Yet, how about the joy of the real world we live in? Francis ignores the issues of the day as if they didn't exist. For example, consider homosexuality.

Benedict defines homosexuality as an intrinsic disorder; a position roundly supported by the Old Testament where the penalty is death. Leviticus 20: "If a man lie with mankind, as with womankind, both have committed an abomination, they shall surely be put to death."

But, we don't live in the Old Testament; do we. We live in the New Testament.

In the New Testament (Corinthians 6 and again in Romans 1) the penalty is worse than death - permanent exclusion from heaven: "Be not deceived, neither the immoral, not adulterers, nor effeminates, nor homosexual offenders...will inherit the kingdom of heaven."

Benedict's definition is also consistent with Canon Law: `homosexuality is a sinful disorder.' Like any head of state a pope takes an oath to preserve and protect the constitution - in the case of the Roman Catholic Church - the constitution is Canon Law.

Francis comes along: "If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has goodwill who am I to judge?" One would wonder how a pope can set aside Canon Law he is sworn to defend and protect?

Francis is responding to a higher order. Christ's instruction: `Love thy Neighbor as Thyself.' Reminiscent of John Paul I who as a cardinal once brought his struggle for homosexuals into the Sistine Chapel: "The day is not far off when we will have to answer to these people who through the years have been humiliated, whose rights have been ignored, whose human dignity has been offended, their identity denied and their liberty oppressed. What is more, we will have to answer to the God who created them." See John Paul I biography The Vatican Murders: The Life and Death of John Paul I .

There is not a whisper of this kind of thing in this book. It is as if Francis has no real responsibilities in this world. No mention of women ordination, celibacy, contraception, abortion, pedophilia, or any of a host of other issues that face the Church today. There is no real meat here. Just a repetition of verses and generalities carefully engineered to steer the mind away from the real world we live in into a world of ecclesiastical bliss.

Why would a book which only wealth is excerpts from the gospels reap five stars?

Vatican censorship? Reviews of those who prefer to ignore the issues of the day? More likely, courage; in grading `pope' books one risks one's salvation.

A five star book? How about a debate between these two men who have reached the pinnacle of Catholic faith on homosexuality or any of the others issues of the real world we live in.
on 13 August 2015
I am not a catholic but admire this man a lot so I enjoyed this book
on 19 March 2014
The book is well worth reading many times. It is simple and straightforward without difficult words and can be understood by people not steeped in theology. The price makes it easy on most pockets
on 21 February 2015
Very interesting to read the Pontiffs views. There is a lot of plain speaking intermingled with thought provoking sentiments. Difficult to follow in places but a good read nevertheless.
on 8 January 2014
My rating does not refer to the content of this apostolic letter, but to the impossibly small type of this particular edition. The buyer should be forewarned that the print in this ediiton is as user-unfriendly as it is possible to be.
on 9 January 2014
This is a thought provoking piece of work, worth reading slowly. In fact I just read a couple of paragraphs each day. The section on how to give a sermon isn't relevant to me but it's interesting to know what Pope Francis wants me to hear when I attend church on Sundays. The document is demanding - indeed, it's an exhortation, not an encyclical - but very positive and optimistic. I will need to reread it to be able to take it all in.
on 3 April 2014
A must for all who take the mission of Jesus Christ. Consistant with Francis theme that the Gospel is a gift to all and not a secret to be reserved by a few
on 11 April 2014
The content is very good, but the print is very small. It's a strain to read it. It's just a bit better than the first edition I'd bought.