5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read
I thought this was an oddly British book. Some authors - Mark Billingham for one - write books with the same sort of atmosphere and by this I mean that there seems to be more of a sense of grittiness and slightly less gloss than, say, American authors - or perhaps that's just me.

Published 3 days ago by alan

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusual Read
An odd one: gripping enough to finish, but ... Oddly, there is a certain lack of place. I kept asking myself where the novel was set - when it became obvious it was England, I did not recognise my homeland! It's meant to unsettle, and the dislocated characters are all weighed down with their pasts - some of which is credible. So much anxiety and destruction...
Published 8 months ago by Boo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 13 Sep 2014
alan (Canvey Island, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

In any event, it's a very well-crafted book about a small group of disparate, extremely damaged characters who end up sharing an old house. They all have unknown and unguessed at connections which are gradually revealed as the narrative winds its way through a very, very dark back story in which nobody is who, or what, you think they are. Every time you think you've got a handle on the book it goes somewhere else.

As others have said, it's not easy to review without giving any of the plot away - but it is thoroughly recommended. One thing I would say is that this book is one of the few I've read that I'd wished I'd been reading in dead tree form - there were so many twists and turns that it would've been nice to be able to flick back to check stuff from time to time and that's not all that easy to do on a Kindle - so make sure you pay attention when you read it!

A very good book from a relatively unknown author who deserves to be up there with the big guys and I look forward to reading more of his stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars another gem., 30 Oct 2013
this author is fast becoming one of my favourites. having read his previous two books i was really looking forward to starting this one. i wasn't disappointed. it had me gripped from the beginning.four people share a house.or should i say five as the attic is occupied by a ghost. each of the characters all have their own stories and troubled past lives and are all linked to the house in some way. as the book developed i found myself avidly turning the pages to find out what happens to them. i loved the clever way that all the characters were connected without realising it. there is a very dark side to the background of the book, but it is dealt with brilliantly. if you have read any other books by Guy A Johnson, you will love this one. i spent many lunch breaks with one eye on the clock, desperate to finish a chapter before returning to work!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great page-turner from Guy Johnson!, 7 Nov 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this. I had read Guy Johnson's first two novels after downloading them for free during Amazon promotions. They were brilliant and left me wanting more so no way was I going to wait for a promotion for this one!

Like his other novels, there is a strong storyline and well defined and engaging characters. These characters and their personal stories are all linked together in one way or another but it is done effortlessly so nothing feels contrived. Johnson is especially good at dealing with difficult subjects and themes; this books has so many layers...it is a mystery novel with many twists and turns, but also covers such themes as loss, regret, desertion, sorrow...in fact the whole human condition. I highly recommend it (and am not going to give any of the plot away)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really loved this, 11 Mar 2014
Unusual, haunting sort of book. When you first start to read, you think "oh here we go again, I know this script" - but you don't. Nobody is quite what they seem, they all come together with links to the house, and then, as their stories unfold, the various twists and turns take you along.
In some ways it finished a bit too quickly, there were some lose ends that could have been tied up, but otherwise would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the old house, 5 Mar 2014
An intriguing well written story. A roller coaster ride of emotions which held my interest right to the end. I look forward to the next book from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 20 Feb 2014
I would strongly recommend this book to everyone! I found it extremely gripping, very clever .... Truly brilliant. I look forward to reading more from this author

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Old House, 6 Feb 2014
This is one of the most random books I have ever read in many ways , a real roller coaster and not one to be read when half asleep. You have to remain in tune throughout to keep abreast of the ever changing time frame within the book. That said, it was strangely absorbing and I found myself not wanting it to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 27 Jan 2014
K. Ramsay (UK) - See all my reviews
This is the third book I have read by this author and I'm amazed you can get such good quality reading either free to kindle or for such a small price. Therefore when I rate free/low price books by lesser known authors, I don't compare them like-to-like to the big names publushed by the big houses.

I've enjoyed all three books and this was gripping. The characters are all very different; some memorable and the book stays with you even after a few days. I couldn't wait to see what happened next. Full of intrigue and twists. Recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read - give Guy A Johnson a try, 8 Jan 2014
Mr. A. Hall "Al" (England) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this novel, right from the start. The author takes his time to flesh out his characters in full and this, coupled with the absorbing stroyline as well as the intricate connections between the characters, gave the book the kind of depth and complexity I enjoy. I'll definitely be giving White Goods a try next. If you haven't read any of Guy A Johnson's books yet, I urge you to give him a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic from start to finish, 4 Jan 2014
From the moment i started reading i was truly hooked. The imagery throughout is magnificent and the plot so cleverly thought through. I loved the detail and creativity of this wonderful story and recommend it with wholehearted confidence.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Back to the Old House
Back to the Old House by Guy A Johnson (Paperback - 29 Sep 2013)
8.75