5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful collection, 23 Sep 2013
This collection of complete stories, each 100 words long, is perfect when you're hanging out for a reading fix but don't have time to get involved in a complex plot. There is plenty of variety, which might suggest that there will be something for everyone - however, I enjoyed them all. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 great little tales, 9 Mar 2014
In this collection of drabbles there is something for everyone including several "Maureen" drabbles which all her fans will enjoy. Some of the drabbles are amusing; some challenging and thought provoking; some are macabre; and "The History of Art Revealed" is laugh aloud funny. Needless to say, all are highly readable and entertaining written with style and panache.
Jonathan Hill succeeds in making each of the stories a perfect little miniature often with an unexpected twist at the end. Or, where the ending is anticipated, there is a satisfying sense of completeness.
This collection of drabbles makes ideal reading when circumstances prevent you from settling down to a full novel and for only £1 is remarkably good value at just one penny per story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection of Drabbles, 14 Nov 2013
I like Drabbles, those little gems of stories with exactly 100 words.
The author has written a varied collection thus ensuring something for everyone.
Not all of the tales were to my taste but that is the whole point. The variety will
find favour with anybody and everybody. You can choose what you read, when you want to read it.
I took my time reading the collection, because initially, it became too easy to slip into the rhythm of one after another.
For me I preferred a quieter tempo.
It was fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great variety, 26 Aug 2013
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'll confess to partiality here - I've recently become very keen on drabbles - one hundred word stories. When they are well done, the story is a little gem, often with an unexpected twist at the end. These are very well done. I intended to read one or two per session and to allow myself to digest them before reading more, but this is the ebook equivalent of a tub of Pringles. Once you pop, you can't stop! I confess to having read them all back to back but I know I'll have this on my kindle home page for a long time, just to dip into.

This book is the first I'm aware of with a collection of drabbles from a single author and I was impressed at the range of styles. We have gently amusing, outright funny, some rather risqué stories, dark horror and a number of moving and sad tales here. There's a lot of food for thought in some of them. I enjoyed the `linked' ones scattered throughout the book, on the same theme or with the same character.
I hope this book takes off because I'd love to see more drabble collections. They are the ideal `only got a minute' reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars A ton of lightweight tales from a heavyweight storyteller, 26 Mar 2014
One of the modern masters of the drabble format, Jonathan Hill gives us a hundred original stories of precisely one hundred words each. This collection shows off a huge amount of creativity, imagination and mischievous wordplay, with drabbles across a range of genres from comedy to tragedy.

It's tempting to sit down and consume this book in one go, as each drabble is so quick and easy to read. But many of them are subtle and require digestion, while others deserve to linger in your mind for a while, rather than being blown away by the next great little tale.

Although each works as a standalone, some are part of mini-arcs such as 'The History of Art Revealed' and 'Stage Debut' that give them a common theme. There is also a moving mini-story told in multiple drabbles portraying the life of a man named Miles, plus of course Jonathan's hit character Maureen pops up a few times, as hopelessly funny as ever! The author also manages to guest-star a few times, making fun of himself and his addiction to writing drabbles.

This is a highly recommended book to read in-between longer novels, and may even inspire you to try writing a 100-word story yourself. But be warned: Jonathan makes it look a lot easier than it really is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dabblicious, 23 Sep 2013
M. Brookes - See all my reviews
Anyone who knows me knows the I love drabbles, if you don't know what drabbles are then they are a form of short fiction that are exactly 100 words long (not including the title). What makes them fun is that they are a bite-size story that can be enjoyed in those little gaps in the day. They also present a good challenge for writers trying to make a story coherent and interesting in so few words.

In this latest book by Jonathan Hill he presents 100 drabbles and they come in all kinds of flavours, many are dark, many are funny and many are both. I've read the author's drabbles on various sites, so when he announced that he was writing a book full of them I was immediately interested and I'm pleased to say that I wasn't dissapointed.

He is a master of the form, many of the finest drabbles are structured like a good job, they set you up and then twist the tale right at the end. There are some fine examples of this in the book, there's also some fun themes throughout with some of the drabbles forming a series. And for fans of Maureen, she makes a few appearences as well.

Overall this is a fun and quick read, you can read them all at once as I did, or dip in and out when you feel like it. I'm pleased that the drabble form is growing in popularity and this book should certainly help with that cause.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Aug 2013
Great stories, great imagination. Good for a quick dip.
However be wary. This book is like a well-known crisp - impossible to stop at one.

100 One Hundred Word Tales
100 One Hundred Word Tales by Jonathan Hill (Paperback - 6 Dec 2013)