5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good read I want more.
Published 10 months ago by Vallianne Bruce

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad - but not great either
I haven't actually finished this book yet, as I had to stop because I just wasn't that invested in the characters and I was half way through the book. However I don't actually blame the author - this book is well written - I have been reading another author for several weeks and the change in writing style is quite marked - hence I have put it to one side until some time...
Published 2 months ago by Mrs. J. Sandland

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good read I want more., 17 Nov 2013
I sleep badly and have so many books on my kindle to choose from but saw this and it sounded okay. It was more than okay it was brilliant. Read it from cover to cover -as you can on a Kindle - and was so sorry to get to the end. I sympathised, wept, laughed (there were some frustratingly funny moments,) cried, shouted, got angry and all at the poor guy in the book. My husband was not amused as I woke him more than once shouting or giggling. Have just seen that the 2nd part is due in December. Whoopee. Was never into "zombies" but this is so much more. It is how someone would feel, left completely alone, in an upstairs flat and no one to care, incapacitated, no food, water, heat etc with the zombies thrown in for good measure. Brilliant book.Just could not put it down.Really cannot fault it at all. I read all types of books, from Stephen King, to Bernard Cornwell but this book made my week.Fabulous. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, 10 Dec 2013
I love apocalyptic fiction and zombies, but there is a ton of very poor apocalyptic fiction out there at the moment and a large proportion of the rubbish is about zombies.

Finally we have an author that writes a more 'realistic' zombie epidemic story that deals with the real questions for survival, not how to kill them faster or where to find more ammo, but the mundane things that keeps us alive.

The main character spends most of his time trying to hide from the zombies, trying to figure out how they can detect him and where he can find food and water to keep himself alive at the same time. There is no convenient warehouse full of food or a retired marksman with an array of guns at his disposal, just a guy stuck and trying to survive day by day.

I'm sure I enjoyed the book more as it is set in London and no gung ho style of action is present. You can relate to the daily terror of the main character, especially when he is forced to confront the zombies and how he reacts. The struggle for his daily survival is the main focus and is well written.

This is a breath of fresh air to the zombie genre and I'm looking forward to the next book in what I hope will be a concise series.

4.0 out of 5 stars very readable, 12 Jan 2014
I enjoyed reading this zombie novel, it had more to do with survival than with how each zombie was killed. If you like the gruesome sort of zombie book you probably wont like this but if you enjoy those that emphasize the impact on the individual then you will like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely the zombie survival story I've ever read!, 11 Jan 2014
A different take on the now all to familiar zombie survival story, you really believe what is happening, it has none of the usual "and then I found a chainsaw and an m16!". But is made to feel like a believable (as far as zombie fiction goes) story of fear and isolation in an apocalyptic Britain, a real breath of fresh air, I genuinely didn't want it to end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Read, 31 July 2014
Coincidence Vs Fate - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Surviving the Evacuation is a post apocalyptic zombie novel. But...and it's a big but....it's is NOT like all those others you've no doubt downloaded on your Kindle. You know, the by-the-numbers gore-fest types? Page after page of blood, gore, violence...you get my drift.

I'm in my late forties now and one of my favourite shows when I was a kid was Survivors. I loved the idea of a world with hardly anyone in it and the challenges of living rather than just surviving. Ever since, I've had a soft spot for any kind of fiction/film/tv programme set in a post-apocalyptic world. It just so happens that Zombies are de rigueur at the moment. Thanks to World War Z, Walking Dead, etc I guess.

Surviving the Evacuation is different from the mountain (or virtual mountain) of other Zombie fiction. The angle it takes sets it apart from those other novels. Bill, our hero, writes a daily journal about long days stuck in his flat while the world outside his window goes to wrack and ruin. He broken his leg just before the outbreak and is recuperating. He's counting down the days until the cast comes off his leg. The only problem is his food and water supplies will have diminished by then, so he has to go outside. There's no gore or violence or long passages describing such things. What you do get though is an interesting and insightful peek into the mind of someone who's an ordinary bloke. Just like me. His thoughts of the future and of the past. What he hopes for the future.

It's been ages - probably years - since I've read a book where I couldn't put it down and Surviving the Evacuation an absolute cracker of a novel.

I can't wait to read the second in the trilogy which I've just purchased but looking at the clock there's 55 minutes until I finish work. Then I have to walk to my car...then I have to fight through the traffic to get home. Then I have to do family stuff....God, how will I get through the next few hours....

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cut Above The Rest, 30 Dec 2013
I'm a sucker for zombie books, films and games so picking this book was an easy decision for me.

When I started to read it I quickly became gripped by the book and really identified with the main character and his struggles. The story is well written (if you forgive a few typos) and left me wanting more.

As the title suggests I think this book is a cut above the rest of the genre and I was delighted to find out that the second in the series was released just before Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to this series, 20 July 2014
I bought this on a whim as Amazon kept recommending it to me and I am so glad I did, The tale of Bartholomew "Bill" Wright is a gripping read and as he is pretty much the only character in the book we get to know him very well.

Bill is/was a government adviser to his old friend Jen who has been appointed Minister for the Interior, during a visit to Whitehall, Bill is knocked over a banister on to a marble floor which results in him waking up several days later with a broken leg.

As he comes to, Jen is there by his bedside but she is the bearer of some terrifying news, America has been attacked, he sees footage, totally horrific footage of a mall in the States and people running and jumping for their lives, they are being hunted down by creatures and these creatures are zombies, there is no better word for it, they are the dead who have risen again with a taste for flesh.

The UK goes on lock down its borders are closed, the channel tunnel blown up and the government announces that the whole of the island is under quarantine, chaos in ensuing around the world. back in the comfort or discomfort as he has a broken leg of his flat, Bill watches with help from his informer Sholto, chaos and horror unfolding around the world, the inevitable happens of course and the UK succumbs to the infection and one by one people start dropping like flies and rising as the living dead.

Bill can only watch from his flat, he has been supplied with food and drink from Jen but he is well and truly stuck and to be honest to begin with he is better to be in his flat than outside with Them. One by one the utilities fail, electricity, gas and water, he has been given a mobile to contact Jen and she calls one day to say a car is coming to get him, that car is still outside with the driver lying dead beside it.

As the story unfolds Bill's cabin fever sets in, he counts down the days until he cast can come off and he has to ration his food and water. He starts fending off his fever by raiding the flats below but when his supplies are near spent he makes his escape narrowly avoiding the undead he starts making his way from safe haven to safe haven, happily looting along the way and getting better at despatching the zombies.

Apart from one survivor he came across who ran without taking Bill and his broken leg, Bill is by himself but he seems quite a lot of the time in good spirits and I think this is what makes this such a could story, yes there are moments of pure terror, panic and the fear of discovery is constantly on his mind but he also craves tea and creates a hybrid coffee and coke drink.

Surviving the Evacuation is a brilliant start to a series of books which follow Bill and his struggle to stay alive in a Britain changed for the worse, he discovers that there is more to the infection than he first thought and I think we are going to see some great revelations as this story progresses plus I hope he is not lonely for to long!

Awarded 5 out of 5

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book with a normal, scared guy instead of a gun happy hero., 18 Aug 2014
Using a very different style when writing a zombie book was enough to make me buy it and I'm glad I did. The general feeling of loneliness and isolation is at times unnerving. The fact that Bill, virtually the only human character throughout, has a broken leg and no special skills makes this even more interesting. Too many zombie books just go down the same route of having people like soldiers being the heroes of the hour. What about everyone else? Surely some normal, non-super-human people would manage to survive in the unlikey event of a zombie apocalypse.

Anyway, Bill is a pretty normal guy waiting for someone to come and help him, eventually deciding that he has no choice but to help himself. Struggling to find the basic needs such as food and drinkable water he sets out on a slow adventure through London. There are not buckets of blood to be found in this story but there are moments of excitement with occasional zombie encounters. The greatness of this book comes from the fact that Bill is completely alone, injured, scared, starving and desperate. Even though it's a zombie book the scenario made it seem a bit more realistic and I found myself wondering, "what would I do?". I will definitley read the further books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous, 21 Jun 2014
A tremendously scary tale of life alone in world without anything but zombies. Good (for me) that the gore was not gratuitous but more key to the story and the tale is more to do with the psychology of survival.
I like the journal style of writing and the first person account works very well.
One of the first zombie survival books I have read and I got this after extensive research and review reading. It is as good as others have said. Get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 7 Dec 2013
My first Zombie novel. I was not disappointed. Well written,a fantastic read.
The opening pages introduced you to the main character and as the story unfolded I was immediately
drawn to wanting to discover the effects of the challenges met by him. In some way I felt attached to the character so could not put the book down until finished. I cannot wait for the finale.

Surviving The Evacuation Book 1: London
Surviving The Evacuation Book 1: London by Frank Tayell (Paperback - 10 Oct 2013)
5.24