5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Not Pretty Enough (Kindle Edition)
I always love losing myself in a young adult story. Whilst I'd be horrified at the thought of ever having to go through that mortifying and confidence shattering time in my life, reading of the woes of a teenager at that age is one of my guilty pleasures and I adored `Not Pretty Enough' for its realistic yet hilarious storyline.

As I started reading `Not Pretty Enough' it wasn't long before I was sighing with relief and thinking `Finally! A young adult book that is actually relatable to young adults!' The daily trials that young Chessie's faces in her quest to get the attention (and affection) of popular and dishy Lloyd, were a wonderful mix of humour and that second hand sympathy and embarassment you feel for Chessie that I think many readers will remember feeling all too often when they watched their own friends attempts at guy-catching in their teen years. This is something that always love in Jaimie Admans books. Because we join the characters through their journey, and see first hand the flaws they have we then suffer along with them when consequences of their actions hit. I love how there is no false description is made of heroine Chessie and how well her thoughts and actions were so true to that of a teenage girl.

When I was a teenager I remember finding it hard to relate to some of the characters in young adult fiction as the thought processes and actions of the characters were so mature and grown up. Chessie was a wonderful example of a real, teenage girl, flaws and all. Not every teenage crush gets a happy, fairytale ending, and this book was perfect in how it portrayed this chapter of Chessie's life.

`Not Pretty Enough' also raised some important issues that I think are hugley important for teenagers to remember in today's society. The seriousness of issues like child abuse and how unfounded accusations can be dangerous not only to the child but also to a parent, was very well portrayed, and I admire the way that Jaimie Admans was able to put this issue across without detracting from the main storyline.

A brilliant book that had me laughing out loud and reminiscing of my own school years. A realistic portrayal of a teenagers daily troubles that will be a perfect read for young adults!

5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars I <3 Chessie!, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Not Pretty Enough (Kindle Edition)
When I was given the opportunity to review this book, I was beyond excited! I think Jaimie Admans is one to watch in the YA genre. This book was so well written. It made me think back to myself aged 14 and cringe. It was like I was there again, feeling awkward, loving a boy who'd never love me back, trying everything in my power to make myself into someone I wasn't.

Chessie is such a wonderful character. She's sweet, loyal, funny and so adorably awkward. I loved her, I really did! I liked her best friends Debs and Ewan as well. They're the kind of friends every girl needs in her life. They kept her grounded, tried to talk her out of doing stupid things and tried to help her maintain some dignity when things went wrong (which for poor Chessie, they usually did).

There was one bit, at an amusement park that made me laugh so hard I was actually attracting funny looks in Costa! Jaimie is a genius with comic scenes. There were several times I laughed out loud. But Not Pretty Enough isn't all comedy. There are some really tender, touching parts too. I really felt for Chessie when things didn't work out the way she wanted them to. She's vulnerable, insecure and fragile despite being quite ballsy. I cried for her. Jaimie made me care.

This is my favorite of all of Jaimie's books so far and I'm really happy I got to read it and share it with you. I'm really looking forward to Book 2 next year!

A very enthusiastic 5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun teen read!, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Not Pretty Enough (Kindle Edition)
Not Pretty Enough is a laugh-out-loud romantic comedy which is perfect for tweens and teens. We follow fourteen-year-old Chessie as she attempts to win the attention – and heart – of Lloyd Layton. Unfortunately, things don’t always go as planned. From a hair-dying experiment that ends in disaster to an accident with a javelin, Chessie’s increasingly desperate attempts to impress her seven-foot-tall classmate always seem to fail spectacularly. Teens will relate to Chessie’s woes and and cringe as she makes some bad choices and gets herself into sticky situations in this light-hearted, very funny contemporary book.

The characters are all realistic teenagers with the concerns of their age group. Chessie’s narrative voice is great, packed with humour (some unintentional on her part!) and life. Witty and entertaining, this is a great teen contemporary novel which takes us right into the world of young teens and delivers plenty of laughs along the way!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Funny, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Not Pretty Enough (Kindle Edition)
Not Pretty Enough is a young adult comedy/romance. I'm far from a young adult but that didn't stop me from enjoying this novel.

Francesca (or Chessie, as she is better known) is fourteen years old. She goes to school, she has exceptionally large boobs, she is the clumsiest girl I've come across since my young self and she's in love with Lloyd Layton. Or, at least she is as in love with Lloyd Layton as a fourteen year old girl who has barely said two words to Lloyd Layton can be.

We follow a year of Chessie's life as she slowly strives to make Lloyd notice her, but often for the wrong reasons. Chessie is particularly accident prone, especially when distracted by the six foot teenage hunk that is Lloyd Layton and tends to find herself in sticky situations when he is around. She offers herself to tasks she would otherwise avoid, such as volunteering for sports events in an attempt to impress the boy of her dreams. Some of the events are a little far-fetched but this book is not one to take itself too seriously and the majority of unfortunate events make for a very funny read.

Amongst all the humour (and trust me, I got many a strange look giggling away to this book on the bus to work!), Not Pretty Enough is also scattered with a few more serious topics, such as domestic abuse and self esteem issues. It is a Great, British coming of age story. We see Welsh Chessie grow up over the course of the 12 months, learning right from wrong and discovering what she really wants. Will Lloyd Layton still be the apple of her eye as she edges towards 15? That remains to be seen, but you'll have a good laugh whilst you wait to find out.

Whilst no doubt more fitting to a teen audience, I enjoyed reading Not Pretty Enough as a thirty-something. Set in Britain, it paid homage to several typically British school customs and brought back a flood of memories from my own school days. I do like to reminisce!

My Rating 4/5 - Short and sweet, Not Pretty Enough is a funny, quick and quirky read. Laugh out loud funny, although sometimes a little over the top, this would make a great book for both teenage girls as well as Women looking to take a trip down memory lane to their own teenage years. A great look into life as a British teenager with boys on the brain - this novel is awkward and clumsy but so very sweet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Not Pretty Enough (Kindle Edition)
Not Pretty Enough is one of those books that most girls will be able to relate to. It's based around the main character, Chessie, and her mission to get the boy of her dreams, Lloyd Layton.

In trying to snag her man, Chessie goes too far on a number of occasions and her logic may be a little off! I nearly spat coffee all over my Kindle a few times reading this book, the logic of a young girl with a crush was spot on, the events were hilarious and it's perfectly paced throughout. I could not put this book down, I sat up late and I nearly missed my stop on the bus. Has anyone ever noticed how the book is always most exciting at the point when you need to put it down?

This book puts me in mind of the books I grew up with, the Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging series is similar in that it's a teenage girl with a love interest. I personally loved those books growing up but Jaimie Admans has managed to take all of the things I liked about those books and roll it into a book I can love now! I have to wonder how much of this is fiction and how much is from personal experience because I can really imagine some of these things happening!

This is a fantastic book and one that I would completely recommend and within the hilarity of the story there is an important message, and one that we should all take to heart.

After reading Not Pretty Enough I went snooping and bought Jaimie's other books; Kismetology, Creepy Christmas and Afterlife Academy. I hope it inspires you to do the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously funny!, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Not Pretty Enough (Kindle Edition)
What a brilliant writer Jaimie is! Not Pretty Enough is about a 14 year old girl called Chessie (great nickname) who really really likes a boy in her year called Lloyd Layton. The problem is he doesn't seem to like her back and Chessie does all sorts of really crazy things to make him like her! And when I say crazy, I mean seriously cringeworthy, extremely awkward, laugh-out-loud things.

I really liked Chessie, she reminded me of me at school. I will thankfully say I was not quite as extreme as Chessie, but I was always getting into embarrassing situations that still make me cringe today! When I say Chessie will do anything to get Lloyd to like her, she really will do anything. There were some serious laugh-out-loud, hysterical moments for me in this and as I do a lot of reading on my commute, I did get some quite funny looks when I couldn't contain my laughter! I've got to hand it to Chessie, there were a lot of things she did that I would not have had the confidence to do at that age. She seems to take things in her stride when they don't quite go according to plan.

Throughout this, I was really hoping that Chessie would see sense and realise that Lloyd Layton was not worth her time of day. He's a complete idiot and does not deserve Chessie's attentions. I did get a little frustrated with her at times, because she didn't seem to be learning from her mistakes and I did think, how many crazy situations can one person get themselves into. However I'm sure a lot of 14 year olds will be able to relate to Chessie and I absolutely loved the ending. It came as a little surprise, but I think it's a great message for young girls to take away with them.

This was a great young adult read that I read really quickly. It will definitely have you laughing out loud and I'm already looking forward to Book Two. Well done Jaimie!

5.0 out of 5 stars A witty read!, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Not Pretty Enough (Kindle Edition)
As with all the books I've read by Jaimie Admans, I was gripped from the first page,

There is something extremely unique and refreshing about Chessie and that's the fact that everyone will empathise with her.
We have all been in that situation where we long to have someone notice us, to feel for us in the same way, we do for them.
I liked Chessie instantly, she goes through so much at such a young age.
But don't pity her, this girl is feisty and determined.

It's a witty, heart warming read that delivers a great message to the reader.

The story left me stunned when it ended, I wanted more, I needed more!
Which means I'm eagerly awaiting the second book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My kind of humour!, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Not Pretty Enough (Kindle Edition)
From the very first page, I knew I was going to enjoy this book and it made a pleasant change from everything long and complicated I've been reading lately. I signed up for the blog tour of this book, run by Dianne ( [...] ) and Jaimie Admans herself and got sent a free copy to read and review. I'm so glad I did because not only is this my first blog tour, it is the first of Jaimie's book's I've read it's definitely encouraged me to read more! This is a relatively short and straight-forward story about a teenage girl called Chessie who is in love with a boy in her school called Lloyd. However, Lloyd doesn't seem to know she exists. The story takes you through the journey of Chessie's school year and her unique attempts to get Lloyd to notice her but with Chessie's bad luck, none of them seem to go as planned.

This book reminded me a lot of Angus, Thongs and Full-frontal snogging as it was the same sort of idea and it was so easy to read, I finished it in a day and a half! I loved that it was in first person from Chessie's point of view because it helped me imagine her and her world very easily and you begin to feel like a part of it. So much so that at times when something embarrassing was about to happen to her, I felt my heart racing because I knew what was coming! I'm sure just as Chessie would have felt in the book. Jaimie puts into words what every teenage girl thinks and feels at some point during their adolescent years. Not only Chessie, I think all the characters are very relatable and recognisable and the way everyone talks to each other is very believable. When you're 14 and at school, you're bound to know people similar to the different characters in the book, for example, the class bully and a group of boys mad about cars and football. But I think the thing that made this such an enjoyable read for me is that it was so funny and definitely my kind of humour. It's all very well having a book about a girl who likes a boy but when all the girl does is mope around it's no fun! Chessie actually goes well out of her way to make this boy notice her and ends up in some hilarious situations, some of which genuinely made me cringe out loud!

If you're not into anything long, hard-going and complicated and fancy a few laughs this is definitely the book for you! It's hilarious, cringe-worthy, ridiculous and emotional with a very un-expected ending. I think Jaimie teaches you some important life lessons along the way too like lying will never get you what you want, some people aren't what they seem and never forget the importance of friendship. It will definitely take you back to all those awkward moments when you were 14 and trying to impress a boy however, if you were as unlucky as Chessie was, I feel sorry for you! The sequel is coming out in 2014 and I for one cannot wait! 5 out of 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Pretty Enough, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Not Pretty Enough (Kindle Edition)
In Not Pretty Enough we meet 14-year-old Chessie. She has a huge crush on Lloyd Layton, one of the popular boys in school, and she is determined to get him to notice her. She sets out to do this in any way possible, and no stunt seems too ridiculous or over-the-top. Chessie is obsessive, impulsive, and nave, but ultimately her heart is in the right place.

The plot of this book is something that I think a lot of girls might have been through and can likely relate to. Perhaps we weren't as crazy as Chessie, but we will definitely have been desperate for someone to notice us at one time or another! I felt for Chessie as she went from one misguided stunt to the next, all the while thinking that Lloyd was the best thing ever.

Not Pretty Enough is funny like I have come to expect Jaimie Admans' books to be, and it's also quite different. At times I cringed, and sometimes my adult self wondered what on earth Chessie was trying to achieve--but then I remembered that she is a 14-year-old girl and doing what seems sensible in her eyes!

I love the way this book ends. It wasn't necessarily what I expected, but it was lovely and a bit of a relief too! I'm looking forward to the next book, which will be out in 2014. I can't imagine what Chessie will get up to next, but I hope she has an easier ride than in this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Funny Story!, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Not Pretty Enough (Kindle Edition)
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis as part of the `Not Pretty Enough' Blog Tour. Thanks to Jaimie Admans, and Oops I Read A Book Again.)
14-year-old Francesca (Chessy) has DD cup boobs, isn't good at sports, and wants her crush Lloyd to finally notice her.
Unfortunately though, it seems that all her attempts to get him to realise she exists have all ended with her being horribly embarrassed.
Will Lloyd ever notice her? Will Chessy's hair ever be the same again? And will Chessy ever recover from the embarrassment?

This was a humorous story about a teenage girl with big boobs, and the awful things that happened to her as she tried to get her crush to notice her.

Chessy was a normal if slightly nave 14-year-old, who just couldn't help but end up in embarrassing situations. I laughed and cringed at the things she got up to, and couldn't help but feel sorry for her. Yikes! If some of those things had happened to me I think I'd still be in hiding now! Somehow Chessy managed to muddle through though, and ultimately I think she learned from these encounters.

The storyline in this book was pretty typical teenage stuff - school and boys, but it was the embarrassing events that really made this special. Some of the things that went wrong for Chessy were deceptively simply to set-up, but cringingly embarrassing and funny, which was the real charm of the story. I did have to cover my eyes at times at the things she did, but thankfully it all worked out okay in the end!
Overall; a funny story about a teen trying to get her crush to notice her.
6.75 out of 10.

Not Pretty Enough
Not Pretty Enough by Jaimie Admans (Paperback - 1 Aug 2013)
5.99