Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 October 2012
Well, if you like something funny to read, that will make you laugh out loud, and get you turning the pages quick smart, then this is the book for you. It's fast paced, witty, and full of handy tips on how to date, and how to find your Mother a date! It's a brilliant first novel, and I am looking forward to reading more from this author in the future. Highly recommended for an 'anytime of the day or night' read. :)
on 11 August 2013
I bought this book based solely on the title without really knowing its significance. I just liked the sound of the word! Mackenzie starts dating men to see if they are suitable suitors for her mother, who is driving her nuts, as she keeps meddling in her life. The novel is fun, will make you laugh and glad you're in a relationship (if you are) and that your parents are still together (if they are!) It will also make you glad your mum doesn't live in the same town(if she doesn't!) A range of dates, occasionally nice, mainly downright awful, unfold and provide lots of laughs. If I had one criticism to make it would be that some of the dialogue on these dates was simply too far-fetched. Men looking for a date may not be particularly self-aware on many occasions, but they'd have had to be bonkers to come out with some of these one-liners. The parallel with Mackenzie looking for dates for her mother and questioning her own relationship with her live-in boyfriend is also quite intriguing and has an unexpected outcome. I found the dates themselves diverse and funny, but would have liked to have seen them gone into in more detail. If I had one other reason why I rated this 4 and not 5 star, it's because I thought it was a little too long, without exploring the secondary characters in a deeper fashion. I did, however, like Jeff a lot! The business idea and the outcome of that was also a nice little bonus. All in all, a great read, which will have you smiling a lot.
on 27 March 2013
This book is a really funny story about Mac that needs her Mum to date so she will keep out of Macs life.
Mum invades the privacy with a critical eye and a horrible little dog.

So Mac sets up blind dates for her Mum, thinking that if she gets a man in her life, she will not have the time to bother Mac all the time.

The thing is, that Mac takes the first date with the men, to see if they are ok for Mum to date;)
And she does it at her boyfriends restaurant..

If you like the books about "Bridget Jones and her diary" and "The Shopaholic Rebecca Bloomwood" you will love this one too....
Jaimie Admans writing is funny and heartwarming and it leave you wanting more.
on 20 August 2013
This is a very nice tale of a daughter trying to find a man for her divorced overbearing mother. Mackenzie has moved into a house with her boyfriend, just down the road from her mum, but her mum keeps calling round because she is lonely and also her mother doesn't like Mac's boyfriend. Mac decides to interview blind dates for her, in the hope she gets her off her back.

This was a nice twist on the "find a man" genre. Mum was very fussy with her dates and Mac had to sit through some dire ones.

I enjoyed this light hearted comedy. It was a nice read (can you tell I thought it as nice lol)
on 30 April 2013
Ordinarily I can take or leave chick lit, unless I've already read something by the author that I particularly liked. The difference here is that the premise of the book caught my eye, and really made me want to read it as it's such a different idea. The idea of the main character, Mackenzie, trying to find a man for her mother is something I've never heard of before, and I really enjoyed it.

Mackenzie takes it one step further and vets each prospective date for her mother, before setting them up--at least that way she knows she isn't sending her mum on a date with anyone unsuitable. She looks for dates for her mother in all sorts of ways. She also meets all kinds of men, as you might expect, some of which would have been better off just crawling back under their rock!

I love the way the author writes, and it made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion. I think Jaimie could write an instruction leaflet for flat pack furniture and make it entertaining! The dialogue between the characters is great and often very witty, and Mackenzie's asides to the reader are hilarious.

I have to admit that at times I wondered why Mackenzie was bothering helping her mother, who seemed determined to be irritating the whole time. I'm so glad my mum isn't like Eleanor! But even though she had a funny way of showing it, Mac knew her mum meant well, and in the end she redeemed herself.

All in all, this book is a very entertaining read and one that I'd definitely recommend.
This enjoyable contemporary novel deals with matters of the heart in an entertaining and humourous way. Mackenzie Atkinson moved three doors down the road from her mother Eleanor's house to live with her partner Dan. As she might perhaps have suspected, this has resulted in her mother being a regular visitor to her home, made a problem by the fact that her mother doesn't hesitate to interfere in all aspects of Mackenzie's life, in particular her love life, and often comments, usually unfavourably, about Dan, even if he is in the same room! Mackenzie decides that what would help an awful lot is if her mother were less lonely and had her own romantic interest, and she sets out to help her find a perfect match.

The twist comes in that, rather than send her mother out into the world on blind dates with complete strangers, Mackenzie decides that she will do the advertising and sourcing of potential suitors and that she will even meet any prospective partners before her mother does and vet them first, only lining up dates with her mother if the men are up to scratch. Cue many episodes of Mackenzie meeting often very unsuitable and sometimes downright awful candidates! Finding a balanced, mature gentleman proves much more difficult than first anticipated. The story kept me engaged as I wondered who, if anyone, Mackenzie's mother would like, and whether Mackenzie's own love life would survive the whole experience intact too.

I really enjoyed this romantic, funny novel, and the storytelling and the editing impressed me. Mackenzie has a likeable personality and is an engaging lead character who carries the story throughout. Her reactions to the various different men she meets on the dates are brilliant. As well as trying to help her mother, Mackenzie begins to consider her own situation and wonders if she could improve it, in particular in terms of work but also love. Eleanor is an interesting character, usually accompanied by pampered pooch Baby. Despite the antagonism between mother and daughter at times, it comes across that Mackenzie genuinely cares about her mother and wants to see her happy. The only small thing I would mention is that sometimes the thing that Mackenzie had made her mind up to do was repeated several times in her thoughts; I think this was just to reiterate her determination to do what she had planned, but occasionally I thought the idea had been described and didn't need repeating again, or arguing about with Dan again.

I thought this was a light, entertaining and funny read and many will sympathise with Mackenzie's situation. I looked forward to reading a bit more every time I picked up my ereader and the story always kept me interested and often made me smile. Jaimie Admans writes really well and with heart about love, relationships and families and has crafted a promising debut novel. Also I think the book cover is really pretty and attractive.
on 13 January 2013
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Jaimie Admans!)
29-year-old Mackenzie is sick of her mother interfering in her life. Mac and her boyfriend Dan recently moved in together, but her mother even interfered in that - finding them a house to rent only 3 doors down the road from her.

Moving out hasn't stopped Mac's mum though, now she pops round every night and puts on her soaps, and Mac and Dan get no time alone together in peace.

But then Mac comes up with an idea - maybe if she found a man for her mum, then her mum would leave Mac and Dan alone. Now Mackenzie just has to find the perfect man for her mum.

Deciding the best thing to do is vet these men before letting her mother meet them, Mackenzie goes on bad date after bad date, and being propositioned by 50 year old guys is not exactly her most favourite thing to do.
Can Mackenzie really find the perfect man for her fussy mother though? How many dates will she have to go on with lousy men? And is matchmaking something that Mackenzie was born to do?

This book was just funny! I mean laugh your face off funny! By about 15% of the way in I was crying with laughter - talk about comic relief!
I'd describe this book as a chick-lit, with a healthy dose of comedy, so if you're feeling a bit miserable (after reading all those sad books), then read this - it will definitely cheer you up!

Mackenzie is a great lead character. She tries so hard to find her mother someone to love, as well as trying to distract her mother so that she can have some quiet nights in with her boyfriend - even if he doesn't really appreciate the lengths she is going to for him.

The men that Mackenzie `dates' while trying to find someone for her mother are a right mixture, and they're not obviously hideous at first, so when they then do something weird, it is sort-of unexpected. While some of the men's faults are maybe a tad cliché, it doesn't actually feel that way at all as you read the story, purely because it is written so nicely, and Mackenzie is such a normal sort of girl.

I did laugh a lot at Mackenzie's failed adventures though, and it was nice that she tried to find men in several different ways so that the story felt that it was constantly going somewhere. The story also had a beginning, middle, and end which was nice, and although I did guess who her mother would end up with, there were plenty of twists and turns in the plot so that you were still kept guessing as to what would happen next.

Overall; I really enjoyed this book, and it had great comedy value, as well as being an awesome chick-lit read. If you're looking for a pick-me-up or just a great chick-lit story - grab a copy of this! You won't regret it!
8 out of 10.
Jaimie Admans brings us a great debut novel that will have you laughing out loud from the start.

Mackenzie is fed up of her mother meddling in her life, so decides its time to get her own back.
With her mother being single and having too much time on her hands, Mackenzie decides to set her up on some dates, surely its a win, win; a happy mother with no time to meddle!

And after all how hard can it be to find a nice mature man to date her mother?

Mackenzie is a wonderfully strong character, it takes some confidence to meet loads of different men and let's admit it some of them are quite perverted.
The main thing that I loved about Mackenzie though is that throughout the book we see her start to follow her dreams and change her ambitions.

If I could've changed one thing for Mackenzie I would've changed Dan, he came across as a nice guy but there was an overpowering nature about him and the character just didn't sit right with me.

At times Mackenzie's mother irritated me, but she's makes for some of the funniest scenes of the book and her relationship with her dog is comedy gold.

I loved this book, the synopsis was promising, the title catching and the whole thing didn't disappoint.

Dealing with love and family issues, Kismetology really is a feel good read and singletons like myself may even pick up a few dating tips.

I can't wait to see what Jaimie Admans has in store for us next, Jaimie is definitely an author to watch!
on 4 June 2013
It was the cover of this book that made me want to read it - it's attractive and understated. The premise also sounded good - a daughter doing her utmost to matchmake her somewhat demanding mother and failing (or so she thinks) dismally! The lead character, Mackenzie is also having boyfriend problems of her own. Dan is not as supportive as he could be, what's more, he dislikes Mac's mother intensely - tricky when she only lives a few doors up! A good, light-hearted read, the words flowed effortlessly. There's plenty of laughs too - some of the men Mac has to 'interview' (sourced from a variety of places, not least personal ads in the local newspaper) are truly horrendous, making for some very comic moments throughout. This is a debut novel, very well-written with good insight into a variety of characters - you can tell the author had fun dredging up the worst case scenarios. I have to say, the mother drove me mad too so I was able to identify complelety with Mac and how keen she was, in the nicest possible of ways, to offload her. Am looking forward to more from this talented author.
on 27 May 2013

The story follows Mackenzie Atkinson in her quest to find her mother a man. Yes, she wants her mother to be happy, but she also wants her out from under her feet and meddling in her own love life. Mothers ay?
Mackenzie decides dating the potential candidates herself first will be the perfect way to find her mother the best match. After numerous disaster dates, she finds herself thinking that maybe there is a business idea in what she is doing and if she can pull off one perfect match with her mother being the client from hell then she could be a very successful matchmaker.

As much as this book is extremely witty and the dates had me giggling. I found it very one dimensional, therefore making it very repetitive and drag.
The plot is original and the characters unique. The sub plot with Mackenzie and her partner Dan could have had a lot more in it too, this would have boosted the book up and gave it a lot more depth.

It's witty, original and an overall good debut novel.
Give it a try, see what you think.

3.5/5