Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 17 November 2013
A fascinating insight into a brilliant mind and a truly fascinating and gripping read. Wonderful. I have loved every moment of this story.
on 28 January 2016
Having studied this book at college, I wouldn't say its the greatest or most interesting book I've ever read. It was largely quite uninteresting, and in my opinion a waste of classroom time and resources. It seem this book was studied more due to old copies lying around, rather than being the best book suited for the purpose.

The book is well written, which isn't the main reason for it being uninteresting, but the story and the way it's told becomes a more useful tool for sending students to sleep, more so than any sleep hypnotic method I've seen. Unfortunately, A Levels aren't normally passed by sleeping, but through some effort, which in those days seemed like a lot of effort, especially when coupled with the highly uninteresting literature in use.

This is purely my opinion, and the opinion of many of my classmates, whom all had to suffer this book for their A levels.

Having purchased a digital copy many years later, I have been able to remind myself of how uninteresting some of these books can be. I read through a large part of it, then listened to my kindle read the remaining in its robotic voice. I'm glad to have had the chance to confirm again just how uninteresting I perceive this book to be, otherwise I'd have though it was purely due to the not so great teaching standard of that particular English literature course, which at the time was due to being switched continuously between two teachers.

Due to the fact that I've been exposed to much worse, and far less interesting literature over the years; I'm able to give this book three stars, which I would have otherwise given only one star, had I not come across books clutching to the hope of being almost considered literature.

I recommend this book for those not too serious about using it for purposes of studying the English language, as better literature exists out there.
on 29 February 2008

(I have a lot to say about this one)
It would be easy to dismiss this book. The writer and his characters, I think, lack the moral compass. That said, Oscar Wilde had something to say about what sin does to a person and how it can even affect one's countenance. There is no cure for a hard heart or a life lived only to watch out for one's self. Only tragedy follows such a path, as the lead character in this book learns. Dorian Grey once yelled out a heartfelt plea to remain for the rest of his life as beautiful as he was at that moment. His wish was granted and he never aged from that point. The painting that he had just sat for, however, did change...with each and every selfish act he committed. Dorian's actions were not always even meant to cause the amount of pain that they did, but they did nonetheless. His gilted, innocent lover even killed herself over her remorse at having lost his attention and respect over something so temporal and silly. From that moment, for Dorian, each hard and selfish act only lead to more of the same. Disaster continued to follow. Eventually he decided to change and live a life that was pure. After one selfless act of love he expected the portrait to have changed back to one of beauty and when it did not he chose to end his life.

Originally I would have rated this book as 1 *. It took me about 80 pages, and a big devotion to go that far, in order to sort of get hooked by the book and its tale. Overall I like what the book says about a life lived not only IN sin but a life that even reveres sinfulness. For that I can finally say I am glad I read it and can understand its long-standing as a classic of literature.
on 12 April 2015
The first Oscar Wilde book I've bothered with. Enjoyed it, sometimes long winded as expected from literary classics but had to finish it!
on 10 November 2013
A true classic, well written .this is Oscar Wilde, s masterpiece still worth reading in the 21st century as it was in the 19th, riveting.
on 13 April 2016
And interesting concept and look at the dark side of society nut the endless lists of fanciful items and ideas where just boring to read
on 1 April 2016
A bit flowery, but great the way it shows how some people used to live. Very easy to read. Idea for sitting by the pool in the sunshine
on 12 April 2014
You cannot beat these old classic books for a good old moralistic tale without the constant dribble of carnal behaviour. Read and enjoy.
on 21 January 2014
Superb book!
Why didn't I read this earlier in my life?
A really enjoyable read.
Sir Henry is an outstanding character :)
on 23 September 2013
A great read. I won't spoil it for anybody, but simply say it's a book which stays in my memory, great quotes and worthy of the 5 stars.