5.0 out of 5 stars Useful but check your German level first!
The way the book works is that you get short chapters all in German. Some of the text is in a bold font and at the end of the chapter you will find translations for all of the bold words - great!

Published 7 months ago by Mr. Hm Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars ok ish for improving your vocabulary
Not brilliant, but not too bad either. Helpful for improving (slightly) your vocabulary and fairly pleasant to read. My level of German is (in theory) around B1
Published 1 month ago by Ilias

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful but check your German level first!, 9 Jun. 2014
Mr. Hm Bennett "howardbennett3" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Please note: THERE IS NOT A TRANSLATION FOR ALL TEXT - ONLY FOR THE BOLD TEXT - if you don't understand the text that isn't in bold - stuff that is pretty basic German, you will be reaching for a dictionary all the time.

For me, <1 years lessons at the Goethe Institute in London, 3 hours per week and lots of Duolingo practice, this book was useful - I knew more or less all of the plain text and probably half of the bold stuff.

So, in summary; this book would be absolutely perfect for someone with about 6 months of German under their belt and if you haven't tried the wonderful Duolingo yet, it will help you with this tremendously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 25 Feb. 2014
D. Thompson "denthomp" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learn German With Stories: Café in Berlin - 10 Short Stories For Beginners (Paperback)
I am at an intermediate level - completed Pimsleur, Michel Thomas etc and at the point where I am looking for actual material to read rather than just listen and repeat.
This is fantastic. Actually really funny short stories all in German, that gave me great confidence as I could read and understand 90% and then there is a guide to highlighted words/sentences at the end of each story.
Stories about 3/4 pages long, so you can read through, do the vocab, and then read through again fully understanding (hopefully!).
There is also a quiz at the end of each story.
Have purchased a couple of the Authors other books, and they are looking just as good.
Only downside is its only about 100 pages in total but I will go back and enjoy again once I have read the others. Also a good price - well worth it if you are at a point where you are moving on from lessons, but not quite at the point where you can say watch German TV or Film just yet.
Great job André keep them coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cafe in Berlin, 23 Mar. 2014
I have just started to learn German and am persevering with this little book which is very good and funny. Although I can't obviously understand all the words I can get the gist of the story and by using a German to English dictionary I am finding having the two a very good way of learning. I would recommend this simple little book to help in learning German but you must persevere. I have this book on my Kindle so I find it very easy to refer to the Kindle Dictionary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, 11 Mar. 2014
HJS (South Africa) - See all my reviews
I am in the process of learning German and this has been a fantastic book for my level. Challenging enough to make one try and put the words you are unsure of into context and "easy" enough for one to get the gist of the story. The stories are short - wish there were more - but long enough to keep one interested. Will definitely download more of his books

5.0 out of 5 stars User friendly, 5 Mar. 2014
I love this book. The short stories are easy to read, possible unknown words are emboldened and explained in subsequent pages-the rest can mostly be worked out by context. Dino is a likeable character and the stories give a believable account of life in Berlin. I just wish the book had more pages as it is a quick read. Perhaps Andre could release a book with 20 or 50 stories, no one would mind paying a bit more for the extra pages and his next book could be enjoyed for longer. Buy this book if you want to get into reading stories in German with greater ease.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cafe in Paris, 9 Mar. 2014
Chris Hjelt (Bedford,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The stories are short enough not to be come an effort to read. Translation of key words and phrases is included at the end of each chapter so I did not have to resort to a dictionary.

The books are an excellent idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent starting point., 10 Feb. 2014
I am being coached on a one to one basis by a native German speaker. My enthusiasm sometimes gets ahead of me.

I purchased one or two books which my coach was not happy about. The reason being that they employed future perfect and past tenses. Her opinion was that I was not ready for such complexities in the language. Or maybe she just thought that I was a bit thick!

I purchased Café in Berlin, which I can fully comprehend. I can also reread chapters without becoming bored because I know that my comprehension of the story and the language is becoming greater. At the end of each chapter there is a mini dictionary which translates words which the beginner would be unlikely to know. There are one or two words which the author assumes that the student will know, but who is right?

I will certainly purchase other books in this series and, when my tutor allows, I will move on to more complex stories.

In summary, if you are new to the language and want a simple introduction to German writing, I commend this book to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to learn German, 12 Mar. 2014
This book is a fun way to help learn German. A lot of the new words you can guess from the context but a translation is provided.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Way to Learn German, 11 Feb. 2014
I found these German stories an excellent way to improve my German both in reading and speaking. My vocabulary has also improved, I hope more stories will be added to this excellent learning tool. Thank you for the help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Squalor and Students, what's not to like?, 21 Aug. 2014
Excellent book, I'm only on the second story as my German is - good grammar, poor vocabulary, so I'm missing the sense of some things, but I'm really enjoying it.

The people in the story are so believable, it's full of humour and keeps you reading to see what happens next. And the fridge - who hasn't lived somewhere where that happens? :D

This is exactly the book I'd want to read if I was learning any language.

Learn German With Stories: Café in Berlin - 10 Short Stories For Beginners