Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 March 2013
As the partner of someone who has suffered I paused when attempting to write this review. I have found it difficult to communicate the feelings which I had during and after reading this story.
The story of this young man is powerfully evocative, excellent descriptive narrative is used to represent the inner turmoil. Shifting sequences shadow the movement of his mind.
In the first instance we are thrust into a deep emotional whirlpool, which carries us along. There is a compulsion to keep reading, buffeted along by the internal chaos of the character Nick and his journey through delusion and ultimately confusion. At times I cried, I even laughed, but overwhelming sadness was what I felt the most.
To love someone with a mental illness requires compassion, love, patience and understanding. I find that reading a story of another's suffering helps me better understand and appreciate my partner.
No one will understand the courage and fear it will have taken to expose the details of the mind laid out in the pages of this book. My only hope is that the intention to help others is fulfilled, and that light will come to those who suffer in the knowing that they are not alone. Thank you for your courage
on 5 April 2013
I read Deadweight with a little bit of trepedation because I as not sure what I was going to discover. The author has done an excellent job of sharing what daily struggles someone with mental health issues has to go through to be seen as "normal". How many of us can ever say that we do not have some of the thoughts that Nick has shared? I found this book very insightful, allowing me to empathise with my friends and collegues that have such issues but with the students that I teach who often find it difficult to express how they are feeling. My embarrassment is how naïve I was before I read Deadweight. An excellent read, thank you.