5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 29 Aug. 2013
Ana C. Silva - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awoken (Paperback)
If you had told me that this book would beat Twilight at its own game, I'd have laughed in your face, then give you a wedgie.

However, I just am speechless, two chapters in and I'm already totally drawn by the writing, the characters, the mythos! It's a grand work of art, the book of a generation, no doubt! Vampires are so last season -- the Great Old Ones are here to stay and eat your heart (while stealing it) with their deep eyes, their Adonis physiques and their stilted Olde Englishe speech patterns.

Tentacles have never been this sexy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, in the best way., 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Awoken (Paperback)
I read this, expecting it to be hilariously awful in the way that I found Twilight, or 50 Shades of Grey.

I was disappointed. It's actually good.

It's well written, the characters are compelling, and the plot is interesting, and well thought out.

I was disappointed that it wasn't awful, but still glad I read it. It's a surprisingly good read, even for me who is obviously not their target market -- a 21 year old man.

I'd wholly recommend Awoken to most people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paranormal romance is by no means dead!, 27 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Awoken (Paperback)
I've been reading paranormal romances since before Twilight was big and this one stands as one of the best out there! The writing and the story are both top notch!

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably good, 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Awoken (Paperback)
I picked this up expecting to be entertained by awfulness and it followed through. Andi Slate is the bitchiest little brat of a teenage girl that I've encountered since Twilight, especially to her friends and parents, all of whom seem to be more more human and relatable characters despite having very limited screentime. She is also a total idiot. On the subject of the secondary characters, though, I especially enjoyed the references by Uncle Neil to other works such as Harry Potter and Supernatural. The Phantom of the Opera references were also entertaining.

I also have to give praise to the plot. Especially in comparison to Twilight it was cohesive, it spanned the whole book and actually seemed to have pretty reasonable pacing.

I only give it four stars because Andi was just too awful for me to really love the book. I read it once and will probably read it again, but even for entertainment value it's not going to be a favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sad I missed the launch in NY, 3 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Awoken (Kindle Edition)
Finally there is a paranormal romance that I can actually relate to. I can't wait to start writing my own fanfic of this. Y'hah.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book smelled like donuts!, 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Awoken (Paperback)
A faint musk of crispy crème to be precise and that alone was enough for me to bump this book up a star.

'Awoken' puts 'Twilight' in its place with this magnum opus. 'Masterpiece' is not the word to describe it as you explore the ordinary world of Andromeda turned upside down by a little light reading of the Necronomicon and a passionate romance that rivals Romeo and Juliet (By at least a week). Serra Elinsen has a gift for prose and plot which, if not weeping for one reason or another by the dialogue between two souls combined, will have any Lovecraftian beating their heads against the wall while tears escape them by the climax (this Lovecraft fan sure was!).

I see high hopes for this author (and her five 'rumbunctious children!). Now all that I can do is sacrifice newborns to the Old Ones in hope that some day a sequel will be unleashed upon the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my this was funny... and surprisingly good, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Awoken (Kindle Edition)
I knew going in that this wasn't a complete tongue-in-cheek parody, but my goodness, when I realised how self-aware this was about the tropes so commonly found in YA paranormal romances it was just comedy gold.

1.Mary-sue "I'm so painfully normal, but I guess I have big eyes and nice skin and am painfully skinny" lead
2.Mysterious "insert paranormal creature here" boy who is clearly making this a one-sided, controlling, abusive, relationship, (but he's just so dreamy and attractive and I know he's only kidnapping me for my own protection right?)
3.Loving parents and nice practically zero-note friends who constantly get shunned/abused/ignored by the main character because "They're the most important people in my life... but they just wouldn't understand the complications of my relationship with "insert paranormal creature here" who I've known for like a whole week, so I have to keep them in the dark for they're own good"
4.Characters you wish the novel was about but sadly only pop up in a few chapters... (see uncle Neil)

The weird thing was also how surprisingly well crafted the story was and how much work had clearly gone into making this blank slate of a character a true embodiment of the one-note idiot protagonists who dominate this genre.
This beautiful abomination of literature actually surpasses most of it's competitors "most notably Twilight" by actually having a plot... that kept going and doesn't just meander around with the characters doing nothing but talk with the protagonist being an idiot... well they do, but there are actually plot points throughout the novel... THERE IS A STORY HERE.

The thing that really impresses me the most is the clear amount of effort that went into making this work so believably bad and similar to that of it's genre e.g the attention to detail given to how the author clearly was too lazy to have any attention to detail when it comes to writing about REAL LOCATIONS as to where their story is set and also the writing... it's just terribly abominably good. THe clear intentional lack of any real depth of knowledge of the source mythos is great, especially a mythos such as the Cthulu Mythos which WILL anger anyone with even a casual knowledge of it. The over-written descriptions which feels like the author wrote it and then switched 80 per cent of the words with others with the thesaurus function are just perfect. And how the lead here is just so.... so very Ve-hery dumb, her oh so grandiose quotations from Phantom of the opera novel coupled with her total self-absorbtion just cements her as the most unlikable character I have seen in a while... and it's perfect. At least twenty times throughout reading this I stopped and said either, "...Did you really just say that?" or "My God you are the most selfish, self-absorbed idiotdv;0zvb jhtueiwyk kh ngudhysg (inauble rage/laughter)"

Also... this thing has some of the most hilariously memorable quotes in it to match Twilgiht's infamous "and so the lion fell in love with the lamb" e.g "You cannot comprehend me, pultry diminuative one," he growled, "therefore you cannot love me and that is why I cannot go out with you," and "I saw a tear slide down his cheek, "I cannot take you to the Pumpkin Ball"

So all in all If you want an excellent subtle(ish) parody of all that is popular in YA fiction today then give it a read for laughs and a surprisingly well thought out story. You won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I've Ever Read in 2013!!!!!, 27 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Awoken (Paperback)
I just wanna say that I love to read. I also just loooooove the sea. I really like love stories too, especially when the guy talks like a gentleman none of this gangsta talk. but yeah, this book is jus what i was looking for. riley is such a sweet guy and andi is awesome badass!! this book is sooooo good! I cant wait for the movie omg! That would be awesome! can i be in it? :o

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Awoken (Kindle Edition)
Move over Bella and Edward, Andi and Riley have you beat!

I mean their romance is so much more forbidden, y'know? He's so unlike her. He needs to destroy the world. She teaches him love and I cried so much over this book.

Andi is super relatable and I just love her. Oh god you don't realise how much you have to read this book it's just the greatest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hated the main characters but I still loved it., 22 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Awoken (Kindle Edition)
If you're expecting twilight- then yeah the two main characters are definitely twilight.

And the rest of it wasn't.

It's so self aware it's brilliant and yet compared to the other stuff out there that is meant to be taken seriously- this is written so much better.

In fact if it wasn't for the twilight tropes in the main characters it would have been fantastic to read.

I really hope the author keeps going but runs away from twilight teen fiction paranormal romance and instead does just paranormal adventure in a modern world as I think she would have something.

Awoken
Awoken by Serra Elinsen (Paperback - 19 Aug. 2013)