5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must read' for everyone who eats!
Published 11 months ago by AK Bedson

1.0 out of 5 stars King of the preachy vegans
The book would be ok for a vegetarian curious about veganism but I don't see it being much use to anyone else.

Minus one for only being available on Kindle which is not compatible with my iRiver or my phone (OS 4.1), having to sit at the computer desk negates somewhat the joy of reading books; you may as well just read websites.

Minus one for Prof...
Published 10 months ago by DDREmma

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must read' for everyone who eats!, 1 Aug 2013
As a long-term vegan I'm pretty good at responding to virtually ANY question or jibe about eating meat or dairy - it does, however, get tiring (and boring!) endlessly fighting my corner. This book is the answer to my prayers! I read it in one sitting it's presented in such an easy and logical, naturally flowing text. As soon as it is available as a hard copy, I'll be passing it on to everyone I know! If you think friends and family would be resistant to reading it then at least you'll be supplied with articulate and pertinent responses to their 'suggestions' about your diet. You could even just get them to read the relevant few pages that answer their particular angle on the subject. I think this book will make most reasonable people consider veganism as a valid and optimal choice and help erode the current popular belief that veganism is 'extreme'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 2 Aug 2013
I read this book in one sitting also, the writing flows and I couldnt put it down. When 'Eat like you care' is available in paper form I will be buying for friends and family. Nobody who reads this can argue that animals are here for us to use in any way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book., 7 Aug 2013
Brilliant - all the smart responses to those who say "But...?" I'd recommend it to everyone with a conscience. x

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat Like You Care, 4 Aug 2013
P. Wooding (London) - See all my reviews
Long term vegan and animal rights advocates Gary Francione and his partner Anna Charlton have written this concise and clear treatise on why we should refuse to exploit animals. They cover just about every angle, presenting coherent and hard-to-refute arguments against each possible contrary assertion - those "but"s that are constantly hurled at vegans and also used by omnivores to justify their position and convince themselves that they never could, should or would give up animal products.

The book is aimed at both vegans who can use the book as a tool to assist with presenting the moral case whenever needed and also at anyone else who might possibly be contemplating veganism or simply interested. I found it easy and quick to read and covered just about everything I could wish for in my daily dealings with non-vegans on the issue. It's useful to keep on your portable device, carry around and dip into on ad hoc occasions, just as a refresher should it be needed. It's good to be able to give confident clarity, structure and articulation to one's arguments which are based on both logic and also on what one knows in one's heart to be irrefutably true. It will surely be most welcome among nearly all vegans and contemplating vegans alike.

The book finishes with a long list of reasons as to why non-veganism is extreme (turning around the usual assertion).

"... What is extreme is that we are consuming a diet that is causing disease and resulting in ecological disaster. What is extreme is that we encourage our children to love animals at the same time that we teach them those whom they love can also be those whom they harm. We teach our children that loving others is consistent with hurting them. That is truly extreme -- and very sad. What is extreme is the fantasy that we will ever find our moral compass with respect to animals as long as they are on our tables. What is extreme is that we say we care about animals but we continue to eat animals and animal products."

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read, 31 July 2013
This very elegant little book bears all of the usual hallmarks of Francione's writing: clear, crisp and compelling. Francione strips back the various moral arguments for not eating animal products to a simple premise: if you accept that it is wrong to inflict unnecessary suffering on animals, then there is no moral justification for eating them (or products derived from them). The argument being that anything that is done for pleasure or convenience is, by definition, unnecessary, and that all of our attempted justifications for eating animals fall under one of these heads. Francione goes on to list all of the main arguments put forward to support the eating of animal products - tradition, culture, nutritional necessity etc - and neatly disposes of them one by one. If you are not yet vegan, this work will make you do some serious thinking. And if you are, it will help you to navigate your way through our very unvegan world, and to give elegant, simple answers to the multitude of muddled, confused questions you face every day. Highly recommended reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and concise A-Z., 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Eat Like You Care: An Examination of the Morality of Eating Animals (Paperback)
An absolute must read for any person interested in the plight of animals and wishing to consider or adopt a vegan moral life or respond to queries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 20 Nov 2013
Not only was this very informative but really easy to follow. The writing was clear and concise. I would recommend this to everyone, vegan, vegetarian of meat eater

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 30 July 2013
The most inspirational work on veganism. Everything is explained in a way that it's pretty impossible for non vegans to argue with.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is of major importance!, 2 Feb 2014
Professor Gary L Francione has written a clearly argued case against the exploitation of animals, and their right to freedom from slavery. The book is concise and to the point, I have found it profoundly enlightening and recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant., 2 Jan 2014
An absolute must for anyone like myself who believes veganism the only way forward. Truly informative and answers all the questions I, and everyone else around me has been asking. Well written and simply a great book.

Eat Like You Care: An Examination of the Morality of Eating Animals