‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant funny Christmassy read, 25 Dec. 2013
This review is from: North Pole Reform School: (A Christmas YA Romantic Comedy) (Paperback)
Oh I loved this. Jaimie creates absolutely brilliant characters that are real and incredibly likeable. Although the two main characters, Mistletoe and Luke, are at the North Pole Reform School for ruining Christmas,you still really love them from the very first page. I loved the elves with their inane, unfailing enthusiasm and cheerfulness and I even loved bad Santa who is a miserable grump at times and just plain evil at others. The humour in this is brilliant and I laughed out loud on many occasions. The depiction of the North Pole is sweet but with some great twists. I loved the sweet friendship that develops between Luke and Mistletoe, theyre so great together. And i love that amongst the christmas decorations, carols and candy canes is the real threat of zombies too. This book ticks all the boxes for me. For a sweet, hilarious, well written Christmassy story, you have to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Christmas Treat!, 12 Dec. 2013
I always love it when a new book by Jaimie Admans is released. She is one of those authors that you just know will give you a fun story to escape into for a few hours, without the worry that the storytelling will not be up to scratch. `North Pole Reform School' was yet another one of her great laugh out loud stories with a spunky heroine, some hilarious secondary characters, and as always exemplary storytelling that just bring the story to life.

Mistletoe Bell's hate for Christmas is warranted ( I mean parents naming their child is close to crossing the line to child abuse), so to follow her journey through the North Pole Reform School was great fun. The storyline was cleverly created as seeing the reason that the five Reform Pupils ruined Christmas for others makes you think more clearly about the two sides of Christmas. Some people love it, some people hate it.

I for one do like Christmas, but my Christmas spirit usually extends from Christmas Eve to Boxing Day so to my surprise I found myself siding with the Reformers on their stance of Christmas. Jaimie Admans is very clever in the way she portrays conflict for teenage characters as whenever I read her books I am immediately transported back to my own teenage years where I remember thinking how unfair teachers were when they wouldn't listen to my side of the story. This is real teenage conflict, and I love how Jaimie always creates this so realistically in her books, especially in North Pole Reform School. Seeing the Elves treat the reformers as though they are completely to blame for ruining somebody else's Christmas made me well up with adolescent feelings of unfairness, and really helped me connect to the characters in a way that I have found more difficult in stories where the teenage protagonists act years above their age.

I loved the atmosphere that Jaimie Admans created in this book. It was a unique view of the North Pole, and with the added threat of North Pole Zombies (To avoid spoiling I will just say `HILARIOUS'), the North Pole became a more fantastical place and further away from the characters normal world, almost as though they were on a different planet.

I laughed out loud so many times whilst reading this book and cringed with the characters as they were forced to endure the most festive of chores in order to be allowed to return home. The idea of having to eat Mince Pies and Candy Canes for every meal had me wrinkling my nose and craving a salad. Me craving Salad never happens, so this just does the author further credit for using her brilliant wit and storytelling in a way that had me craving healthy food!)

Saving Christmas was the main storyline that evolved in `North Pole Reform School' and it was great to see Mistletoe and Luke work together to save a celebration that they have always disliked. I really adored Luke as a character and loved how he was realistically portrayed as a teenage boy. He was annoyed at the world, felt good after doing something bad, but had a bigger heart than we as readers and the elves ever knew, in his deepest desire to keep his younger sister safe.

Overall this was a fantastic festive read which I would recommend to all. With Jaimie Admans wit and storytelling, this is one that will have you howling with laughter, groaning at the injustice of being forced to be cheerful at Christmas, and sitting on the edge of your seats in suspense to find out whether Christmas will be saved.

5 Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaimie does it again!, 11 Jan. 2014
aimie Admans does it again!

With this thoroughly festive and gripping read, your imagination will be pulled into the festivities.
A read for any age, 'North Pole Reform School' was read by both me and mum and we both finished reading it, with the same opinion.
It's got to be 5/5

'North Pole Reform School' tells the story of Mistletoe Bell (love that name) who is taken to the North Pole Reform School by the ghost of Christmases ruined.
At the reform school, Mistletoe meets Luke and 3 others and as they work with the elves, they are taught to look for the fun in Christmas and add the magic back into what should be a wondrous time!

Even though Mistletoe and Luke are mischievous, my mum liked them instantly.
It took me a bit longer with Luke, I'm fickle and was won over by Mistletoe's name, I had high hopes for someone with a Christmas themed name!

It was wonderful reading how their friendship formed and following them on their quest.

As with all of Jaimie's books, you are able to feel the turmoil that the characters are going through.
Not everyone loves Christmas and I did feel for those at the reform school, to be blamed for ruining Christmas, is a lot of pressure.

It was great how Jaimie turned the Christmas characters around, with grumpy elves and bad Santa, you found yourself laughing out loud and lost in a world that was very surreal.
Escape into the festivities and; lose yourself in the North Pole Reform School!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, festive fun, 16 Dec. 2013
Another brilliantly unique story by Jaimie. Who've thought you would get Santa Claus and Zombies together in the same story?!

Mistletoe really hates Christmas as her birthday falls on Christmas Eve and her Dad is too busy out playing Santa Claus to other children in her area. She also hates her name, what kind of parents call their child Mistletoe?! So she prefers to be called Mis. One night she is woken up by a purple moose sitting in the middle of her bed, telling her he is the Ghost of Christmases ruined come to take her to the North Pole Reform School. Here she meets the elves of the North Pole that want her to mend her ways and make her love Christmas again and the other people they have brought there to also make them hate Christmas less. Things aren't quite what they seem at the North Pole, with a horrible Santa Claus who seems more interested in his title than the spirit of Christmas and Mis may end to leaning more than just now to like Christmas!

As soon as I read about the purple moose turning up in Mistletoe's bedroom I knew I was going to like this! And it had extra zombies thrown in, but instead of this being a very strange addition to this festive story, it actually worked and we find they had a brilliant purpose towards the end.

I really liked Mis in this. She starts of a surly teenager just like the boy Luke that she meets, but slowly as she goes into each class that the elves make her do, we see her character change. Luke is also really likeable and you see why he and Mis hit it off so quickly. Their romance development is so lovely to read, but not in a soppy way.

There were also some really laugh-out-loud hilarious moments in this. Not great when your on a public train trying your hardest not to guffaw! This is the second novel I have read of Jaimie's and she has so far not failed to make me laugh. I love how Jaimie and throw in a bit of crazy in this, but still make it work.

The magic and real meaning of Christmas really shown through in this and it left me feeling really festive and feel good. A definite recommended read for Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Dec. 2014
I absolutely loved this book, Jaimie Admans is a very talented author. I first met Jaime when I was involved in a book tour for Not Pretty Enough and I really felt like I connected with the book, so I went online and bought all the other books I could get my hands on.

Opening this book I did not know what to think. Jaimie generally writes for Young Adults but this seemed a little younger, reading further I realised that this was simply the surrealist opening and it is in fact NOT a book for young children. Unless you want them to learn additions to their vocabulary! I loved this book and I'm 24 so it's suitable for a range of ages, I'd say 15-16 at the youngest.

The story centres around a group of five people who hate christmas and are responsible in some way for ruining it for someone else. They've been sent to the North Pole Reform School to learn the meaning of Christmas. (Don't worry I haven't told you anything you won't find in the title or on the back!) and two of the characters; Mistletoe and Luke are the main focus. It's a heartwarming story and it nearly made me cry at a couple of points, this is not easily done!

I would definitely recommend this book for your Christmas read as it really is an experience. It's very well written and well thought out along with a lot of humour and some heartbreaking moments. Jaimie Admans really has hit the nail on the head with this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful amazing story, 22 Dec. 2013
This is just the most fun and wonderful Christmas story.

5 people are sent to the North Pole to find their love for Christmas again.

Mistletoe - our heroine, Luke - the sweet boy with the cute ears, Hugo - the little boy that thinks he is dead, Joe - a cranky middle-aged guy that hates people and Emily - a woman with an interesting fright of ducks;)

The happy elf's with names like Eggnog, Tinsel, Navidad, and Peppermint, that sings/slaughters Christmas Carols, live on candy canes and mince pies and make toys all year are amazing, they made me laugh so hard, that people started starring at me on the bus.

Santa Claus turns out to be not so jolly as we get to know him, but you can't get a happy one every time, can you?
Mix in the zombies that love Christmas songs, the endearing baby reindeers at their first flying lesson, the true meaning of Christmas and family values, and Misty and Luke's sweet romance.
Then you have a fun, heart-warming (and a little -breaking), lovable Christmas story that went on my list of Christmas books that I will read every year, from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every cloud has a marzipan lining, 4 Dec. 2013
I utterly enjoyed it! A quirky funny story with heartwarming and some thought-provoking scenes added in, and even the zombies make sense. Yes, they do! I especially loved Tinsel and Navi with their confused mix up use of idioms and proverbs. "every cloud has a marzipan lining" is now added to my vocabulary. So, if you want to read a christmas-y story with some unexpected ingredients, this is definitely one for you!
Oh, and Ms. Admans, I wouldn't mind a companion story from Joe's POV for Christmas 2014... :-)))

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect holiday read, 13 July 2014
This book was just all kinds of cute. It was so sweet and so completely bonkers.
NPRS is told from the POV of Mistletoe Bell, as she and a group of Christmas haters are taken to the North Pole to learn about the spirit of Christmas, how important it is to others, and to learn that their actions can have serious consequences. I loved Misty. She has such a snarky attitude but she also has such a warm heart. While at the North Pole she is partnered with Luke, who I also loved. The banter between these two was brilliant and they had some really sweet moments together.

The book is so bonkers. Between a talking purple moose, the crazy elves, and fricking zombies, you will not be bored while reading. I loved every second of it. There are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments and some really heartwarming moments. But beneath all the fun there is a very touching message to be had.

This was just such a quick, cute and thoroughly enjoyable read. I was left with the biggest smile on my face. I was up til 3am reading it, I just couldn't put it down! I wish there was a follow on book. I really want to continue Misty and Luke's story. I highly recommend this book to everyone! Whether you love Christmas or not, you will after reading NPRS. It's the perfect holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombies and Music, not your average Christmas Story, 20 Mar. 2014
I started this book not really knowing what to expect especially with the title and the blurb about the book. I soon fell in love with the 2 main characters, Mistletoe (can understand her dislike of Christmas given her name) and Luke. They were visited by a purple moose (genius by the author) that tells them he is the ghost of christmas's ruined.

To start with this isn't just another version on a Christmas Carol. They are then transported in their sleep to the North Pole along with 3 others, Joe an alcoholic, Hugo who thinks he is dead and Emily who thinks ducks are watching her everywhere.

I like that although Santa does his job of sorts, he is the bad guy and the elves are really in charge of the North Pole.
The story keeps you interested from page 1. I also like how you can have zombies and a 'Snow Globe' in a Christmas story. I loved the book and will read more from Jaimie

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 11 Jan. 2014
Fun enjoyable read. Brought back so many memories of my childhood days and believing in Santa Claus. I would highly recommend this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

North Pole Reform School: (A Christmas YA Romantic Comedy)
North Pole Reform School: (A Christmas YA Romantic Comedy) by Jaimie Admans (Paperback - 17 Oct. 2013)