on 17 January 2012
A gem. This book offers a helping hand to the average, non-technical computer user, and hope for a better understanding of how websites work and how to make them work. It's particularly useful for the absolute beginner and anyone thinking of their own website for the first time, but it also explains for us dabblers what we might have been doing wrong. The section on SEO is crucial. Even the more experienced webmaster will find the links to Brian's blogs and other outside resources are well worth the price of the ebook.
on 28 January 2013
I was in the process of building my own site and thought I could do with some tips, or even reassurance. I got both.
It's a useful overview of site design and the pitfalls amateurs may be unaware of. The information is easy to read, even for a newbie. It's tricky for such a book to include all suppliers but Brian at least covers the basics when it comes to hosting, blogging. There's no getting around jargon and that's the strength of this book, it explains it all without making you feel like a dummy. For me that was particularly useful. There were sections where I go a little lost in the midst of HTML and CSS but the book stands up to repeat reading.

I learn better by seeing, especially with technical things so I would have liked a few more illustrations which is why I didn't give it 5 stars. But for a technical person writing for the lay person I thought it was a good buy.
on 21 January 2012
For all newcomers to website design and implementation, this book is an excellent guide through all the confusing jargon. It is also very useful to lazy designers like myself as it answers questions with areas such as Google ranking etc, thereby saving time searching for answers on the web. A very good buy.
on 28 December 2011
I often wondered what makes a good website, and why some are better than others. Brian Stephens has come up with humdinger of a guide, stripping away all the jargon and explaining just what goes on, and how even a layperson with no dreams of becoming a computer expert can have his or her own website, at a surprisingly low price. A bargain of a book - at a giveaway price.
on 11 January 2012
I was really struggling to set up a website for my business, I work independently and didn't want to pay the massive prices charged by web designers. This book helped me to understand how to create and manage a website of my own design with ease. No over complicated language, just easy to understand guides. A great help!
on 18 August 2015
When I saw the title “Web Design Guide.... for Beginners” I thought it would be a simple guide on how to design a simple page and put it on web – not a bit of it. Instead, the “book” turned out be full of waffle – all 101 pages of it. At first I thought, it may or may not be a good book, but, didn’t think that a non-fiction can also be a claptrap.
I looked forward to some sort of useful instructions on how to design a Webpage for myself. Instead, I was made to read seriously emphasised price guide:
- Domain Registration from £3 ($4.50) per year
- Domain Hosting from £36 ($54) per year
- Website Design from as little as £100 ($150) – a one-off cost.
So, I started skipping the boring bits. And before I knew it, I was at the last page of the book – still looking for a chapter on how to design a Webpage for myself.
Have I learnt anything to justify the price? The answer is “Zit”. Were there a normal 12-months guarantee that “money back if the book didn’t work”, I would have returned it already and asked for refund.
on 14 December 2014