5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read. A whole future culture defined...,
Published on 2 Sept. 2012 by Allan Edward Tierney

2.0 out of 5 stars Atopia
The Atopia Chronicles is the first in a two book series. It's a Science Fiction novel and it is set in a floating land, that man made for the rich. It's a land where electronics are advanced and people have their own PSSI systems installed. It's like a holigraphic image that can do just about everything. You can send images of yourself to different places, basically...
Published 14 hours ago by SarahLJ

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read. A whole future culture defined...,, 2 Sept. 2012
I read this over four days of intensive sessions and I was highly impressed. The author describes a very possible future in loving detail. He doesn't make the mistake of trying to delineate every detail from the start but lovingly (and with great literary style) builds your knowledge of this new world bit by bit throughout. I was highly impressed with the sheer creativity of the author in many respects, the new concepts he came up with, the wonderful language he uses to describe them and always and ever the reality with which you can almost touch this created world.

The first 80% or so of this book I simply loved. When it came to the later part, the chronicles following each identity I began to feel there was perhaps a little too much detail. These will however be a mine of information for those who wish to delve ever deeper into the characters in greater depth.

When it finally came time for the ending I was not disappointed. The author did a wonderful job of drawing all the diverse stories together and provided an epic and believable ending with plenty of twists and turns.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves good sci-fi. Mr Mather has clearly spent a huge amount of time getting his storyline and ideas in place and it shows. And, at the price it's a "why not?" buy... You will feel completely immersed in a new world. And it is unlikely you will ever forget the experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars It can be a struggle, but it is a good read., 21 Aug. 2013
Book Review: The Atopia Chronicles by Matthew Mather
Reviewed by J Bryden Lloyd

Writing Style - 4.0/5.0 (Very Good)
Just like the prequel, this work is compiled as a first person narrative, however, in this case the narrative is split between a whole group of main characters.
I have to be honest and say that - although the effect was good - I found the whole read came across far more complicated than it needed to be. Equally, at times I found very little difference in the responses and thought processes of the characters, and to prove this to myself, I tried skipping to different pages (once I had finished the book) to see if I could discern (within reason) which character's point of view I was reading. I got 3 correct out of 8 or 9 attempts.
The dialogue is strong and well thought through, but all-in-all, this writing style doesn't quite match the quality of its predecessor.

Character Development - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent)
With so many main characters and their digital companions running about the plotlines, I had hoped the development would work, and it does. Perhaps not with the accomplished brilliance of the first book, but then there are more players in the game this time.
Although there were instances where you had to second guess why things were the way they were (especially in the early stages), things did seem to gel rather well, and characters grew around you as you followed each of them.

Descriptive - 3.5/5.0 (Good)
I have to admit, there were elements within this where the descriptive still left me confused. Partly because explanations for things were splintered across several character viewpoints, and partly because a lot of assumptions were made on the part of the author.
Beyond the `virtual environments, the descriptive was excellent - although it turned out that a lot of the assumed `real' environments were also virtual in different ways.
This was just another thing which added complication to the read and served to slow my understanding a little as things developed.

Language & Grammar - 4.0/5.0 (Very Good)
I did feel that a few words here and there were incorrect, and that there were a handful of unnecessary commas and the like, but the general structure and word usage was excellent.
With such a technologically advanced society well into the throes of their own `normal', this highlighted what needed highlighting and accepted what didn't without question.

Plot - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent) - NO SPOILERS
I thought the plot and the sub-plots that led to the ending were superb. I also really enjoyed the processes that took the reader to the conclusion, and the promise of what was to come.
Yes, this would have been a much nicer (and somewhat easier) read, had it been written in third person. But the structure makes the plot work better than I expected it to.

General - 4.0/5.0 (Very Good)
Cards on the table. The reader does get a little swamped with the high tech sci-fi elements from the start, and then I did feel things became very complicated very quickly.
Having said that, the very nature of the work makes it a necessity.
This is a very good story, but the reader needs to be in it for the long haul, because when things happen, they happen quickly... but remember, the Devil's in the detail.

Personally, I enjoyed the book very much, though I also thought it was very hard work. The continually shifting viewpoints were sometimes irritating, and although I understood the reasoning, The occasional repetition and the fact that some people aren't real whilst others are, can be off-putting.
There are suggestions made of androids, but I never really got to grips with their uses... unless of course, I misunderstood.
The good old "trotting into the distance and on to the next part of the mission" makes an excellent ending, though some of the revelations at the end are just a little out of left field.

For this, just about four stars, and hoping the following sequel is as good as it promises to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect world is never quite perfect, 25 July 2013
The Atopia Chronicles is a series of books that are told from various vantage points. Not many books can pull off this style and either lean too much on character development or storyline. Here we have a clever balance of both.

The story is set on the island of Atopia, just off the coast of America. Everyone in Atopia has PSSI, a kind of virtual reality that allows you to be in many places at once, anywhere you want, at any time. The technology is described throughout but doesn't over complicate matters and as such gives the reader enough to understand to progress through the book but leave plenty of room to let imagination take over.

The characters in the book are developed well, although I was left wanting to know more about a couple of them. Readers of CyberStorm will recognise Patricia and Vince. There may also be a couple of other names you recognise. However you dont need to have read CyberStorm to read the Atopia Chronicles, but I would recommend it.

Overall its an enjoyable read. It starts off a bit slowly and understanding how PSSI works isn't intantly obvious but plough on and things become much clearer and the pace increases until the final book ties everything together very well. You almost find yourself wishing the PSSI technology was real.

However there is a cliffhanger to the story which will be continued in the sequel "Dystopia". Looking forward to it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just watch out for James!!!, 29 Jan. 2014
Loved the book a but confusing to start with but as most books start it built up and pace you understand how the story goes and you also know how Jimmy/James play a major part in the story.
Definitely recommend this book if you are sci-fi nut

4.0 out of 5 stars Hurry up and write the next one., 11 Jan. 2014
I have become a bit of an addict for virtual reality fiction and cyberpunk genre and this book doesn't disappoint. The writing style is unusual in the sense that it is first person and each chapter puts you into the perspective of each character as they interact with each other. In fact once I got the swing of it I could almost imagine what pssi might feel like as I flittered between perceptions.

The book keeps you in suspense all the way through, each perception giving you a piece of the jigsaw bit by bit. The end while fitting came as quite a surprise. However there are quite a few loose ends that need tying up which I hope Mathew addresses in his sequel Dystopia.

I thought this was brilliant and Im looking forward to what the band of pssi kids get up to in the next one.

The prequel Cyberstorm is quite good as well but I enjoyed Atopia Chronicles best of the two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 28 Oct. 2012
I bought this book on Hugh Howey's recommendation. At first I almost put it down, it started off slowly for my tastes. Then I started to get into how a bunch of seemingly-unrelated stories tied into and overlapped with one another and I couldn't put it down. It always seemed to switch tack when I needed most to know what happened next. Then I would start getting into the next character's world, and it happened again. Certain characters from one story would appear as walk-on parts in others.
The character development, while far from the best I've ever seen, was better than average among science fiction novels I've read. The real forte of these stories though is the strength and believability of the future predictions in it, and the matter of fact way that they are laid out. Honestly, I can't wait for Mr. Mather's next work.

5.0 out of 5 stars breaking new ground, 2 April 2014
I was very impressed by this book, it took me to new places. It was not so much some of the tech involved, metaverses, nanotechnology, VR and AR but what these will bring in changes to how people live and even what it means to be human. The story, plot and characters are all engrossing though there is probably room for the author to draw the characters in more depth. I am looking forward to the sequel

4.0 out of 5 stars An Intriguing Science Fiction Story!, 2 July 2014
I was recommended this book/series by Amazon,since I love science fiction. It sounded interesting, so I downloaded this on audio book. I must admit it was an intriguing story!

There are several characters in this book, and because it would take too long to do a character breakdown for every single one, I have decided to just jump right in to my review.

There are several narrators that bring each of the six chronicles to life. They are: Luke Daniels, Angela Dawe, Tanya Eby, Amy McFadden, Mikael Naramore and Nick Podehl. I am not sure who narrated the first chronicle, but I nearly stopped listening to the story within the first 15 minutes. The lady had a thick New York or Brooklyn accent that, I am sorry to say, really put me off; no offence meant to New Yorkers or Brooklynites. The nasal tone of the narrator made me cringe, as her voice sounded whiny and it gave me a headache. However, I persevered and I am glad I did; the rest of the narrators were a pleasure to listen to.

The story was a wonderful mix of science fiction, fantasy and reality. The first chronicle was set in New York, but the rest of the series was set on the island of Atopia, a large man-made floating island in the Pacific. Dr. Patricia Killiam is launching a new virtual reality platform. However, everything is not as it seems.
This story takes the reader on a fast paced roller coaster ride! Every character involved in this story is affected by certain events that culminate in an amazing showdown with a desperate and slightly crazy individual.
The story did feel a bit disjointed at times, but I suppose it's because it was originally written in sections. I really liked Bob (Robert Baxter), who was a bit of a drunkard and drug addict, but he has reason to be. I don't believe that drink and drugs are a solution to a problem or situation, but in his defense, it was understandable. This book actually terrified me, in a way. With the way we are advancing with our computers, and the virtual reality in movies getting better and better, this technology could, in the not too distant future, become more readily available. The line between what is real and what is virtual is growing thinner and blurrier all the time. This could, in the wrong hands, be used as a kind of mind control one day, and this absolutely terrifies me. If the life we now live is an illusion, what would be the point in living it? Are we actually already living in a virtual world? This kind of story makes a person think very deep and philosophical thoughts. That being said, I really enjoyed the story. The ending finished on a slight cliffhanger, and now I am looking forward to continuing the Chronicles by reading/listening to The Dystopia Chronicles, which will be released in August this year.

Matthew Mather has written a intriguing science fiction series. His characters were very lifelike. I loved his fast paced writing style and, even though the flow was a bit disjointed in places, I would definitely read more of his books in the future.

Due to the mention of alcohol and drug abuse, I do not recommend this book to younger readers. I do, however, recommend this book to lovers of science fiction or dystopian fiction genres. - Lynn Worton

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, cleverly written book., 22 Jan. 2014
I picked this up on a whim when it kept appearing on my recommended list, and boy am I glad I did!

The Atopia Chronicles starts deceptively slowly, with the air of a collection of short, moral stories rather than a novel. The more you read, the more the stories become entwined in a conspiracy of a huge scale, and if anyone sees the plot twist coming at the end they're much more astute than I!

Thoroughly recommended and unlike others, I hope this is just the start of the story and it continues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-Fi at it's best, 22 July 2013
D. J. Bird "dinkybloopig" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
In the tradition of earlier great Sci-Fi such as Arthur C. Clarke who predicted the satellite , Mather creates a world where social media predominates to night mare proportions . This novel could well be our own future. Much of the technology either exists, is in development , or is an obvious progression thereof. Well written with well formed characters , who the reader could easily identify with. This would be a good introduction to so called hard Sci-Fi , while being accessible

The Atopia Chronicles
The Atopia Chronicles by Matthew Mather (MP3 CD - 7 Jan. 2014)
Used & New from: £45.28